Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Grateful!

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  maltese manica 
#1 ·
We had 3 blood tests done for Lisi & Kitzi this week---all of which are VIP tests---heartworm, Eherlichia, & Kalazar (deadly here & no treatment & I don't use the injection or the collar to prevent this). All 3 came back negative. Yippee.:chili::chili:
I don't normally do the heartworm test as we don't have it here in Athens, but because we spent 2 months in the US I thought it would be good to be sure! Both dogs had Eherlichia in Sept. and had a month treatment (Kitzel's second time w/it) so that was also crucial.
The one I fear the most is the last one Kalazar---it is rampant here & my vets are all over me for not doing a preventative---but the shot is new here & I think it needs to be proven---even saying that I would not give it to Lisi because of her history of allergic reactions to other shots. So, really it is a crap shoot for me. It is required by law that dogs be tested once a year here & are usually put down if found positive. My vet told me she knows a baby (human) who was just diagnosed w/it & I heard of 3 children last year---I think it is the tip of the iceberg since Athens is always afraid people will panic if they have too much information.
So, I am grateful---and so thankful for these mercies!:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Thanks all!
I did not do a complete blood work-up--just the 3 major areas of concern. For those who have asked about Lisi---she is doing ok but still not her old, lively self yet. She has started to play a little again. I have found a solution for her to NOT have the rabies shot and still be able to travel. I am going by a "don't ask, don't tell" policy here.
My real concern is for the Lepto for her---she WON'T get any more shots, but I don't know how to protect her for this one which is rampant here. It isn't required for travel, but I just don't know if I should try the other one they give in the US w/out the adjuvant for Lepto? The vet told me that if they give her another shot they may not be able to save her next time. Ugh. Decisions. I would not do it here. It is due in Feb. I know the one she gets now only protects against 2 of the possible 4 Lepto strains.

#10 ·
Sandi, you are one amazing woman! You are a jet setter, the worlds newest fabulous Grandma, a person of strong faith and wonderful Momma - to fluffs and her babies. Seriously, hats off to you.

I have no doubt that if there are better options for vaccinations, you will find them. Poor little Lisi is like my mini-me. I can't take anything without it creating a life threatening reaction, so I can really relate to that little sweetie. It's no fun. It's time for DH and I to update Lady Belles vaccinations and I am totally procrastinating about it. I need to call the Vet today and see what she's due for. Then I'll be back to SS to see the best way to go about it. I want to let her start going in to nursing homes, so I know full vaccinations are a must :( ....sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.