Biewer Terrier or Biewer Yorkies - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default Biewer Terrier or Biewer Yorkies

I have seen this breed listed on a couple of other forums. I don't know what it is? They are not listed on the AKC list of registered breeds. The pictures are cute, like a maltese/yorkie mix. What is the differece between this and any other mixed breed, like a Morkie?

Please donate to GME reseach.
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Membership Suspended

Send a message via Yahoo to Starsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
I have seen this breed listed on a couple of other forums. I don't know what it is? They are not listed on the AKC list of registered breeds. The pictures are cute, like a maltese/yorkie mix. What is the differece between this and any other mixed breed, like a Morkie?
Here you go Pam...

Biewer
(Biewer Terrier) (Biewer a'la Pom Pon) (Biewer Yorkie) (Biewer Yorkshire) (Biewer Yorkie Terrier)
Biewer - Forever and Ever "My Insatiable Love" - Courtesy of Kennel "My Insatiable Love".

Pronunciation

-
Description

The Biewer is that of a long-haired toy terrier whose hair hangs evenly and quite straight down the side of the body, and from the base of the skull to the end of the tail. The animal should be very compact and neat. the tail should be carried up. The outlines should give the impression of the powerful and well proportioned body. The hair on the body has a length down the sides of the dog, or long enough to reach the ground, and is absolutely straight (not wooly), shiny like silk and of fine silky texture, without an undercoat. Coloring of the coat of the trunk and the head piece are as follows; rather white or blue-white broken or closely blue absolutely, or black, without brown coloring. Hair on the breast, pure white on the belly, and the legs. The head with white-blue-gold, symmetrical colored.
Temperament

Biewers seem oblivious of their small size. They are very eager for adventure. This little dog is highly energetic, brave, loyal and clever. With owners who take the time to understand how to treat a small dog, the Biewer is a wonderful companion! Affectionate with their master, but if humans are not this dog's pack leader, they can become suspicious of strangers and aggressive to strange dogs and small animals. They can also become yappy, as the dog does their best to tell you what THEY want YOU to do. They have a true terrier heritage and need someone who understands how to be their leader. They are often only recommended for older, considerate children, simply because they are so small, most people allow them to get away with behaviors no dog should display. This changes the dogs temperament, as the dog starts to take over the house (Small Dog Syndrome). Biewers who become demanding and dependant appearing to need a lot of human attention and/or developing jealous behaviors, snapping if surprised, frightened or over-teased, have owners who need to rethink how they are treating the dog. Owners who do not instinctually meet the dogs needs can also find them to become over-protective, and become neurotic. Biewers are easy to train, although they can sometimes be stubborn if owners do not give the dog proper boundaries. They can be difficult to housebreak. The Biewer is an excellent watchdog. When owners display pack leadership to the Biewer, they are very sweet and loving and can be trusted with children. The problems only arise when owners, because of the dogs cute little size, allow them to take over the house. The human will not even realize it, however know, if you have any of the negative behaviors listed above, it's time to look into your pack leader skills. These are truly sweet little dogs who need owners who understand how to give them gentle leadership. If you own a Biewer who does not display any of the negative behaviors, high five for being a good pack leader!
Height, Weight
Height - Up to 8.5 inches (22 cm.)
Weight - 7 pounds (3.1 kg.)
Note: According to the BCTA the Biewer does not have a height limit in the standard. It has a weight and proportion requirement.
Health Problems

The Biewer Terrier tends to have a more sensitive stomach, but with a good diet and controlled treat distribution, they do well.
Living Conditions

The Biewer can live in an apartment if it gets enough exercise. They are fairly active indoors and will do okay without a yard.
Exercise

These are active little dogs, who need a daily walk. Play will take care of a lot of their exercise needs, however, as with all breeds, it will not fulfill their primal instinct to walk. Dogs who do not get to go on daily walks are more likely to display behavior problems. If your Biewer zooms around the house like a speeding bullet, it is a sign that he needs to go on more/longer walks where he is made to heel beside or behind the human. Remember, in a dogs mind, the leader leads the way. They will also enjoy a good romp in a safe open area off lead, such as a large fenced in yard.
Life Expectancy

About 12-15 years
Grooming
As a companion most owners prefer to have this breed in a "perpetual puppy cut". A bath at home about every two to three weeks will maintain a healthy coat, if it is combed out with a wire comb once a week. Show Coat: The Biewer will develop a coat that reaches the ground. Some breeders rap the coat to produce a very impressive elegant floor length coat for the show ring. Their coat is very similar to human hair but, it is not suggested to use people shampoo as dogs have a different ph than humans. Using people shampoo can result in dry, itchy, flaking and sometimes allergic reactions in their skin. It is best to always brush the Biewer that has been sprayed with a light mixture of conditioner and water. Never brush a Biewer Terrier when it is completely as it may damage the coat. Ears should stand erect as young puppies. To keep them erect they must be trimmed every few weeks. By beginning about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the ear, carefully snip or shave, with a Trimmer Finisher, the hair from the inner and outer ear surfaces.
Origin
The Biewer Yorkie was originally a piebald genetic recessive gene occurrence from 2 Yorkshire Terriers. It originated in Germany on January 20, 1984 from a breeding by Gertrud and Werner Biewer's Yorkshire Terriers. In this particular litter they produced a piebald Yorkie puppy from a genetic recessive gene. This piebald puppy's registered name was Schneefloeckchen von Friedheck ( Snowflake) Sire: Darling von Friedheck a FCI World Junior Champion in Dortmund in 1981 Dam: Fru-Fru von Friedheck a FCI World Junior Championess in Dortmund in 1981. Gertrud and Werner Biewer found this puppy to be quite beautiful and began a selective breeding process to produce more piebald puppies. Gertrud and Werner Biewer named these Yorkies with white markings "Biewer Yorkshire Terrier a la Pom Pon". It was from these breedings the Biewer Yorkie was developed. The breed was officially recognized in 1989 by the ACH ( allgemeiner Club der Hundefreunde Deutschland - ACH e. V ).
Today Yorkshire Terriers and Biewers are considered two different breeds. Against the wishes of some of the Biewer clubs, some American breeders are importing Biewers and crossing them with the Yorkshire Terriers and calling them Biewer Yorkies. The clubs state, "Breeding back to the Yorkie is a big no no, as purebred is NOT achieved by breeding with another breed."
A hybrid breeder, who mixes the Biewer and the Yorkie states, "There can be Biewer and Yorkshire color puppies in a single litter, but only in the F2 Generation. In the F1 generation; if you breed a Biewer and a Yorkshire , you get only Yorkshire color puppies (black and tan). If you keep a puppy and breed this again to a true Biewer (3 generation Biewer) you will get Biewer and Yorkshire puppies. If you keep again a puppy no matter if Yorkie color or Biewer; and breed this again to a Biewer you get only Biewer puppies." Find out more about multi-generation crosses.
The BTCA states they were involved in a 2 year study with the geneticists at Mars Veterinary and were able to determine that the Biewer Terrier is now a distinct breed of its own and not a Tri colored Yorkshire Terrier. The BTCA has changed the Biewer's written standard and also it's original name to the Biewer Terrier. The BTCA, Inc. has the only accepted revised standard signed by Mrs. Biewer. The revised standard allows for undocked tails and black in the coats. Any other standard being used was not developed with the aide of Mrs. Biewer. It is said that Mrs. Biewer agrees with the Biewer Terrier name and not the Biewer a la Pom Pon. She said the dog is a Terrier and Terrier has to stay in the name. The a la Pom Pon was added for fun and means nothing. Some breeders disagree with these changes, stating that is not the breed's name. The Biewer Yorkshire ala Pom Pon is also called the Biewer or Biewer Yorkie.
Group

Toy/Companion
Recognition

BBCA, BTCA, CBC, BBCC, BYTNC, ABC, GERMANY, IABCA, RARITIES, and NCA, APRI, ACR, BYA, WRV, DRA, ACHC, IDCR
Starsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

I absolutely LOVE the look of the Biewer Yorkies, but as you discovered they are not an AKC recognized breed and until (or if, ever) AKC recognizes them as an individual breed I will not support breeding of them.

I don't know a whole lot about them, other than they are indeed Yorkies, and I believe the coloring comes from breeding two dogs with a diluted recessive gene, or something along those lines. I think they are so beautiful and I do hope someday AKC recognizes them! I wonder if they have any special health problems due to the diluted color breeding??
Old 10-31-2010, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

I had heard there was LS in some of the lines in Germany so you have to be extremely careful when buying. Personally, I prefer the yorkie look to the Biewer.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

I have always loved the look of these dogs - the coloring is so pretty and unusual! Although, personally, I like the baby faced pups over the longer muzzled ones. ....Just my opinion.

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Suzi
Dog's Name: Cody-Maltese, Mandy-Bichon mix, Josey-Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I absolutely LOVE the look of the Biewer Yorkies, but as you discovered they are not an AKC recognized breed and until (or if, ever) AKC recognizes them as an individual breed I will not support breeding of them.

I don't know a whole lot about them, other than they are indeed Yorkies, and I believe the coloring comes from breeding two dogs with a diluted recessive gene, or something along those lines. I think they are so beautiful and I do hope someday AKC recognizes them! I wonder if they have any special health problems due to the diluted color breeding??
I think they are beautiful. I think they are getting more and more popular. I see them more and more. Interesting thread, as, I didn't know anything about them either and was confused. I'm shocked. I didn't know they weren't recognized by AKC.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzimalteselover View Post
I think they are beautiful. I think they are getting more and more popular. I see them more and more. Interesting thread, as, I didn't know anything about them either and was confused. I'm shocked. I didn't know they weren't recognized by AKC.
They are getting more popular with greeders, too.

Backyard breeders have jumped on the Biewer bandwagon since Biewers are in demand and charge outrageous prices for them - $3,000 and up is common.

There are a couple of clubs here in the US that are constantly fighting amongst themselves.

Biewer Breed Club of America

index

I seriously doubt they will ever be recognized as a breed as a result.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

There is also the MiKi which appears to be a cross between a Papillion, Maltese and Japanese Chin. I have seen both of these breeds mentioned on a couple of other popular small dog forums as if they are an accepted breed of dog. Neither is mentioned anywhere on the AKC website.

It just looks to me like people trying to pass off mixed breed dogs as some kind of rare purebred dogs.

Please donate to GME reseach.
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund

Last edited by pammy4501; 10-31-2010 at 12:35 PM.
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Eileen
Dog's Name: Pip, Daisy & Gracie

This whole accepted breed thing is a bit confusing to me...who determines when a breed is recognized? Is it a numbers thing? Afterall, don't many of them result somewhere along the line from a mixing of breeds? "Some dog breeds, such as Saluki[11] or New Guinea Singing Dogs , have been bred for thousands of years. Some working dog breeds such as German Shepherd or Labrador Retriever'[are more recent. (from Widipedia) "Dog breeds are groups of closely related and visibly similar domestic dogs, which are all of the subspecies Canis lupus familiaris, having characteristic traits that are selected and maintained by humans, bred from a known foundation stock" (forgot the site this came from). So if these little guys are showing up more and more always looking the same standard, there is a chance that they could get recognized one day, I'm thinking... wonder why they aren't just called parti colored yorkies? *Disclaimer: I am just musing outloud : know bupkiss about breeding*
Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dee
Dog's Name: Shoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
There is also the MiKi which appears to be a cross between a Papillion, Maltese and Japanese Chin. I have seen both of these breeds mentioned on a couple of other popular small dog forums as if they are an accepted breed of dog. Neither is mentioned anywhere on the AKC website.

It just looks to me like people trying to pass off mixed breed dogs as some kind of rare purebred dogs.
I went to a "Rare Breed" dog show about 10 yrs. ago and saw Miki's. The ones I saw there were very tiny--too tiny for me. Since they didn't have a "standard" at that time, I don't know what they look like now. They were cute.

The Biewer is awfully cute! Will it ever make it to AKC, possible I guess. Many of our present AKC breeds were "designer" pets at one time. That doesn't mean I agree with all this mixing, but it is a fact.

Furbaby's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement