Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Please pray for Angel

2K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  maltese manica 
#1 ·
Angel Baby is my mother-in-law's maltese. I think that she is about 6. Hubby and I got Angel for her from our local shelter and she has been a very spoiled and happy little girl until about 5 months ago. Angel started itching and scratching so MIL took her to the vet. He prescribed some allergy meds but MIL did not get them because she said that they were too expensive. Itching got worse and she took her back to the vet-another prescription--did not get it filled-too expensive she said. So now here we are. Angel doesn' have any hair on her back, none on her feet, her feet are bloody from chewing and MIL puts socks on her so she won't biteand her little belly is a solid mass of bumps. She looks so pitiful. When I saw her at Christmas, I went ballistic. I told them that I would mortgage my home for my dogs. Her husband (my Hubby's step-dad) is a MILLIONAIRE! yet he will not give her the money to get medicine for poor Angel. (He gives MIL $50.00 a week to buy groceries for 4 people) Hubby went yesterday to pick Angel up and take her to our vet. I called the vet and told im the situation and he is going to keep her for a few days to see what he can do for her. So here we sit, going to pay for Angel getting better and will have to take her back to the people who let her get like this in the 1st place. It makes me so MAD that they will not fork out the money to pay for getting her well. He has 50 times more money than we do but we are the only ones who care about Angel. I may not take her back to them. It will cause world war 3, but what good is it to get her well and take her back and set her down in it again? I don't know what to do. Any advice?

See less See more
#32 ·
Itchy and no hair? Sounds like some kind of mite - not allergies.

If it is allergies and is that serious (I do understand it has been elft untreated for a long time) - it's probably going to require things like frequent baths (Gus gets bathed every other day during non allergy season and daily when allergies are high).... or a drastic diet change.

But my sister's dog was like that - itchy, no hair.

I bathed her in a herbal mite shampoo for 2 weeks and applied a daily mixture of Emu Oil with aloe and some essential oils (lavender, garlic, neem....something else I forget).... Her skin and coat are much much better now.

I hope you can figure out what's up with Angel.

And I don't think I'd give her back.

#33 ·
Today is Thursday 10 Jan 3:30 pm. My hubby just picked Angel up from the vet. I stalled for 2 days telling MIL that the vet wanted to keep her to observe how she acted. Vet said that she is allergic to grass and corn. They gave her a gift certificate to go to PetsMart to get a good food. They gave her a list of ones that she could get. I have the best vet in the world. I talked to my MIL this afternoon and I told her that we took Angel to the vet for her and for Angel. I told her that we did not it for her husband. I told her that I don't have anything for him at all and if I did see him, I would probably spit in his face. I told her that we set it up at the vet office for her to take Angel back in 2 months or sooner if she needs it and put it on our bill. I told her that there was no reason that she couldn' take care of Angel and if she got the slightest bit broken out and she didn't take her back to see the Dr., she is mine. I also told her that I hope that one day her husband gets all broken out and everyone just sits around and looks at him so he will know how Angel felt. She's not happy with me right now, BUT, I don't really care. I am going to keep my eyes on Angel from now on.

#34 ·
Today is Thursday 10 Jan 3:30 pm. My hubby just picked Angel up from the vet. I stalled for 2 days telling MIL that the vet wanted to keep her to observe how she acted. Vet said that she is allergic to grass and corn. They gave her a gift certificate to go to PetsMart to get a good food. They gave her a list of ones that she could get. I have the best vet in the world. I talked to my MIL this afternoon and I told her that we took Angel to the vet for her and for Angel. I told her that we did not it for her husband. I told her that I don't have anything for him at all and if I did see him, I would probably spit in his face. I told her that we set it up at the vet office for her to take Angel back in 2 months or sooner if she needs it and put it on our bill. I told her that there was no reason that she couldn' take care of Angel and if she got the slightest bit broken out and she didn't take her back to see the Dr., she is mine. I also told her that I hope that one day her husband gets all broken out and everyone just sits around and looks at him so he will know how Angel felt. She's not happy with me right now, BUT, I don't really care. I am going to keep my eyes on Angel from now on.
Good for you. Your 100% right and she doesn't deserve Angel if she isn't taken care of. Please keep us posted and stick around this is a great place.

#35 ·
I love this place and am so thankful to have found all of you furbaby lovers. It still breaks my heart to send her back to my MIL. Hubby said that when he took Angel in at his Mom's, step daddy tiried to shake his hand and thank you, thank you for all you have done. Hubby just handed Angel to his Mom and walked out. I am going to call MIL everyday (Ugg) and make sure Angel is ok. PLease keep her in your prayers and pray that I can guard my tongue next time I see him...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.