Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Makes no sense to me

980 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Yogi's Mom 
#1 ·
Ollie finally started eating and playing so we figured he was okay. Well, last night he ate his whole bowl of food and this morning he was covered in drool....I mean face, tail, feet and legs. When I put down his food he ate about half and hasn't drooled a bit. Any ideas? I'm thinking about giving him a 1/4 tablet of Pepto-Bismol to see if that will help. :smilie_tischkante:

#2 ·
Maybe he has developed allergies to the food? It makes him nauseous?

Or he's developed reflux/heartburn? Just thinking out loud here....

I'd call the vet, even just to talk to them on the phone. Maybe a daily pepcid would be helpful.... but you need the proper dose.

With Gus, when he has flares, it sometimes takes a week or almost two for him to get back to normal.

#3 ·
Lily used to drool like mad when she had to ride in the car. I don't know if it upset her stomach or made her anxious. I'd wait and see with Ollie. An occasional antacid would be okay, but not on a daily basis. Antacids become habit forming in that they actual alert your stomach to produce more acid, more acid more pills in a circle.

#5 ·
Donna,
Something sounds off to me. some kind of reaction to something maybe? any new spray on carpets, floor cleaning, yard spray going on last week or so? I would prob go to a vet if he is that much (covered from head to toe) drool. Sounds like a lot to me. Hope he feels better soon.

#7 ·
Vet checked his teeth the other day when this all started....he just needs a cleaning this Spring. I called the vet and he is on Cerenia for a few days. If it doesn't work she is going to x-ray his tummy. Should help calm his tummy so the drooling stops. I'm thinking a nice warm dip in the tub may be in order soon! Thank you all for your prayers and advice.

#10 ·
Gave Ollie his meds and he didn't drool last night!! Hopefully he won't drool today. Please keep him in your prayers. If he doesn't start drooling after he has finished his meds he won't need to be x-rayed. I am just so concerned it is something more than an upset stomach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.