Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

worried abt hubby....

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  edelweiss 
#1 ·
Waaay back my hubby had high blood pressure (Maybe 3 years ago) and was on meds for it. Then for some unknown reason his BP kept dropping to the point where he was taken off meds and was maintaining low to normal pressure without the meds.
Recently it started elevating a bit...not bad just over "the norm". Dr. said he might well have to go back on Lisinipril but didn't give him a prescription. ( I think Maybe waiting to see stress test results/ and follow-up visit? )

Well since he had that stress test this past TUE... his BP is going higher and higher! Since I too a period of high BP but also went back down and no longer needed the meds, we had some on hand. Unbeknown to me the night before last his BP was 166/113 and he called the 24 hr AARP 'on-call' nurse. I had already fallen asleep. He explained everything and she told him that reading was in 'stroke-territory". He explained we had the Linisipril ( and DR. had said he'd likely go back on it but hadn't given prescription) and they were still within expire date. She suggested he take 20 mg and continue to monitor and to call the DR. Well it was late at night and he felt he'd just try the Lisinipril. It did bring the BP down ... the systolic is much better ( though not 'normal") but his diastolic is still pretty high.
I made him promise if it didn't get better today that he'd go to the Emergency-clinic today ( This is operated by the same 'group' that his Dr.s belong to. ) We have the follow-up heart Dr. appointment on Tue regarding the stress test results, but I don't think he should wait that long.
I told him he's been darned lucky to have 'dodged-the bullet' with the cancer-scare.... that he'd be foolish to risk a stroke now!!! However, he can be a bit stubborn at times!!! Grrrrrrrrr.
Thanks for letting me vent... it does help to relieve the stress!

See less See more
#2 ·
Praying they get his BP gets under control. They can never get my Mom's under control because she is a smoker. It has actually been as high as 209 one time when she was in the hospital and even on a good day it is usually around 170. I have no idea how she hasn't had a stroke.

#5 ·
I agree with Pam. Better to put in a call and be safe rather than sorry. Docs are used to getting calls and would probably be happiest if you DH checked with him rather than other docs. If he thinks he's in danger, he'll send your DH to the hospital and probably pave the way. Keep us posted. All our husband's pix should be in the dictionary under "stubborn." :angry:

#4 ·
Terry, sending up a prayer for wisdom for both of you! Hugs to you as you juggle so much w/DH.

#8 ·
Terry, if it were me, I would make the call for my husband ... just to be on the safe side. We as women really have to often go by our gut instincts.

Several months ago, Felix was being so darn stubborn and wouldn't make an appointment to see the doctor when he was hacking away and spitting up yellow sputum. It got to the point that I called the doctor and made the appoinment! Would you believe when Felix went into the office and the medical assistant asked Felix what he main reason was for the office visit ... Felix answered ..." Because my wife made the appointment". MEN!!! Anyway ... Felix had a bad case of bronchitis that could have turned into pneumonia (he's already had pneumonia) and was put on antibiotics. So, thus why, if it were me ... I would make the call for your hubby.

Please let us know how everything turns out, Terry. Sending you love and hugs.

#15 ·
My husband came into the room just as I was leaving a message to the DR. ( primary) He adamently said he was NOT going to go anywhere 'today'( Sunday) .... that regardless of ER or the ER clinic he'd be there 'all day' on a week-end. Grrrrr!
So when we got the call back I explained that. Told to take an additional 1/2 pill and IS going to see Dr. (primary) today! I haven't slept well for fear of something happening to him!! He sees the Heart Dr. tomorrow regarding the result of the nuclear stress test. The additional 1/2 dose has kept him between 90-92 on diastolic. He's stuill sleeping so don't know what it is this AM, but at least he'll be seeing the Dr today!

My body feels like it was run over by a Mack-truck and I know it's simply 'stress' triggering it! I know he is so sick of seeing Drs...BUT it's those Drs who have kept him 'going'!!!

I so appreciate everyone's 'input' and though it 'didn't get me anywhere' with him seeing a Dr yesterday.... it was good to see verification that I was not over-reacting.

#17 ·
Terry, thinking of you & your DH today! Wishing good news on the NST---let us know when you catch your breath, please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.