Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Puppy exercise

868 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Belle-K 
#1 ·
How much is too much? My little man is 4 months old and I started taking him out and about after his 2nd vacination. Now i'm not wanting to over exercise but i'm wanting to ensure he's getting enough - but I just don't know what's enough for him. It's taken a little while to get him to enjoy it as he was scared of everything but now he loves being out. I read somewhere that 5 minutes for every month of his life is what he should be having - is this correct?

Ta in advance :)

#2 ·
Many (most here) recommend you wait until they are done with all their puppy shots before taking them out.

This is because every puppy is different, and you don't know why the mother's antibodies will wear off. All the rounds of puppy shots are not because they necessarily need all those vaccines, but no one knows when the antibodies wear off - some puppies are "safe" at the 2nd vaccination, some are NOT... some won't be until the last set of puppy shots.

So it is important to not take him out until that set is done. Because like I said - you don't know if he is truly vaccinated yet. If he has antibodies left, the vaccine wont' take hold and then when the antibodies do leave in a week or two he will be vulnerable again.

So please wait on the walks.... just my opinion.

*I just reread and he is 4 months now so probably all puppy vaccines..... *

After he is fully vaccinated, listen to your pup. If he gets too tired, shorten the walk. As long as he is healthy, he will let you know :) Some do great with 30 minutes, some need 45 minutes! Some only need 15.... all depends :)

#3 ·
Yeah he has had his vaccines he wasn't out until it was okay.

Thanks for the advice, he loves getting out, I might actually increase his times as he doesn't seem tired at all, infact sometimes he zooms that much ahead of me I have to increase my pace a lot to keep up. Always on his lead if course.

#5 ·
Right now Sophie isn't fully vaccinated and I probably won't take her out for walks until a couple weeks after her rabies. It also doesn't help that she's so tiny, I can't find a harness that fits! She's gotten bigger since her last appointment, so I think I'm going to buy one for her to grow in to. For excercise we do a lot of play time, for a small puppy, my house is a fairly good size, so she runs and runs everywhere. Some days if she's extremely energetic we go over to my BF's dads house (right down the street) and she plays with his brother. She sleeps really well on those nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.