Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Vacation away from home.

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  shellbeme 
#1 ·
Hi There,

If you are on vacation and can not take your pet with you for 10 days,

What are the options for your pet boarding or have someone come to your house to check on your pet? Any reasonable options?

Please share as this is my first time owning a pet.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't be going either :( . I've had to start adjusting our vacations to only pet friendly options. If you decide to go, there are lots of options to consider. Boarding, in-home pet sitter are the most common. Is it possible to bring her with you and use a daycare of boarding community nearby? What area are you located in? Maybe we can give you some feedback on locational options.

#4 ·
You can try dogvacay.com if it's available in your area. I try to avoid going away without Gustave as much as possible but I also know sometimes you just need to.

Both me and the husband will need to be away for 2weeks this year, out of the country and it's better for Gustave to leave him here than put him on a plane for 24+ hrs, if that's even possible. We are going to work out something with his breeder. Is that a possibility for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
I have actually never left my dogs for that lengeth of time. I take them with me everywhere that I can. When I can't I usually try for a family member to pet sit. I haven't tried kenneling. But I have a few friends here at work that have used this facility and loved it. It's in Westlake Village:

http://westlakepet.com/

Merely having someone come in and check on him periodically wouldn't be sufficient in my book. I have had my daughter stay at my house for a few days. But mostly I book pet friendly hotels (most Marriotts are) and take them on the plane with me. We were just visition our other daughter in Minnesota for two weeks and both dogs came along and it was great!

**edited to add link for Barkley in WLV. Not Ohio!! LOL!**

#8 ·
We've gone away a couple of times on one-week vacation. One time Tyler stayed with a friend who had a Maltese, another he stayed with a cousin of mine and last time I had a friend stay at our apartment. Everything worked out well each time - tyler was sufficiently happy and spoiled and barely missed us though we got a big greeting.

#11 ·
ACK! :( It's too long *sobs* No, really, sometimes life does do things to take us away from them.

1. Try to find a hotel that accepts pets and bring them with
2. Board with family (or friends) who they know and love
3. Don't go :D
4. Search out a reputable doggie day care or vet that I trust to board them at

Personally, I do NOT like the option of leaving them at home, even if someone is coming to check in. Sometimes my parents will have people stay over at their house if they have to leave for a couple days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.