Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Perfect, like a skin baby!

820 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  TLR 
#1 ·
That's what Leila's current size is like. When I first decided to get her, I thought I wanted another tiny dog like my yorkie was (he was 3.2lbs) and the breeder had said Leila would be 3.5 - 4lbs. Well, she has kept on growing past that weight. For awhile, it was about a half a lb a week and I was starting to get worried she was going to wind up being 20 lbs before she stopped growing. When she was spayed 2 weeks ago,
she was 7 1/2 lbs. She's now 6 months old. I'm wondering if she's going to get much bigger???

Right now, I'm finding I much prefer her current size over the smaller one because she "fits" more like a human newborn. When I pick her up and hold her against me, she flattens out her back legs, making herself flat against me and puts her front legs on each side of my neck. It feels like holding a human baby and I can kiss all over her little head and neck and she gives me the sweetest kisses back. I couldn't hold her or my yorkie in this position at a smaller size. Although I will love her no matter what size she becomes, do you think she will get much bigger than she is at 6 months? I know some have said theirs stopped growing at different ages, but what's the norm? Both of her parents are 4 lbs. I don't know about the grandparents.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
All of my fluffs (I don't know about Dewey yet) usually grew until a year old. Maybe a few more ounces after that. Laurel weighs a little over 6 pounds and she has been that way since 1 year. She was about 41/2 pounds at her spay, at 6 months. Dewy was exactly the same weight as Laurel at the time as his neuter. He's 8 months now. We go to the vet on Monday. Cant't wait to see how much he weighs. I love the 6 plus weight also. Perfect size!!

#3 ·
My guess is that Leila isn't done growing. Usually girls put on at least a little weight after a spay.
Lisi is almost 1 1/2 yrs. old & she has recently gained weight! She is a little piggy & I should watch her diet more carefully (esp. when she is making her scrunchies disappear--:smrofl::smpullhair::smpullhair:)
Kitzi will be 3 next month & he pretty much hovers around 6 lbs. His bone structure is larger than Lisi's so he looks quite a bit bigger---and his legs are much longer.
It really depends on so much as to how they carry their weight.:thumbsup:

#4 ·
Maizy will be 2 in May and she has also recently put on weight i thought she had stopped about 7lbs but have just had her weighed and she is 8lbs!! Although it is winter and we have not been walking as much....ok not at all :HistericalSmiley:i used to worry that maizy was bigger than standard but you know what i love her so much it doesnt matter :wub:

#6 ·
Well, we are back from the vet from Leila's two week follow-up for her spay. She weighed 8.8lbs!! So, she's still gaining 1/2 lb a week. If she keeps growing, she's going to be the size of a real skin kid, LOL! A couple of months ago, the vet said she wouldn't weigh more than 10 lbs when she's full grown. Today, they said she won't weigh more than 12 lbs when full grown. I wonder what they'll say in a couple more months.

#7 ·
Our first Maltese, Holly, was 8-1/2 lbs. as an adult and that always felt like the perfect size. We rather liked that she wasn't quite so fragile and tiny and she could enjoy playing with our big dogs without us having heart failure fearing she'd get injured. Of course, she was the Queen of the pack and Alpha dog anyway and the big kids were very gentle with her. Ivy was 4 lbs. 15 oz. at her spay one week ago today and just turned 6 months old, so I figure she'll end up at least between 6 and 7 lbs, if not a bit over 7.

#9 ·
It's always hard to tell what their weight will be full grown...Zoe is 2 1/2 years old and weighs 5 lbs. They usually can grow up to 18 months. Its true when they are a little bigger they are not as delicate. I always have to pick Zoe up and down even off of low things....she won't jump on or off anything. So you do have to be more careful when they are on the smaller side.

#14 ·
Oh yes, I would love her to pieces at any size. It is easier to carry her at this size...not too tiny and not too heavy. It's funny that she's easier to carry now than she was when she was smaller when I have something else in my hands at the same time. I don't know how to explain it. But when she was smaller, it was harder to hold her right, plus other things. Also, I don't have to worry (as much) when she's chasing the cats or aggravating the Lab (which is a smaller female Lab).

#16 ·
Ben has been right at 5 lbs since he turned one (he's 17 months old now). He gains a couple oz and loses a couple but stays right around the 5 lb mark. He is a little longer and with the full coat looks much bigger to me (until bath day). I think he is a little under weight and have been trying to get him up the 5.5 lbs. he has always been a poor eater until I switched him to Stella and Cheweys a few weeks ago. I haven't check his weight in a couple weeks but I think he may be up a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.