SIL is doing okay - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Donna
Dog's Name: Ollie
Default SIL is doing okay

Thank you all so much for your prayers. My SIL finally got in a room early evening after surgery. Today she was up and in a chair for a little bit....and has been sleeping ever since!! I'm pretty sure she will be down in PT tomorrow. Praying her hip replacement will help her pain.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Thanks for the update! I was thinking about her today and wondering how she is doing. I'm glad she's gotten it behind her now. How's her BP today?

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

It's back down to normal, Pam. The doctor was going to just do an epidural(sp?) yesterday, but decided to knock her out completely....good choice!! From what I understand she was given something to calm her down for a bit before putting her under. Just praying she will do what they tell her to do.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

That's good to hear. It was probably the anxiety that made it go so high. I hope she will do as she's told. I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and the PT was the hardest part...and trying to sleep. But I worked through it, although it was very painful, and I'm so glad I did. It's finally almost like new. There were times I wanted to give up and she may too, but try to encourage her if she does want to give up to keep doing what she's supposed to and she'll be so glad she did. Remind her the rehab time is only temporary.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkn8835 View Post
It's back down to normal, Pam. The doctor was going to just do an epidural(sp?) yesterday, but decided to knock her out completely....good choice!! From what I understand she was given something to calm her down for a bit before putting her under. Just praying she will do what they tell her to do.
WHAT ?????????? an epidural for hip replacement ???????????? are they crazy ? what kind did she had ? there are 2 different ways to do them now, one from the front who is supposed to be less invasive and the normal one. I had mine done in 2006 and my orthopedic surgeon (Dr Robert Koshman in Houston) did it the old fashion way because he wanted to "see what he is doing". I don't remember having pain after surgery, I had an ice machine on my hip to keep it from swelling. They started me walking the day after surgery. I thought they were nuts. They prescribed pain medicine when I went home but I never took it.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

So glad she was able to get the surgery. My neighbor had two done at one time and she is doing great and my two friends both had surgery 3 weeks ago and are doing really well with PT. Tell her to hang in there.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
That's good to hear. It was probably the anxiety that made it go so high. I hope she will do as she's told. I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and the PT was the hardest part...and trying to sleep. But I worked through it, although it was very painful, and I'm so glad I did. It's finally almost like new. There were times I wanted to give up and she may too, but try to encourage her if she does want to give up to keep doing what she's supposed to and she'll be so glad she did. Remind her the rehab time is only temporary.
Doing the exercises is very important. She will be up and running a lot faster if she sticks to them. And she has to do them EVERY DAY at home, not only when going to the physical therapy.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

She ended up being put totally under which I thought was much better. Could not imagine being awake while someone was replacing my hip!! I'll continue updates here. Hopefully tomorrow she'll start PT!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
So glad she was able to get the surgery. My neighbor had two done at one time and she is doing great and my two friends both had surgery 3 weeks ago and are doing really well with PT. Tell her to hang in there.
Two at one time, Wow, I don't know. Hard part for me was the difficulty to turn around in bed to lay on my good side. After a while you get tired to lay on your back. Now with both hips done you are stuck laying on your back for quite a while.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

I'm so glad she is resting comfortably. Lifting up a healing prayer.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement