Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Frugal Tips & Tricks

2K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  gopotsgo 
#1 ·
Ok so all of this playing "housewife" is driving me a bit bonkers. I am bored out of my mind. It doesn't help that my thyroid is way off again (hyperthyroid) and my brain is racing a million miles a minute lol :w00t:! Anyway, I've always been a penny pincher and started wondering which of my SM family consider themselves Frugal? I watch pennies so that we can splurge when we want to on vacations etc. So.....are you frugal at heart or by necessity? If so, what do you do to save pennies or even $$$?

#2 ·
Bridget, I have no tips or tricks... I should be frugal, but I am not !!! My parents were raised during the depression and they are very frugal!! I don't intentionally waste, but don't go out of my way to reuse, or "not buy" something that I want. I should try harder !!

#4 ·
Unfortunately, I am kind of like, Deb also. While I don't waste money, I am not very good about walking away from things I want. My parents indulged me as a child and unfortunately for me, I am weak when I want something...but I do love a good deal! :)

#5 ·
I am frugal, but I think it came from a childhood experience. When I was in high school, my dad lost his job of 25 years. The company went bellyup. I went to a private high school (I lived in NYC at that time and you don't want to go to a public school). Anyway, I remember my parents talking and saying they may have to pull me out of school and send me to a public school. (It didn't happen -- my grandmother stepped in to help) To this day I remember that feeling.

I can't say I have any tips or tricks, but I try to distinguish between "wants" and "needs". I may want something, but if I don't need it I try to resist buying it. However, where Bella is concerned all bets are off. She is a spoiled little bugger.

#6 ·
I think it is so interesting to see this "other side" of folks and to learn of peoples upbringing. I was raised by my Dad (a single parent of 2 kids). He was a machine shop teacher at a local Tech High School. $ was very tight and so we never just went shopping unless there was a need. I don't think we ever did without, or at least we didn't know about it ;) . I learned frugal lessons right from the start. My Grandmother also taught me A LOT about stretching a dollar. I am a master couponer (though I haven't done it in a while). I frequently hang my clothes up to dry inside rather than using the dryer. I keep the lights off till its dark. I drop the heat at night. I have a goal of learning to completely cook from scratch ~ like homemade pizza's etc - but I'm not there yet. I don't get fancy haircuts often and I just bought a new pair of scissors today so I can cut my own hair again...mostly. The list goes on lol! Oh but I do splurge on some things like vacations :) !

#8 ·
I fit into frugal too, Bridget. And sometimes it's really fun getting a GREAT deal. :chili::chili: I think part of it came from my mom living through the depression in '29 and telling me that someone jumped off a building in front of her and she could never erase it, or the struggles people went through then, out of her mind. Also my dad died when I was 6, and he was quite young, so our income was tight. My mom always pushed us to make sure we put money away in savings and we've been good about that. And now my DH and I are both freelance so we never know when there will be work AND we have to pay for our own health insurance. So we try to be careful. But of course the one place where we used to splurge more was for our son when we could. He's now grown, so not so much at this point. I spoil Tyler but not that much. He sleeps on a $5 cat bed, I make his treats, buy occasional clothes and a toy here or there but he's been more spoiled by his fabulous Aunties than by us. :blush::thumbsup:

Let's see...I never really splurge on clothes, shoes, bags, etc. They just aren't that important to me as far as dressing to impress. I'd rather give that money to charity than use it for that. JMO. I think of clothes more as utility...have to wear something. I have a lot of shoes but not outrageously expensive ones. I try to buy good things at a good price, so hit outlets (my town in VT is full of them), Loehmanns, Century 21, sample sales, etc.

Since I also love great vacations, I did a home exchange where we stayed in a great 2BR apartment in Paris in exchange for our apt. We aways get e-mails about traveling to locations all over the world. I love it. I found another great vacation and some good deals on things at Bidding for Good, a website where non-profits all over the country have their auctions. I got the great vacay house in Virgin Gorda there for a fraction of the normal cost.

I cook much of the time which saves a lot of money so we can go out for nice meals. I shop at Costco and BJ's, I do look at grocery circular specials. For drugstores I love CVS - as a frequent shopper I get frequent e-mails for a 25% off whole purchase. that can go to my card. My husband was shocked how much he saved the other day with my card.

We don't make many spur of the moment big purchases. Think long and hard about them and whether we really need them. Did that with my Canon DSLR - waited until it was a really good deal.

I guess where I think it's most important to spend money: we bought our co-op years ago in a good neighborhood and it's a great apt. The best investment we ever made back then since it's value has quintupled, though I never want to leave here. And we built our ski home in the 80's for a song. I think most important is to feel like we have a real, loving home and that you and your family don't really feel like you're needing for anything. I never really buy anything to impress others. Not that important to me.

#9 ·
Sue, from one bargain hunter to another ~ we should definetly shop together lol! I have had a lot of weight loss and so I'm in a situation where I have no clothes to wear to church settings or the like. So I've actually had to shop a bit this week. Not loving it. Thankfully some of the stores are clearing out this seasons clothes and I am getting a few very good deals. Thanks for the tip on Bidding for Good...what a wonderful site. Oh and we also shop at CVS. DH just spent a free $5 in Extra Care Bucks there :) .

#10 ·
I grew up with my parents on a tight budget, so while we learned that we could create more family memories cheaply, we didnt go without, at least, as someone else said, if we did we didn't know it. While we shopped at goodwill and secondhand stores my mom felt it important that we fit in with everyone else. Now that I'm out on my own, my boyfriend grew up on the opposite end. So he spoils me, no more coupons, though I still shop and second hand places for myself, I shop at one that sells brand names. We have milk delivered to our house, we have Schwans that comes, and we shop at one of the more expensive grocery stores to shop at (Fred Meyer, Kroger for those down south) I'm sure one day my frugal side will come back out, but for now, Sophie and I are enjoying being spoiled rotten :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#11 ·
LOL I'm like Shelly, I've always been frugal, and still am when it comes to myself...but Khloee, well lets just say my credit card bill has a lot more Khloee charges than Kaylla charges :p

#12 ·
I have always had taste above my means. Even as a teenager. How I cope is to have a lot less...but have high quality stuff. My car is a 1985 Mercedes 380 SL. It costs less to maintain in perfect running condition than payments on a moderately priced new car. I can't tell you how many times the power and handling have saved me from an accident with some idiot. I love my car.
I have a Miele vacuum, yes it was expensive, but not as expensive as the three miserable, heavy monsters that died. This one does everything it is supposed to do, quietly. I expect that I will never have to buy another vacuum cleaner.
My sheets are made in Italy. I only have one set, well now I have two. They are expensive, but they are glorious and last for five year with continuous use.
I am really a big proponent of buying the best. Doing with out. Having less, but having good stuff.
I recently bought a new coffee maker. The average life span of my coffee makers was four years...but they were flawed. This time I layed out the big bucks and got a Technivore. It makes the best coffee ever.
But I shopped for the best deal. That's what I do, I shop and shop and shop for the best deal on the best stuff. I prefer quality to quantity any day. From clothes to furniture. The addage "you get what you pay for" isn't always true. You can buy something that costs a lot...something made by Cuisinart or Kitchenaid and get a piece of junk, but for sure if you buy something cheap, that was made in China, you bought something that will only contribute to the land fill and the pollution of our precious earth. My take on being frugal is: buy the best the first time. Buy less. Do without.

I never buy anything at full retail. I search and find great deals on e=bay, Amazon and Neiman Marcus on line. It is amazing what good prices for first quality merchandise you can get from Neiman Marcus.

#13 ·
I definately am frugal by nature! Being the youngest of 8 children and basically only my Mom supporting us.... it's just seems 'normal' to be penny-wise! ( She had no choice but to do so... yet we were always well provided for) .
Over our early married years we worked hard and saved ...yet did indulge in some lovely vacations.... bought and paid off our home... etc.
Also we took a BIG loss several years ago with the stock market..... thankfully we didn't have all our eggs in one basket, but still..... we learned how it can be 'here today/gone tomorrow'. Now with being 'seniors' and hubby retired and me only working a couple days a week.... and cost of EVERYTHING! going up up up.... well I now feel we are frugal by necessity as well.

One way we have saved a lot is hubby always buys his cars 'used'... usually only 1 year old so the depreciation has already kicked in.... he sells his existing car on his own... ( get better return than turning it in).
For me I have a real OLD car... I love it...it 'fits' me! LOL Hubby is always trying to get me to 'move-up' but I'm keeping it till it no longer runs! LOL

I've made my own pee pads for Quincy... so easy and they've held up beautifully! Better for environment and certainly for our 'pocketbook'.
I buy 99% of my books from local thrift shop... often buy my clothes there as well...especially for work. Even bought a few odds and end furniture which I refinished for a song.
When I do in fact go clothes shopping I first head for the clearance racks LOL

I shop weekly grocery sales and as others said CVS has some great 'rewards' as well as good weekly sales which we take advantage of.

Years ago we bought 3 fuel tanks... we fill up once a year..usually in summer when prices are lowest... plus we get a 'bulk' discount. With prices of fuel these days...it helps a lot!! We also invested in split ductless AC/heat unit.... Already saw BIG saving on electric bill when using the AC this past summer. The heat portion also great for those chilly days in spring/fall ... but in dead of winter we do need the regular furnace running.

#14 ·
Well, even if I don't understand everything said here, or live in the US I am learning a lot! Thanks ladies!
I am both frugal by necessity & by nature (grew up in a large family). I use a lot of the ideas mentioned already & like Sylie, I do w/out & recycle & buy quality (I have a miele vacumn also). We also have always had a good espresso machine. Some things in life mean more than others! I have no issues w/shopping at consignment or charity shops--in fact it makes me feel good when I do! I have to think long & hard about any purchase. I really do not enjoy eating out at all--not just the $$ but I don't usually like the quality of the food. We sometimes splurge on a "nice" place. I do make everything at home from scratch usually. I buy fresh & quality ingredients.
On the other hand I love to give to others, especially our daughters. I am always thinking of saving on something so I can splurge on something for them. I am not much of an impulse buyer.
We also spend extra on the people we work with---another source of joy for us.
We, too, took a beating in the financial crisis--like everyone else we know, but my motto is always "hey, it is just money." My best friends always say that is one thing they always think about when they think of me! If I am going to worry about something I want it to be important! So not only am I frugal w/money but w. my worries, my time and thoughts! OK, I admit it---I am stinkin' frugal.

#16 ·
See how not frugal i am, I had to research the Miele Vacuum. I'm always looking for tools to clean with.!!
:smrofl::smrofl:
Debbie, even my most frugal of all frugality daughters just bought a used Miele vacuum cleaner!

#17 ·
Oh now I have to look up that vacuum cleaner lol! I love the idea of saving up for the best instead of having to constantly replace inferior products. I am a Gemini so the waiting to save up is always hard for me. I am VERY impulsive...just cheap :) .

Terry ~ it sounds like you guys have made so wonderful choice in frugality....I need to look up the AC unit info. Our house is quite small, but not very well insulated and not the quality of materials that we had at a previous home. We have to be careful not to over-invest in upgrades to this property, because we may not see a very good return on the investment. I hope to one day live at the beach, so I always have that in the back of my mind lol. I drive a Toyota Yaris. It is tiny but excellent on fuel. It is becoming more challenging now though. I have 2 nephews (and another niece or nephew due this summer) that I pick up from school a couple of times a week. Getting the kids in and out of the car is challenging and I'm not sure how a baby seat is even going to work! Another car isn't in the budget, so I guess it will all just have to work out.

#19 ·
We both have a canister---actually I have two---one here & one in the US!:brownbag::brownbag:
OK, I admit it, I could not part w/it when we moved back to the US so use it on a reverse transformer---how is that for being frugal!
I also have an up-right Kenmore in the US---don't even ask!:innocent:

#21 ·
Not so hard for me on this one Deb---I hate ironing. . . & would never, ever, ever, iron my sheets! :HistericalSmiley:
Nope, not even tempted! :wub:

#22 ·
LOL... Ironing is about the ONLY household task I love to do LOL.... ( Now vacuuming/dusting....not so much LOL )
Have a Rowenta iron I bought from QVC years ago and it's still going strong in spite of being dropped onto concrete floor a couple of times :blush:
I iron almost everything!..even hubby's tee shirts and yes... ironed sheets a 'must" LOL

#23 ·
I do love a good deal and I try to save money where and when I can. When I buy online, I'll google to see if they have a promo and I'll usually wait until free shipping is offered. I wish my husband was more like me. He does all the grocery shopping and never looks at prices. He says "Women shop, men buy". :smilie_tischkante:

On big ticket items, I do a lot of research and don't get in a hurry.

#27 ·
I'm all Champagne taste on a beer budget. My husband always tells me I married the wrong guy. Sigh. I love a good deal but it has to fall in my lap because I subscribe to the time is money adage and I just don't have time (or patience) to hunt for bargains! And I'm a quality over quantity gal too! I need to check out that Miele vacuum cleaner! But I hate to clean, I want a vacuum that will run itself. I grew up pretty spoiled but my mom was pretty frugal when it came to clothes and stuff like that, so I'm not a big clothes horse/fancy handbag kind of girl. But I will splurge on a fabulous (and classic) pair of boots or shoes once or twice a year. Anytime I've skimped on shoes I've regretted it. I'll take shoes over a vacuum cleaner any day!!

#28 ·
Celeta I agree about the shoes over the vacuum---I am strictly comfort too, not fashion. A good mattress also above the vacuum (but I will still have the vacuum in the end as well). I say you are either in the shoes or in the rack---so those go first.

#29 ·
I used to be very frugal, until I met Cici! I come from a poor family that has worked farms their whole life, and we were used to not having much. All my Christmas presents I got as a kid came from yard sales. I learned about bargain hunting from going to yard sales and swap meets with my mom. Over the years we've managed to grow a little economically, and now my mom is far from frugal lol she likes spending a lot in decorating the home, and I don't blame her, she's giving herself everything she always wanted and couldn't have. Well, not everything because we still haven't hit the jackpot lol, but she still shops on Craigslist and goes to yard sales, but if she really likes something at the store there's no stopping her)
I still stayed frugal. All my paychecks went straight to savings and I only spent $20 a month on cell phone bill, I didn't even have a car to put gas in so no money spent there. I really love saving money, and the $ I'm saving is going straight to be spent on my first home when I get married, so I don't touch that no matter what. But now I have more bills and necessities to purchase so it's harder.
I'm very girly but don't buy a lot of shoes or clothes (my boyfriend has more shoes than me! Haha). I love swap meets and yard sales, craigslist, ebay, and coupons! So I guess those would be my only "tricks" lol. I sign up for free memberships at grocery stores and take advantage of the savings plus mnifacturer coupons and store sales.

I never had an urge to buy something, until Cici came along!! Now all I can think of is what to get her next. I spend my nights looking for things on eBay, amazon or sellers on FB. I try to find things for a good price though, so I try to be patient. But this girl has got me spending a lot, she's so spoiled. Lately I've had to cut back though, so I just look at things.

#30 ·
Nora, I love the "heritage" your mom passed down to you---it may well be one of the most valuable things you own. It is something that money truly "can not buy." Kudos to your mom for teaching you so well---maybe it wasn't her choice but that doesn't matter in the end!
One of my daughters has a bumper sticker that says "live simply, so that others simply may live." Love it.

#31 ·
Oh I love this thread! So fun seeing how you all splurge and save ... and why you do so :) . Nora you have inspired me to look at my cell phone bill again. There really is no real reason for me to have the plan that I do. It could save us $40 or so a month. I'm about to splurge on a new sofa set (I think) and that is really causing me to be a little anxious. Basically it comes down to furniture or a vacation. We live about an hour or so from the beach, so day trips would be an option still. Oh decisions, decisions lol! If I could just find a crisp, clean white sofa in cotton ~ I think it would be a done deal. I do not like all these weird fabric textures out there! Yep, OCD :) .

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.