Haven't gotten on SM much - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler
Unhappy Haven't gotten on SM much

Just wanted to apologize for not being on SM much since Superstorm Sandy. Have been going through a really depressing period looking at what's around us in NY and NJ and of course at the center of this sadness are my family and friends. I've watched Pat struggle so with the storm and its aftermath and know that this has turned her world upside down, but I also know that Pat has more fortitude than most people I know and she will be able to recover and have her beloved home back again. Just so thankful that she wasn't there for the storm. We're had so many friends without power for long amounts of time...Tammy, with Summer and B&E, Larry and Liz, Debbie (mom2James) with her adorable son, James, malts Yogi and Icy and her husband (just got power back), Kerry, Steve and the girls, and poor Linda (lexi's mom), who after helping Pat ended up with her skylight crashed into by a tree. And there is Anne (Pinkheadbaby) whose beach house was flooded. And these were the lucky ones who still have a home.

I spent Saturday going down to my SIL Jeanne's in South Jersey to strip her home down to the studs and the foundation as per FEMA's orders. Our dear Anne, despite the damage done to her house, offered to come down with her tools and protective wear...what wonderful friends we have in SM My SIL said she had 10 volunteers so I thanked Anne but told her we'd be okay. Don't want too many people wielding sledge hammers in small spaces. Armed with masks and hazmat suits, Jim, my friend Marsha and I went down to take on one of the most draining jobs ever-- emotionally and physically.

My SIL's house is a total loss. There was mold and the foundation was cracked after being submerged in roughly 5-6 feet of water for the week they wouldn't let her in. She has her car, computer, papers and some clothes she took when she evacuated but almost all else was gone. We were able to salvage some things in high cabinets. It took from 7am-3pm to totally gut the house, pack things and get them into a small storage unit. We're all so thankful that she has her life even though her house is gone. She's able to stay with her sister. She is a widow so it's just her right now to worry about. She is resilient and said she just wants to move on with her life. She went back to work today.

This is all so devastating and I see people suffering every day. I volunteered last week to sort and pack food and supplies to go to hard hit areas. I plan to do that again hopefully on the ground in those areas. I already see that the storm stories aren't on the national news. I hope that no one forgets how much people are suffering and continues to support NY and NJ victims. This is a nightmare for months and years to come and they still need so much including roofs over their heads.

Sorry to be such a downer but a big part of my heart is aching for the people and their pets who are decimated by this Superstorm. I apologize if I've missed so many threads and celebrating others achievements on SM. I'm thinking of you but a bit numb right now. I know things will improve.

Here were some shots of Saturday:
Here's what's left of the house

As Jeanne puts it, "My life on the street."

The "work" crew. Jeanne's in the front...short white hair.

The Red Cross with some food for those needing it.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I am soooo sorry about all the people who are in the midst of dealing with the aftermath of storm Sandy. I will continuously be keeping all of you in my prayers.
SweetMalteseAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball

Sue, you are an Earth Angel ... always there to help others.

I'm so sorry for the devastation to your SIL's home. I don't think I even got a chance to post on FB to express how I feel for her and everyone else who is still suffering from the storm. I am so sorry and have doing more praying than usual for everyone. I don't even feel like celebrating the holidays with so many thousands suffering with nothing ... no power, heat, water, and so much more.

I am sending lots of love and hugs your way, Sue.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I can only imagine the heartbreak of seeing all of your possessions out on the street. What wonderful friends and family to be there for your SIL. My prayers are still going for everyone who was affected by this storm. You're a good person, Susan!!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jeanne
Dog's Name: Nellie, Joy, Billye, Glory Girl, Paula, Vinnie

Susan Thank you for sharing.. it helps us who are not close by understand better the reality of it all. I have not watched too much on TV about it being gone so much helping a family member with their serious issues now. Glad you told how it has affected you. HUGS to all your family and those who are close to you who have experienced this tragedy.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle
Dog's Name: Maisie Rose

Oh Sue, no words can really describe it all. Had a sad weekend helping my neice but it was also great to be with and support her. Your sister in law looks like she could be your older sister. I am sure all your help has put some order to all the disorder!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMalteseAngels View Post
I am soooo sorry about all the people who are in the midst of dealing with the aftermath of storm Sandy. I will continuously be keeping all of you in my prayers.
Thanks so much. It's very sobering and overwhelming to see it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball Pie's Mommi View Post
Sue, you are an Earth Angel ... always there to help others.

I'm so sorry for the devastation to your SIL's home. I don't think I even got a chance to post on FB to express how I feel for her and everyone else who is still suffering from the storm. I am so sorry and have doing more praying than usual for everyone. I don't even feel like celebrating the holidays with so many thousands suffering with nothing ... no power, heat, water, and so much more.

I am sending lots of love and hugs your way, Sue.
Thanks so much, Marie. I couldn't even get around until the gas shortage eased a little. Was afraid of going far away and being stranded. There was gas down there though. This was one of the hardest days we're ever faced. Felt so defeated by all the damage. Jim and I ache in places we didn't know we had muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
I can only imagine the heartbreak of seeing all of your possessions out on the street. What wonderful friends and family to be there for your SIL. My prayers are still going for everyone who was affected by this storm. You're a good person, Susan!!!
Debbie - Jeanne, her son and some others helped her haul out some of it last weekend so she arrived to look at it all again I was very touched that my friend Marsha came -- she spent the day before helping her friend in Long Beach, NY get everything out of her basement. And I really appreciated Anne saying that she'd come down. I think she was going to help others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkmalteselover View Post
Susan Thank you for sharing.. it helps us who are not close by understand better the reality of it all. I have not watched too much on TV about it being gone so much helping a family member with their serious issues now. Glad you told how it has affected you. HUGS to all your family and those who are close to you who have experienced this tragedy.
Jeanne - we keep seeing stories about the aftermath every day here but I had the feeling it will fade from the national spotlight. Hoping people still donate and try to help in any way they can. A little girl from Michigan spearheaded getting toys for the kids affected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisie and Me View Post
Oh Sue, no words can really describe it all. Had a sad weekend helping my neice but it was also great to be with and support her. Your sister in law looks like she could be your older sister. I am sure all your help has put some order to all the disorder!
Thanks, Michelle. Feel so bad for your niece. At least she didn't own the house. I think Jeanne's still in shock to tell you the truth but she's muddling through.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Yes it will fade away from the national spotlight when it's no news anymore. So sad. Rebuilding will not be done overnight, it will take months if not years. What is not helping is that it is such a large area that has been affected. Fema, Red Cross, Salvation Army they cannot be everywhere. And they cannot do anything about the electric power. And the power companies are overwhelmed. Like somebody said, I don't remember who, if the lines would be underground there would not be such a huge problem. Coming from Europe, I have never understood why nothing is underground here. Most shocking were the red lights on intersections dangling with the wind. Something that you rarely saw in Europe even in 1978. I showed some pictures to my family when we went back on vacation, they thought I was joking and that it looked like this only in the movies. Told them, no it's real life here. We call that "something temporary that lasts" (litteral translation). So sorry for your SIL Susan. I cannot even imagine loosing your whole house. And there are things you cannot replace.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

It is truly horrific what people went through. I have never seen destruction like this before.this close to home. I have also never seen a situation where lives were totally destroyed and a few blocks away life is near-normal. I saw the damage on staten island, and people nearing the ends of their lives lost everything with no hope of rebuilding. I know this is a non-political forum, and I am no fan of Christy, but one has to give him credit for springing into action. I feel so sad for everyone who lost things in this storm and for those losing their lives. The NYT told the story of a frail old man who decided to stay in his home, then the water rose,, and he drowned. So sorry for you sister in law.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

Sue, I forgot to call you back today!! My day was extremely hectic, one of the most hectic days I've ever lived through!!! My work should be over tomorrow, one more room to clear out...if I can find room to store everything, that is. Poor Linda was watching Mona Lisa for me and she broke two bones in her foot and is in a cast!!! So our sweet little girl came home today and I didn't realize how much I had missed that baby!! She had a birthday on November 6th and I missed it. she's now one!!!!

I don't know where anything I own is!! It is a complete mess around here! But I guess I'll live. Trying to put together three homes is more than I ever thought I could have done. But volunteers finally went to my mom's house today while my renter was there. Thank god that is finally beginning.

I even had to go into my office today to return some of the tenant's security deposits.

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement