Reviews of Skinnytaste.com Recipes! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Agreed about the zucchini boats, we made them here and they were a hit-I even froze some to take to work for lunch the following days.

I have also made the pasta salad Summer Macaroni Salad with Tomatoes and Zucchini and it was great-however it makes a ton, I cut the recipe in half and still had a ton. If you do any pot lucks though this would be a wonderful dish. I found out that I'm not crazy about raw zucchini-I prefer it softer. I did take left overs for this for lunch for one day but today I threw the rest away, it's not the kind of thing I would want to keep more than a day or two.
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
Agreed about the zucchini boats, we made them here and they were a hit-I even froze some to take to work for lunch the following days.

I have also made the pasta salad Summer Macaroni Salad with Tomatoes and Zucchini and it was great-however it makes a ton, I cut the recipe in half and still had a ton. If you do any pot lucks though this would be a wonderful dish. I found out that I'm not crazy about raw zucchini-I prefer it softer. I did take left overs for this for lunch for one day but today I threw the rest away, it's not the kind of thing I would want to keep more than a day or two.
I made the summar macaroni salad for our July 4 BBQ and it was a big hit! You are right though, the recipe makes ton. I can't wait to make this again but will cut the recipe in half for sure.

beckybc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lindsey
Dog's Name: Mika

I'm obsessed with this site and have been using it for years. I have made over 50 of her recipes and haven't been disappointed with any !!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)
Default Newest Recipe Review

Newest Recipe Review

It has been a while since I reviewed a Skinnytaste.com recipe since I was following the Insanity workout nutrition guide...I have lost 10lbs and while I took about a month off, I will be getting back into it again. We have drastically changed our eating habits overall but we still indulge on delicious foods we love, just in more moderation.

Tonight I made Spaghetti with Creamy Butternut Leek Parmesan Sauce with a 1/2 batch of Easy Garlic Cheddar Biscuits.

They were both delicious and a perfect meal for Fall. I loved the combination of the leeks and butternut squash. Portion size seems quite large which is a bonus because we tend to eat a large quantity of pasta whenever I make it. The biscuits remind me of the Cheddar Bay biscuits at Red Lobster (just not as greasy), in fact, in a way they were better because they weren't so fat-laden. I usually make my biscuits from scratch but I just happened to have exactly 1 cup left of the Bisquick Heart Healthy mix! In the future I would probably just make them from scratch for cost savings.

Another winner!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cory
Dog's Name: Bibu and Kissy
Send a message via Skype™ to Bibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
Arroz con Pollo Lightened Up - I have never actually had the "real thing", but it is one of my husband's favorites so I thought I would make it for him. He loved it and I let him put his on tortillas like he normally does at a restaurant. I ate it without tortillas. The serving size was very generous, 1 cup of cooked rice and 1 chicken thigh. It filled me up! Next time I would add mushrooms as that is how I've always seen it made. I didn't have "sazon" or "adobo powder" so I Googled up what they are made from and mixed up my own (though I didn't have onion powder). Honestly, you can just use any latin type of spices and it will taste just fine!
Oooooh....I like this idea of healthy recipe sharing!!! MMmmmm....!! Lisa, iif you want a not so healthy Puerto Rican recipe for the Arroz con Pollo let me know. The secret to making it extra unhealthy is adding beer! I would be glad to share that with you and you can cook it for a special occasion...your husband will love you even more!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cory
Dog's Name: Bibu and Kissy
Send a message via Skype™ to Bibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
Newest Recipe Review

It has been a while since I reviewed a Skinnytaste.com recipe since I was following the Insanity workout nutrition guide...I have lost 10lbs and while I took about a month off, I will be getting back into it again. We have drastically changed our eating habits overall but we still indulge on delicious foods we love, just in more moderation.
That is awesome! 10 lbs is a lot of weight and it always feels so good to be 10 lbs lighter! Keep up the work.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibu View Post
Oooooh....I like this idea of healthy recipe sharing!!! MMmmmm....!! Lisa, iif you want a not so healthy Puerto Rican recipe for the Arroz con Pollo let me know. The secret to making it extra unhealthy is adding beer! I would be glad to share that with you and you can cook it for a special occasion...your husband will love you even more!
Oh, yes please!!! It would be a great dish to cook for his birthday or on a regular day that we just feel like being bad! I would love an authentic recipe...yummy! And, he loves beer so he will go nuts for it! lol
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

This morning I made Baked Oatmeal w/ Pumpkin & Bananas.

I really love this recipe because it will keep you full for quite a while. I really enjoy pumpkin bread and banana bread and oatmeal as well, and this is a tasty combination of all three! I had one serving for breakfast, and tonight my husband and I each had a serving for dessert. It is equally satisfying for both breakfast and dessert.

I followed the recipe exactly without substituting or making any changes and I really liked the way it came out. It may be a little sweet for some folks for breakfast, but it isn't any more sweet than a yummy pumpkin or banana bread. Two thumbs up from me!

My favorite thing about it is that after being baked, it sets up beautifully (especially once you refrigerate it) and maintains its shape after slicing. It would be perfect for individually wrapping if you need a quick grab-and-go breakfast to eat cold or if you wait until you get to work to microwave it.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I also recently made Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherd's Pie.

It was okay. Well, it was perfectly good except the frozen mixed vegetables totally ruined it. Before making it I was skeptical about using frozen veggies but I had yet to make a Skinnytaste recipe that wasn't delicious so I went ahead with it as directed. Big mistake! The frozen green beans were the worst part -- frozen green beans taste nothing like fresh (or even canned for that matter) green beans. It was a huge turn off.

If I made this again, I would use only fresh vegetables (cooked properly before baking), and perhaps add a bit more Worchestershire sauce. Realistically you could do with or without the parsnips...you could tell they were in there if you took a bite of one, but otherwise they weren't really noticeable. My parsnips weren't cheap so next time I would just add more onion and celery or more mixed veggies and forego the parsnips alltogether.

This recipe so far is the only one I probably wouldn't make again -- well, I probably will, but it will be my own version. I really liked the sweet potato version because they are great for you. Also, the mushrooms were fantastic in it because it added bulk (and nutrition) but you really couldn't taste any mushroom flavor at all. I happen to LOVE mushrooms so I would probably cut larger chunks for a portion of it but I know a lot of folks don't care for mushrooms so no worries!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Breasts

I made Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Breasts http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/s...n-breasts.html for dinner tonight and my husband loved it! He is a huge fan of anything buffalo-spiced, and also a huge blue cheese lover.

I enjoyed this recipe because it wasn't overly spicy. I did not put the hot sauce/butter/garlic mixture on top. Instead, I just added garlic powder to the Ritz cracker breading and I thought it was perfect. The mixture inside the chicken was so creamy and delicious! The light blue cheese wedges taste so yummy! I hadn't had Laughing Cow cheese wedges before tonight but now I understand why everyone loves them!

Another winner from Skinnytaste.com!

Last edited by LJSquishy; 12-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement