Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Kriket

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  sailsar 
#1 ·
Good afternoon I just joined this forum and really would like some feedback. My Maltese has MRSA. He has been on antibiotics for the last 3 weeks and we have another appt. with Vet today. Has anyone here ever had to deal with this.

#2 ·
Hi, I am so sorry that your fluff is going through this :( . I do not have experience with MRSA in animals, but my brother almost lost his life to it a few years ago. He was young, perfectly healthy and then it attacked. I don't mean to alarm you, but I do want you to understand the severity of it. It is highly contagious, so I hope that you and your family are using strong infection control procedures. We were VERY fortunate and my brother made a full recovery but did end up needing very intensive care. Please keep us posted on how things are going for you guys.

#3 ·
Thank you for responding. Yes I am aware of all of the implications that this may have. My husband (who passed 3 years ago) contacted it while going through chemo. I must say I have not take as much precaution as I should because Kriket sleeps with me. The vet says she thinks it is confined to his system but she cannot guarantee that I won't get it. So sorry about your brother.
Out of 17 antibiotics they tested he was resistant to 9 of them.

#11 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. Kriket saw the vet again last Monday and she put him on another type of antibiotics because he was not getting better with the last one. Also, gave him steriods for the next 10 days. We go back to see her tomorrow and I think he is getting somewhat better. I hate to see him not feeling good. I guess it is going to take a while to knock this staph infection out of his system.

#14 ·
I think Kriket may be getting better - this last antibiotic seems to be working on this staph infection. Although he has lost a lot of his hair - his skin looks better. Going to vet tomorrow. Thanks for all your concerns. I love seeing all of the posts here and hope to learn more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.