Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

anaesthetic consent form

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jenna123 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I read this and its making me worry about neutering Boo...

Please remember that even though neutering is a "routine" surgery for most vet clinics, animals can still die from surgical and/or anaesthetic complications. Animals can have sudden, fatal allergic reactions to the drugs used by the vet; they can have an underlying disease that no-one is aware of, which makes them unsafe to operate on; they can vomit whilst under anaesthesia and choke and so on. Things happen (very rarely, but they do) and you need to be aware of this before signing an anaesthetic consent form.

But I did find on this forum the key questions to ask when scheduling anesthetic procedure for our maltese and I will ask the vet those questions, but it still worries me :(

#2 ·
That's why we get blood tests run on our dogs before they are operated on. That helps as far as underlying health issues that can put them at jeopardy. The possibilities you mentioned can happen to our dogs, our children or us when we go under anesthesia and have surgery done. It's a very small number of pets and people who have such reactions but if you have a good vet they are monitoring all the vitals when your dog is under. Make sure your vet does both of the above - and also ask what they use to warm the dogs after surgery. You DO NOT want electric heating pads. They can burn a dog. There is a typer that has warm circulating water that is safer.
Except for a few, almost all of our dogs on here have been neutered and spayed and did just fine.

#4 ·
Like others said - get blood work done first...

And no matter how "routine" it is... we always worry about our babies... that is totally normal. Let us know when you are neutering Boo so that we can send him lots of positive vibes and prayers :)

#11 ·
#7 · (Edited)
At the vet hospital w/Kitzi recently the surgeon went over all of this w/us as a matter of routine. Anesthesia reactions have to do w/allergies too, not just underlying medical issues. I am allergic to local anesthesia and have had 3 severe reactions to different kinds. It is always a risk---but a studied one and vets are usually as prepared as anyone can be for reversal should it become necessary. Mostly it is not needed. Your fear is not unfounded, but it is certainly something for which the doctor/vet will be well prepared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.