Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Hello..trying to learn all I can abt maltise

769 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  nancyjo 
#1 ·
Am new to this forum..was given a baby maltise by a lady who could no longer care for him..his name is Mitch ..he was so small we had to bottle feed ..the mother from what we were told ,killed all her babies except this one ..and he had to be taken from her in order to save him..he is growing well ..and has the cutest personality..I want to learn all I can abt this breed ..we have noticed his eyes water alot and is giving us a concern ..we think he is abt 11 weeks ..we also have a Chihuahuah whom we love very much ..she is our baby ..and so excited abt having little Mitch in our family..am enjoying seeing all the pictures of the maltise ..trying to find info on the best foods to feed them and any health concerns for this breed ..thank you

#5 ·
Welcome, thats A Heartbreaking story-Breaks My Heart. So Great you took Mitch. Iam New Also-I Have Learned More Than I Ever Could Any where else on this site. The Support Is Awesome!!!!
Cant wait to see Mitch-Love Pictures.
My Yogi Is 10mo old-weighs 6 1/2 pounds. Nickee In Pa*

#6 ·
It sounds as thought little Mitch is just adorable and want to thank you for giving him such a wonderful and loving home. I have never heard of an animal killing all of their young and am wondering why she left him alone. Very sad indeed to read that a Malt would do this to one of their own.

#8 ·
Good luck with Mitch. I have a puppy we have been bottle feeding and it is not uncommon for them to face some extra challenges. I hope your little one thrives.

I have heard of this happening. Years back on this forum I remember a foster mom caring for a young bitch who had been bred before taken into foster and having something like this happen. It was a mixed breed as I recall.

From what I have read, there are a few reasons that a dam might kill her own puppies. First of all, sometimes there is an accident. For instance, some bitches can be overly obsessive about licking the umbilical area and "go too far" opening up the area and injuring the baby. Sometimes a baby is sick and the mother follows a natural course that takes out the weakest. Or perhaps the mother is sick. If she is suffering from eclampsia / low calcium, she may not be in her "right head." If the mother is in an environment where she does not feel safe or feels food sources are restricted, this could also be a potential reason. Another factor I have heard could be a bitch that was bred too young. Immature dams might not understand fully the responsibilities of motherhood.

#9 ·
This might sound harsh, but it truly isn't meant to be...first it is Maltese. A capital M for the proper noun...as they are supposedly originated from the island of Malta. Misspelling the word may mess up any search you do. So, now that you are ready to learn all you can about the Maltese breed, research the many sub-forums on this site. A wealth of knowledge will open up to you.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone..sorry abt the miss spell..havent been on Mitch got sick ..took him to the vet..he is doing much much better..found out he was younger than we thought, and doc said he has bad worms ..so we are thinking the other babies might of had worms and the mother killed them ,not sure if that was the case..he weighs .8pds..he seemed to be doing good and the other morn he woke up limp and stiff ,scared us..we already had him an appointment for a check up..but they took him right in when we called..he was given his first shots and wormer.he is playing and happy now ..I posted picts of him, not sure if you can see them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.