Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

What do you sew?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  StevieB 
#1 ·
So I purchased a regular sewing machine (I've put the embroidery machine on hold for now), and I'm trying to decide what things might be fun to sew. I am frugal by nature and necessity and I LOVE to organize :) . I'm thinking I'll sew some clothes for Bella, do some repairs to some towels/linens/clothes we have. After that I'm not sure what lol! What types of things do you like to sew?

#2 ·
Bridget, I have wanted to get a sewing machine for a while now. I don't know how to sew but thought about making clothes for Zoe. I just wouldn't know where to begin once I got the machine. :unsure: Guess I would have to go to a sewing class or something but I really would love to sew stuff. You must be so excited you have one. :)

#6 ·
Bridget, I have wanted to get a sewing machine for a while now. I don't know how to sew but thought about making clothes for Zoe. I just wouldn't know where to begin once I got the machine. :unsure: Guess I would have to go to a sewing class or something but I really would love to sew stuff. You must be so excited you have one. :)
I am very excited :aktion033:. I bought the Brother Project Runway machine at Walmart for under $140 and it is rated really well. You might want to look online at that one....it's very user friendly :thumbsup:.

#3 · (Edited)
Bridget -- here are some of the things I've make:

1. Dog dresses, dog dresses and more dog dresses :)
2. Home Decor:
a. Drapes.Curtains, Valances, Drapery Tiebacks
b. Pillows
c. Slipcovers for chairs, benches, ottomans, cushions
d. Placemats and napkins
e. Throws and blankets
f. Basket Liners
3. Toddlers and Baby Clothes for friends
4. Dog Beds
5. Cuddle Cups for the fluffs.

Oh yeah -- and did I mentioin dog dresses/clothes????? Lots and lots and lots of dog dresses!!!!!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

#7 ·
c. Slipcovers for chairs, benches, ottomans, cushions
d. Placemats and napkins
f. Basket Liners
3. Toddlers and Baby Clothes for friends
4. Dog Beds
5. Cuddle Cups for the fluffs.
Definetly adding these to my list of things to try! Oh and dresses...many, many, dresses :HistericalSmiley:. BTW, Thank you so much for Bella's Christmas present. She LOVES everything! Big hugs :wub:.

#4 ·
I just got a sewing machine mid October, and I've been having a blast. I have sewn PJs for Cozette because she gets cold at night (Pippa has her own internal furnace, LOL), and I sewed for our Secret Santa buddies. I've also been sewing Christmas scrub tops for my daughter who is a radiological technician. They have turned out adorable and she loves having something to wear in the hospital that goes with the season!

My next plans are for a shopping cart seat cover and some treat bags for travel.

#8 ·
I have a soft furnishings fabrication business so I sew all the time! My most fun recent creation was a new tree skirt for MY house (for once I made something for myself!).

Christmas tree Christmas Christmas decoration Tree Christmas ornament

I love it and it really was not hard at all. I used a gathering foot to make the ruffles, you should see if one is available for your machine (I imagine there is one). There are so many great accessory feet available that you can do some really fun stuff with! I rarely do clothes, just because I never have the time. I used to make a lot of tote bags though, those are really fun! And of course dog beds! Congratulations!

#9 ·
I have the Brother computerized sewing and embroidery machine, and I absolutely love it! It is very user friendly and works like a charm!

I bought a book about sewing accessories called Sewing Machine Accessory Bible, which gave me wonderful hints and tips about what I'd need and what things I could do with different accessories-- I highly recommend it. There are also some wonderful sewing forums online as well.

I hadn't really done sewing since I was a young teen, so I was amazed at how easily it all came back. Of course, I haven't done anything really too terribly challenging, but I've loved the results of my efforts so far.

#10 ·
I'm not as handy as I'd like to be with with a sewing machine (I'm such a perfectionist that I usually have to remind myself to not be so hard on myself) but, I also don't have one, so I'm sure with practice I'd at least be okay. However, I am quite handy with a needle and some thread.. Well handy at repairing tears. BF is so hard on all his sweatpants I usually have to sew the pockets because he puts his heavy wallet and phone in there. But at least there's a little skill there!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
Celeta that tree skirt is beautiful! I have the shower curtain that looks like this (multi-colored though) and I love it. Yep, the ruffler foot is definetly on my short list :) .

Hi Jackie, I'd originally purchased the embroidery/sewing machine by Brother and took it back. I decided to opt for the cheaper one until I can prove to myself that I'll stick with it for a few months. My 40th Birthday is in June, so I may be begging for an embroidery machine then :) .

Ashley, I am a perfectionist too, so I totally get it. Actually I'm a perfectionist with OCD....how's that for mental overload lol! I constantly find fault with my own work, but seem to love everyone elses. I redo furniture and the folks who buy it love it. I get calls from clients all the time who are really happy about their items. I can't ever seem to keep one of my pieces for myself though, because I notice every little thing about it. This is something I have really been working on and one of the main reasons I decided to sew. I need to lighten up on myself :) .

#12 ·
When you're starting out, remember that practice makes you better.

I hadn't really sewn in like forever (learned in jr. hs) but I did want to make some pillows and things for my house when I moved to New Mexico so I got out the sewing machine and went to town.

Then, once I started ordering clothes for Lacie (Tilly and Secret weren't here yet) and saw the prices, I knew that I needed to learn to make clothes for her myself. I used one of her dresses that I had purchased as the pattern and copied it onto newspaper. I will admit that the first dress I made for her was very cute -- BUT -- I put the velcor on wrong so that both pieces were on the outside.:smpullhair::smpullhair: That mis-adventure made me remember to slow down and look at what I was doing. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

There are things I've made that I love and things I've thrown out -- but if I'm using EXPENSIVE fabric I really take my time to get everything PERFECT.:thumbsup:

I loved to sew when I was in HS and made a lot of dresses for myself - and now I'm once again enjoying this hobby. I had forgotten how much fun it was to be so CREATIVE.

#15 ·
Lynn is absolutely right, you learn with practice, and you learn even more when you screw up!

Oh my gosh, I am feeling inferior. I don't even sew buttons back on. I let the cleaners do that!
Oh, Pam if you only knew. I have a drapery workroom in my house, and my husband has to take his pants to the cleaners if he wants them hemmed or a button sewn on. He had three pairs of pants hanging in my workroom for over a year before he got fed up and took them to the cleaners. :blink:

#13 ·
I make almost all of Gus and Grace's clothes.... One bonus of a girl is you get to make DRESSSES!!! LOL... I was so thrilled ;)

Right now I'm working on finished my nephew's "big boy" quilt... Monkeys and Elephants... It's crunch time! Christmas is next week!

I do mainly dog clothes and quilts. I have to start my youngest nephew's quilt, and also finish the two family quilts I have for them (wall - decorative).... The problem is my sister keeps having baby after baby LOL So I never catch up :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.