Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Wondering if my baby girl is a maltese!

18K views 38 replies 33 participants last post by  zooeysmom 
#1 ·
When we first got her, the people we got her from told us she was a maltese. Recently, I started doing a bit more research on this breed and I read that they normally only exist in white or with patches of brown.

Lucky is black and white. She looks like a maltese. Could she possibly be a mix?
Here she is! Don't mind me, haha.

See less See more
#36 ·
She's a cutie pie she's 100% "purebred adorable"...
Looks Maltese Shihtzu or possible yorkie or poodle in the mix..

You can get a DNA test for about $75, which could help in case of any breed specific health issues,it's always good to know.

It's not a requirement to have a Maltese here.. many of us have other breeds.. We just love dogs, that's all that counts..

Love her photobombing in the middle pix.
Hope to see more of the both of you!

Welcome and hugs

#38 ·
When we first got her, the people we got her from told us she was a maltese. Recently, I started doing a bit more research on this breed and I read that they normally only exist in white or with patches of brown.

Lucky is black and white. She looks like a maltese. Could she possibly be a mix?
Here she is! Don't mind me, haha.
Hi question is do you love your dog and does she love you? If so then it doesn't matter but I can tell you straight up Maltese dogs come only in white. I hope you didn't pay alot for her because another thing Maltese are very expensive and come with a pedigree. Let me expalin the colur thing. This breed is very old. They made their way from the Far East and ended up in the Mediterranean hence Maltese dog or Terrier named after Malta my country.. At the height of the roman empire 2000 years ago they were already popular with Roman ladies who carried them around in their arms. The Romans considered the colour white as divine meaning it was the colour of the gods and they began to breed only white maltese. The brown version as far as I know is not recognised by any Kennel club neither in the States nor in Europe. You can find all this on Wikipaedia but I hope I gave you some insight into their fascinating history. Either way if your dog makes you happy who cares right? I would say there's a touch of Shitzu there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.