Fragrance and chemical sensitivities...let's talk - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
I can't stand scented products of any type!!! Since I have horrible allergies, I have a negative association with anything with a scent (except food!). I buy unscented soap, shampoo (Nature's Miracle for Zooey), laundry detergent, and never use candle or sprays or anything. Many women with endometriosis have compromised immune systems that can't handle the toxin overload, as Tori mentioned about so many conditions. I've been working on eating a diet to support my immune system in hopes that my allergies will improve, but so far, no improvement
I'm so sorry. It irritates me that there are so many products out there that make us sick for no good reason. I think that some of us are more sensitive than others, but that those who don't actually feel it are still being harmed by all these senseless chemicals. To what end? To sell stuff....often times completely useless stuff. I'm shaking my head in despair, but there is not an emoticon for that.
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
vjw
Maltese Guru

Would those of you with sensitivities mind sharing the names of some of the fragrance free products you use? I have asthma and lung scarring and can't tolerate any scent at all, so even the aromatherapy and natural products aggravate the asthma.
vjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjw View Post
Would those of you with sensitivities mind sharing the names of some of the fragrance free products you use? I have asthma and lung scarring and can't tolerate any scent at all, so even the aromatherapy and natural products aggravate the asthma.
Be wary of even aromatherapy products and natural products. Most of them still use synthetic scents. Some blend essential oils with synthetic ones. If you like a particular scent, buy the pure essential oil and put it in a diffuser. A lot safer that way. And when they write "Fragrance" in the ingredients list, run from it, it means that whatever scent they put in the product is synthetic.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Becky
Send a message via Yahoo to beckinwolf

Quote:
Since I can't use scented lotions, and even most unscented lotions have questionable ingredients, I just use unscented raw Shea butter as a moisturizer. The brand I'm using now is called "Inesscents" They do sell some with fragrance added, but also sell unscented. It's mixed with jojoba oil and that's it. Both are organic. Other than Shea butter, I also have used coconut oil and almond oil. Almond oil has almost no natural scent at all, and of course coconut oil smells like coconuts.

Dr. Bronner sells a bunch of unscented stuff with his "Baby Mild" line. Hand soap, liquid soap, bar soap, shaving gel, and body balm. Here's a link.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Retail Store: Baby & Sensitive Skin Care

For Shampoo and Conditioner, they are super hard to find unscented, but I've found a few here and there. The brand Desert Essence makes an unscented. I've used their lemon and coconut scents before and they don't bother me at all, but I can't use regular stuff at all or it bugs me. No Suave or Dove for me.

Hope that helps.

beckinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
vjw
Maltese Guru

Thanks Becky!
vjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jeanne
Dog's Name: Nellie, Joy, Billye, Glory Girl, Paula, Vinnie

Just want to say I am so glad this thread was started.. those of us who do not have this issue need to be much more aware of how all our perfumes, lotions, candles etc. affect those around us.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Becky
Send a message via Yahoo to beckinwolf

I used to work with a lady who used those stupid Glade Plug-ins. I hated those things so much. I'd get a headache whenever she got a new one. I remember one time she was on vacation, I actually unplugged it and put it outside while she was gone. She quit years ago, but I still remember her darn plug-ins.

beckinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey (L.A. North Central Animal Shelter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
I'm so sorry. It irritates me that there are so many products out there that make us sick for no good reason. I think that some of us are more sensitive than others, but that those who don't actually feel it are still being harmed by all these senseless chemicals. To what end? To sell stuff....often times completely useless stuff. I'm shaking my head in despair, but there is not an emoticon for that.
Thank you, Sylvia. I just don't understand why our world has to be so full of chemicals...

Quote:
Laundry--All Free and Clear

Dryer sheets--any unscented

Lotion--Cetaphil

Soap--Dove Unscented

Face wash--CVS brand version of Olay regenerist

Moisturizer--the real Olay Regenerist

Make-up--Laura Mercier, Miracle Skin

Lipstick--Burt's Bees

Deodorant--Secret Unscented

I'll try to think of any more products I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkmalteselover View Post
Just want to say I am so glad this thread was started.. those of us who do not have this issue need to be much more aware of how all our perfumes, lotions, candles etc. affect those around us.
Thank you! I have friends and family who constantly "forget" that I'm allergic to perfume, most animals, etc. They just don't care. I appreciate people who do care

Elisabeth & Zooey
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

All I can say is you would not be happy campers in my house I love fragrance!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I was just having a conversation with DH about how perfumes affect our dogs. It started because MiMi was sniffing around an unopened, vacuum packed bag of dog food, and we remarked on her incredible sense of smell. Because dogs rely on their sense of smell more than vision, I have always held that it is a bad thing to use strong fragrances that they can't escape.
For those who believe that chemical fragrances are harmless, please read the two articles I am going to post. Then, please consider how this affects your babies.

HowStuffWorks "Are air fresheners bad for your health?"

The Straight Dope: Do air fresheners work by numbing out your nose?

As a person who has birds, I know not to use these things because they will kill birds, I figure if they KILL birds, they can't be okay for mammals either.
Advertisement