Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Alternatives to greenies?

13K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  kaeco510 
#1 ·
So greenies are bad, got that from reading this forum. Are there any other alternatives for dental chews? I give Gustave bully sticks and antlers already but I was wondering if the other brands out there are any better than greenies. Like Z-bones? Anyone tried those?

#4 ·
I use CET dental chews and CET Hextra dental chews. They don't last very long but help clean the teeth ;) It's much cheaper on amazon.com than any store I've seen. I'd be careful with Antlers-- they are VERY hard and can cause dental fractures on small teeth of toy breed dogs. I've also used bright bites (?) which is shaped like a star but found that Obi sometimes will swallow big pieces instead of chewing- I will give them to him now only by holding it in my hand and letting him gnaw on it instead.

#8 ·
Oh..Ok.. They have not had any problems but then again, I think Daisy has a cast iron stomach. I haven't found anything she would not eat and she has found some things that she shouldn't eat. The latest being her toothbrush. It was laying on the bathroom sink and I guess one of the cats knocked it off. She came through the hall with her little tail flying and her toothbrush stuck in her mouth like she had just brushed!!! Too cute but that is her last one. She has chewed the others!!!

#9 ·
I have a question---- Do you really give your furbabies dried bull penises? I just can't get past what it is!!!!!!!!!!! I am so careful about what I give my fur children--no chicken fillers-being ground up feathers, feet, beaks, etc--no raw meat,---nothing I would not eat. I won't even let them have pigs ears, hoofs or rawhide. Help me understand why they even make these things. Talk about not wasting anything.....

#14 ·
Yeah...but

The part that bothers me is I can see the picture...She is laying in the floor chewing on one of these things and then she gets up on my lap for my nightly face washing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my face washings but after right after she has been chewing on a bull penis!! EUWEE... I don't even give her rawhide because I think it is gross!! My poor baby fluff...She doesn't get any of the good stuff!!

#15 ·
The part that bothers me is I can see the picture...She is laying in the floor chewing on one of these things and then she gets up on my lap for my nightly face washing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my face washings but after right after she has been chewing on a bull penis!! EUWEE... I don't even give her rawhide because I think it is gross!! My poor baby fluff...She doesn't get any of the good stuff!!
I let Obi go to town on the bullies or Flossies on BATH day! LOL! it's really good for maltese to chew and chew- good for the teeth and gums :) But, you should try the odorless ones for sure. The regular ones SMELL horrid.

#21 ·
Both Heidi and Bella have gotten sick on Greenies. Bella loves her Nylabones. They keep her occupied for some time. However, she is a lazy bone chewer. Her latest "trick" is to drop her bone in my hand so I can hold it while she chews. She has me trained well.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.