Cisco was bitten by a lab! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Gracie (Brookside Maltese) and Ella (MaltAngel Maltese)
Unhappy Cisco was bitten by a lab!

I'm so upset with myself right now and just need to let it all out. On Thursday I was walking all three of my furbabies on a walking trail around a park we go to almost every day. A yellow lab was roaming around loose, so I handed my dog's leashes to another dog walker I know well and went up to the lab who ran to me wagging his tail. I was able to grab his collar and call the number on it. I got back to my babies and the lab followed me. Cisco, my 15 year old cockapoo, can be a bit fearful of big dogs since he was attacked my one when he was about a year old. I don't know if the lab sensed this, but in an instant he had Cisco's neck in his mouth!!!! I had to hit his head with Cisco's leash to get him to let go. Cisco didn't cry out or yelp. He just seemed scared. When I tried to pick him up and put him in the car he lashed out at me and bit me. We've had some aggression issues with him as he's aged, so this wasn't out of character. (The vet and I have been working on these issues. She feels some of it is some mental confusion and he's sometimes in pain with his arthritis, so is reactive if anyone touches a sensitive area.) Anyway, he seemed fine, but I couldn't examine him closely or he'd try to bite. He ate dinner and seemed comfortable through the night. He was even anxious to go for his walk yesterday, however I noticed he yelped once when he pulled on the leash. So, this morning I decided to buy a muzzle, so I could check him out. I was heartbroken when I saw his wound and immediately took him to the emergency vet. (My vet of course is closed on Saturday!) He has several puncture wounds on his head/neck but only one deep one. Thankfully it didn't go through the muscle. The vet decided to leave the wound open so it could continue to drain. He's on some pain meds and antibiotic. What was I thinking when I didn't have him checked out right away???. I'm so embarrased and appalled at myself. I think it must be because money is really tight right now, and I didn't want a huge vet bill just to be told he was fine. But that's still not at all like me. I'm usually at the vet immediately if I sense something is wrong. I feel like the worst mommy in the world right now.

I AM grateful that if the lab was going to grab a dog that it wasn't Gracie or Ella. The vet said it would have probably killed a little Maltese!

Anyway, Cisco will be fine. Me....it may take a little longer to forgive myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Cisco was bitten by a lab!-bite-wound.jpg  

educ8m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maureen
Dog's Name: Cherry Lola, (Bonnies Angels) Penny Lane, (Spunsilk)

Oh no!! you were trying to do the right thing and look what happens I am so sorry, don't beat yourself up, we have all put off the vet sometimes, I am sure Cisco wouldn't feel any better or worse for the delay. You still dealt with it and that is all that matters. I was recently close to bigger dogs and felt I didn't quite protect my two enough. No issues, but I realized again how fragile they are and what lengths we have to go for our teeny ones. I am keeping them up and away from now on. I don't care if anyone thinks I am being over protective. I hope Cisco feels better soon.

silverhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Bogie and Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

I am so sorry that happened to you and Cisco. All any of us can do is make the best decisions we can with the knowledge we have. You didn't know he was hurt. Thank goodness Cisco will be all right.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Oh gee poor Cisco!! See, I'm afraid of the big dog's in my neighborhood, even though they are behind invisible fences. We know that you're a good fur mom, sometimes we don't want to overeact, but the vet seems to think he'll be OK. That's the main thing! Cisco will be good as new in no time!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Deb - I'm so sorry that Cisco was attacked. I just worry so much with big dogs and our little ones. You had no way of knowing though, Deb. It only takes a second for something like that to happen and also as far as getting Cisco medical aid sooner, there was no way you could get close enough to evaluate. In fact I don't think I would have been smart enough to get a muzzle to check things out. Glad things aren't as bad as they look for Cisco. Quite a bite. I do hope that you track down the dog who did it and check that they're up to date on the rabies shot and also have them pay the bill. Never should have been off leash.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Lexi (adopted) Cassidy (Bonnie's Angel)

I am so sorry that happened to Cisco - glad he will be ok
LexiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Gosh, Deb, I am so sorry this happened..how awful! The important thing is that Cisco will be okay..please forgive yourself, because I forgive you.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese

Hi Deb,
I am so glad he is ok. I know how frightened you were. I have a thread from when Sammie was 9 mo old I think it was that I posted one day after a stroll/walk when a Lab grabbed him from his stroller by the neck, and I yanked the lease/harness and it saved him. It was actually 2 that ran under a garage door that was being opened while the owners stood inside the garage. they of course ran to the mail box to pee and crossed the street to me and Sammie in his stroller. Let me tell you it happened in a flash and I still to this day do not know how he survived without a single bite. I thought I was going to have a heart attack right there. It changed his personality as he now barks at all dogs. He is friendly at groomer and other dogs he knows, but still afraid. But I no longer walk him far at all and am very Leary as so many people do not leash their dogs. It is a shame really, as it changes the way our little ones get their exercise. I don't go to parks at all. As they can come out of no where. It still was an expensive Vet trip, as he was suffering from shock and would not stop screaming. He had to be sedated.

I am so glad it was not worse and Cisco is going to be ok.

Last edited by SammieMom; 02-18-2012 at 07:44 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Lilly and Daisy

Oh my....I would be a wreck. Since reading all the stories here we only walk around the block and when I see another dog on leash or not I pick up. Even when they say it's OK.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

cyndrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I swear that just before I read this I was thinking about an old black lab I used to know. I was thinking that I had misjudged him, because I always thought that male labs were dog aggressive and didn't trust them. People who have a dog aggressive breed need to take extra precautions, but sadly many of those people are just stupid and some of them actually find it amusing. Yes, it is true they think tiny dogs are inferior and big untrained dogs are ...well, I guess the dogs are like the owners...misfits and/or sociopaths.

I just hope our little Cisco kid heals real fast...and if he hates big stupid dogs forever we can form a club. Stupid lab.

Please understand, it is only aggressive, uncontrolled big dogs that I ...okay... I hate.

My black lab neighbor turned out to be a sweet, loving gentleman, I am so glad that I got over my prejudice in time to love him. He limped over to my house to say goodbye the day before he died.
Advertisement