Haven't gotten on SM much - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I have had a very heavy heart since Sandy. I feel helpless. It is so hard. I feel like I am reliving a terrible nightmare. I wish I could help, but I am too far away...and right now totally strapped for cash. I want to bury my head in the sand. This has been such a horrible time for my friends, I just can't shrug it off and get to happy stuff. Sigh. I try to come on with any joy I can muster, but mostly I just want to cry.
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Sue, what happened is truly beyond comprehension. I've seen complete devastation from tornados before but that has been in a relatively limited area. I can't imagine the size and scope of it all.

With the holidays coming, I'm sure that special efforts will be made to help families with children. Please continue to let us know how we can help.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Yes it will fade away from the national spotlight when it's no news anymore. So sad. Rebuilding will not be done overnight, it will take months if not years. What is not helping is that it is such a large area that has been affected. Fema, Red Cross, Salvation Army they cannot be everywhere. And they cannot do anything about the electric power. And the power companies are overwhelmed. Like somebody said, I don't remember who, if the lines would be underground there would not be such a huge problem. Coming from Europe, I have never understood why nothing is underground here. Most shocking were the red lights on intersections dangling with the wind. Something that you rarely saw in Europe even in 1978. I showed some pictures to my family when we went back on vacation, they thought I was joking and that it looked like this only in the movies. Told them, no it's real life here. We call that "something temporary that lasts" (litteral translation). So sorry for your SIL Susan. I cannot even imagine loosing your whole house. And there are things you cannot replace.
Janine - I agree about underground and I think some towns, neighborhoods, etc especially that are newer are doing that. But in this tri-state area it's immense and to dig up areas would cost so much that no one's going that route. It's too bad but it's a massive undertaking that I'm sure no local or state gov't has the money for. Of course then you think of the money this storm has cost and it seems insane.
You've got it right about things you can't replace. She was looking for any pictures or any little things that her grown sons and her grandchildren made that didn't get ruined. There was very little. And her mom's cedar chest with years of handmade and other Christmas ornaments...all under water and ruined. It's all too sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
It is truly horrific what people went through. I have never seen destruction like this before.this close to home. I have also never seen a situation where lives were totally destroyed and a few blocks away life is near-normal. I saw the damage on staten island, and people nearing the ends of their lives lost everything with no hope of rebuilding. I know this is a non-political forum, and I am no fan of Christy, but one has to give him credit for springing into action. I feel so sad for everyone who lost things in this storm and for those losing their lives. The NYT told the story of a frail old man who decided to stay in his home, then the water rose,, and he drowned. So sorry for you sister in law.
Thanks, Walter. I agree about Christie. I'm not a fan of his but he really stepped up to the plate with this disaster...only problem is the immensity of it all and all the areas big and small that were nearly wiped out. My SIL's little town has no money or resources unlike the bigger towns so who knows how long her stuff will be piled up outside her house.
They just kept pulling bodies out of buildings and I still feel like they'll find more in really hard to get to places. They had a funeral today of a 13-year-old and her father who sat out the storm. She tweeted that they had to go to the second floor and then her house ripped apart and their bodies were found 4 blocks away. I saw the poor mom today at the funeral on the news. If only they had left. It's all overwhelming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
Sue, I forgot to call you back today!! My day was extremely hectic, one of the most hectic days I've ever lived through!!! My work should be over tomorrow, one more room to clear out...if I can find room to store everything, that is. Poor Linda was watching Mona Lisa for me and she broke two bones in her foot and is in a cast!!! So our sweet little girl came home today and I didn't realize how much I had missed that baby!! She had a birthday on November 6th and I missed it. she's now one!!!!

I don't know where anything I own is!! It is a complete mess around here! But I guess I'll live. Trying to put together three homes is more than I ever thought I could have done. But volunteers finally went to my mom's house today while my renter was there. Thank god that is finally beginning.

I even had to go into my office today to return some of the tenant's security deposits.
Pat - one step at a time. Don't worry about not calling me back. As soon as I heard you were in the middle of clearing things I knew you had to get that done. Happy birthday to Mona Lisa. All she needs to make her happy is her family and I know you'll celebrate at some later time. I don't know how you're handling three houses. Try to delegate whatever you can. Glad the volunteers showed up. They are so awesome. You can only do what you can do. Is your contractor any better or do you need to get another? Don't let him rattle you. Was going to say that demolition should be pretty fast. The guys were able to demolish the entire inside of the house in 7 hours...and that was a whole house.
Jeanne got a small storage locker a couple of miles from her house to put things in temporarily until she finds out where she will have to go. Maybe that would help with getting things cleared away and you'll have less clutter to make you crazier.
Hugs and try to take lots of warm relaxing showers and a glass of wine every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
I have had a very heavy heart since Sandy. I feel helpless. It is so hard. I feel like I am reliving a terrible nightmare. I wish I could help, but I am too far away...and right now totally strapped for cash. I want to bury my head in the sand. This has been such a horrible time for my friends, I just can't shrug it off and get to happy stuff. Sigh. I try to come on with any joy I can muster, but mostly I just want to cry.
I know how you feel, Sylvia. I've been the same way. We got through 9/11 here with time and this in some ways felt similar. Just the dark mood that was everywhere. But then you hear about how giving people are of their money, and goods and time and it's uplifting. We will get through this...rebuild, restore and renew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
Sue, what happened is truly beyond comprehension. I've seen complete devastation from tornados before but that has been in a relatively limited area. I can't imagine the size and scope of it all.

With the holidays coming, I'm sure that special efforts will be made to help families with children. Please continue to let us know how we can help.
Thanks, Maggie. Everytime I see the helicopter shots it takes my breath away. All along the jersey shore and bklyn, queens and long island. Jeanne's son's home up on the northern nj shore was flooded through the whole first floor including his little son's room. He has 4 kids and they're staying at friends. So many people have been affected, young and old
I am hoping that there will be a big toy drive for all the kids affected. They've lost life as they've known it and all their toys.And with people who didn't leave, they were scared to death when water went from 2" to 4 ft in no time. It's little things like toys that that help these kids so much. If I hear of anything I'll let you know. In the meantime I posted on FB that KEEN shoes has given thousands of pairs of new boots to people and Hess filled up competitors gas pumps during the shortage just to help so I suggest rewarding retailers like that with your business.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Sue, I have been thinking about you but knowing you from this forum knew that you were busy doing good. We here in NY have been affected in some way or another by this storm. Me too but not so much as my family. It's devastating to see what this storm has caused for so many people and how it will take so long to come back. All we can do is keep going and not give up. Hugs to you and yours.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Katkoota
Dog's Name: Snowy & Crystal
Send a message via Yahoo to Katkoota

I am very sorry for everyone who was affected by Sandy praying for a good n speedy recovery

Sent from Kat's iPhone

Snowy & Crystal R in Youtube. Click here for their videos
Skittles & Thalj the lovebirds
the family's pink boy, Dante.
Katkoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Sue, thank you and Jim so much for all of your help for those affected by the storm..I am so sorry about Jeanne, but glad she has a place to stay and can go back to work..that will help her have some stability and have something else to focus on. Yes there is still much devastation but I have seen a huge outpouring of volunteers like yourself helping in many ways..it will take some time but things will get better..big hugs to you!!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Sue, I haven't had time to read this whole thread, but wanted to say "I have missed you. . . and your humor!" The world is full of so much grief & sometimes it really hits home all at once.
Sending you and your family a big, big hug!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)

(((Sue))) God bless you. You're such a shining light and a true Angel for those in need.

I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Sue, my heart breaks for you guys up there. I'm sure most cannot comprehend the devastation. It seems like for some, if it doesn't happen in their backyard, it didn't happen at all. Please know that MANY mourn with you all. You are NOT alone. My family is in AL and the tornado a year or so back was a huge wake up call for us. What was to be my sisters home, was destroyed...she and my beautiful young nephew had just left the property before it was destroyed. They lost the property but their lives were spared. Glory to God.

We understand where you are coming from and we cry with you. I recently tried to organize a fundraising event for Sandy survivors, and the response laughable. I pray that folks are at least donating in some way to The Red Cross or some type of organized charity. Please let us know if there is something additional we can do for folks impacted.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Sue, you need not apologize at all for not being on SM lately. I can't even begin to fathom the devastation that is going on right now on the east coast. It makes my heart so heavy and I hope and pray that everyone can stay strong as the rebuilding occurs. You are so caring and I hope that you'll continue to keep a strong spirit as you help your SIL and others. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Please know that you are in our hearts ::hugs::
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement