Where to Print Memorial Program? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)
Question Where to Print Memorial Program?

My husband's grandmother passed away earlier this week and I am in charge of creating a program for her memorial service tomorrow (Saturday). Unfortunately, with this type of thing, everything has to be done so quickly and unexpectedly so as a huge planner I am a bit lost on what to do.

I have Microsoft Publisher and originally planned to make up a program using that and then printing them at Kinko's. Then, I wondered if there was an option to do a same-day print like with photo cards, etc somewhere that might be made out of cardstock (doesn't have to fold like a greeting card). I am not really finding much info anywhere, though.

I would really like to make a nice program for her, and would be really happy if I could even do color...but I'm not sure if it's in our budget. I don't even know what our budget is for this because I have no idea how much it costs even to do a simple black/white program at Kinkos. I probably need about 50-75 programs maybe.

My in-laws have a nice photo printer but they say it is an ink hog and would be cheaper and easier to print it somewhere else and pay. And, honestly, I don't want to be hanging around their house all day printing them because they make it really hard to just get the job done by wanting to chat the whole time. Our printer is poor quality.

I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions. My husband and I are so busy with taking care of a lot of these things without much help from other family so I need to get started on it ASAP! Thank you so much!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

If you save it as an image file, you might be able to upload it to Snapfish or the like and print it at a retail outlet like Walmart. I'm not sure which retailer supports which online vendor but I think Walgreen's has that type of service on their own site.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
My husband's grandmother passed away earlier this week and I am in charge of creating a program for her memorial service tomorrow (Saturday). Unfortunately, with this type of thing, everything has to be done so quickly and unexpectedly so as a huge planner I am a bit lost on what to do.

I have Microsoft Publisher and originally planned to make up a program using that and then printing them at Kinko's. Then, I wondered if there was an option to do a same-day print like with photo cards, etc somewhere that might be made out of cardstock (doesn't have to fold like a greeting card). I am not really finding much info anywhere, though.

I would really like to make a nice program for her, and would be really happy if I could even do color...but I'm not sure if it's in our budget. I don't even know what our budget is for this because I have no idea how much it costs even to do a simple black/white program at Kinkos. I probably need about 50-75 programs maybe.

My in-laws have a nice photo printer but they say it is an ink hog and would be cheaper and easier to print it somewhere else and pay. And, honestly, I don't want to be hanging around their house all day printing them because they make it really hard to just get the job done by wanting to chat the whole time. Our printer is poor quality.

I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions. My husband and I are so busy with taking care of a lot of these things without much help from other family so I need to get started on it ASAP! Thank you so much!
I don't really know what you mean by a "program". Don't take this by being insensitive. But if no other family members are willing to help it is that they don't care. So why do YOU care ? I am sure your husband's grand mother would not want you to go through all that stress doing this by yourself. And she certainly would not mind of the quality of the pictures. Put some pictures up on a white board on an easel and next to it her favored flowers.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

When my brother passed away, it was offered by the funeral home.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

Lisa -- first -- I'm soooooooo sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and prayers for the family.

It may be too late, but I do think that you can upload to Kinkos or Alphagraphics or a Staples, OfficeMax, etc.

My stepdaughter did a lovely program for her father's funeral. I think it may have meant more to her than to those attending, but it did help her with her grief.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

I know if you go on Walgreens.com you can do all sorts of things in color on card stock or photo paper, it's worth looking into. I find them fairly priced and you can usually pick them up pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

Thank you all.

I just got back from Kinkos and they came out very nice. I purchased a parchment style cardstock and printed on both sides (they are flat half sheets, not a folded program). I just printed in black and white to save on costs, but the front has "In loving memory of", her photo and her birth & passing dates, and the back has all of the details of the structured service. I am very pleased with how it turned out and I know my mother-in-law will love them.

My mother-in-law put me in charge of the program. It was important to her to have one for her mom so I was happy to help. My husband and I have done most of the work on everything to help make it easier for my in-laws so they can focus more on grieving and celebrating her life. I think it's the right thing to do. It is hard work getting all of the details ironed out in such a short time and it shouldn't be the focus I don't think. We are also much more tech-savvy so can finish these tasks more efficiently.

The funeral home offered to do the programs & a slideshow, but the cost was $900 for just that and my husband's grandfather only has $1,000 in his name (due to Medicaid/Medicare paying for his assisted living room) and I guess my in-laws didn't want to have to pay for that out of their own pocket. They are paying for a small amount of flowers I believe.

Thank you all for the suggestions!