Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Meet Zoe <3

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  kaeco510 
#1 ·
Hi all. My name is Marly. I am a new Maltese owner. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, and a little bit lost as to what to do, but I just couldn't turn her away. But first, Zoe's story:

Zoe was born October 22nd 2012. That makes her 5 weeks old and a day old. She was sold to the neighbor of my classmate at 4 weeks. Yes, FOUR weeks. I could barely contain my fury when I found that out. But nonetheless, I just had to meet her, especially since the original seller would not take her back. And even if he did, he'd probably just sell her to another unsuspecting person. I didn't want to lecture the lady about how HORRIBLE it is that Zoe was taken so early from her mom because I didn't know her well, but man. Some people, geez!

This lady already had 3 dogs in her house, a chihuahua, a poodle, and a husky. She also worked long hours, and told me she felt bad leaving Zoe locked up in a room by herself. But even when she was home, she had to keep Zoe locked up because of the husky.

So even though I did initially feel apprehensive about taking her in, once I held her and she dove straight into my chest and nestled there, I was smitten :wub:

Now I am the proud momma of Zoe. She's extremely friendly and curious. Once she got into my room today, she couldn't help but move around and try to figure out what this new place is. I live with two other girls (we're all grad students), and she was friendly with them also. She's also quite vocal (barking) and likes to nibble at people. She ate heartily and drank water, and has taken several naps since coming home (she's sleeping right now). She hasn't pooped yet, but has peed once.

I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I just couldn't leave her there. If anyone has any tips, guidelines, etc on how to take care of a pup taken from her mother and siblings so young, please, all help will be greatly appreciated!! I've done some internet searching, but so far all I can find is how horrible it is to take puppies away from their mother too young and not too much advice.

Once I figure out how to upload pictures, I'll post some up.

Thanks in advance,

Marly & Zoe

See less See more
#2 ·
Has she been to the vet yet?? Would be my first thing to do. He would tell you what and how much to eat. At that age there is the concern for hypoglycemia, if not fed often enough. The puppy should not get chilled(like a bath and letting her out) she'll need her vaccinations and probably de worming. Since she's not with mom or litter mates, she'll want to be with you. A member here just rescued a 5 week old Maltese from a dumpster, and she's going through the same thing. She will probably cry at night and maybe soil in her crate . Welcome to SM , and good luck with your little one. There are several breeders here that can help you out.

#3 ·
Welcome to SM! I am in the same situation as u! I rescued my Molly from a dumpster! She cries a lot and I'm teaching her how to keep her area and self clean. She potties on a pee pad. I have another Malt so he does help but she is in a play pen and they can only see each other. They do have brief play time but it is Supervised and no longer than 10 minutes at a time. She is eating wet Blue Buffalo Puppy. They crying was horrid at first! It's like having a new born baby again! You can look @ my threads and other members made awesome suggestions and that's what has gotten me thru so far. Good luck and keep in touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Thank you so much! I'm bringing her to a vet on Friday. So far she has been eating well (blue buffalo), and is very playful. She woke up only 3 times last night.

I will definitely be checking the other threads out!

Here she is! I always wondered why parents take so many pictures of their kids, now I know why! I may have taken close to 50 already, along with 4 videos.

#15 ·
She loves playing with that Hello Kitty toy. I'm sure if she had sharper teeth, it would be torn to pieces by now lol.

I'm a med student, so I don't work, but I do go to lectures in the morning. I bring her with me and sit in the back, so far she has slept through most of the lectures, and on days I have lab or clinic in the afternoon, my roommates are usually home. But 80% of the time I'm home all afternoon studying.

As far as I can tell, she's adjusting well. Her schedule is sleep, bathroom, play/eat then sleep again. She likes to fall asleep on my chest. I'd love to sleep with her but I'm terrified of having her in my bed, I'd hate for anything to happen. So I just let her fall asleep then transfer her to her crate.

I have been reading the threads in the forum, so much info, I would be completely lost without it.

I'm bringing her to the vet today, I'll update later.

Thank you so much again!

#14 ·
Do read Lisa Marie's threads as we did post a lot of helpful advice for her and her Molly :)

Basically YOU will be Zoe's surrogate "dog momma" for the next 7 weeks. A Maltese puppy is supposed to be with it's mother for 12 weeks. So right now you will be doing things that her mother dog would be doing.

Like Lisa Marie said -- It will be your job to help Zoe learn to keep her bed and food area clean - separate bed and potty space. An xpen would help this. You can lay a potty pad on one side, her bed on the other - then be super vigilant about cleaning up. If she has an accident (as she will) just clean it up. No gentle scolding or correction at this age. Just clean it up and try again next time :)

Use a warm wash cloth to "wash" her a few times a day just like her mother dog would. A full bath isn't necessary right now. Just use a wash cloth and "lick" her ;)

Get a sling. She needs a TON of physical contact. I feel so sad that she was locked in the room alone :( I'm glad you took her. I hope you are home a lot - or hope that one of your roommates is home and could help hold her?

Right now she would be with her mother and siblings 24/7 - constant contact. So if you work and she has to be alone - that will be very hard.

Also -- you may want to make her a little shirt - winter -- Maltese puppies don't regulate their body temp until around 12 weeks. You could make one out of a child's shirt sleeve if necessary.

Can't wait to see more photos of Zoe!

#19 ·
Oh my word Zoe is just adorable cannot believe someone let her to so early. She is so lucky to have a new mum like you. This little ones have a way of worming their way Into your heart. Hope she is doing better and growing confident etc just wanted to say welcomexx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.