Machine Embroidery ? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)
Question Machine Embroidery ?

I have been considering purchasing a sewing/embroidering machine and wondering if any of you crafty folks have one. If I get one, I'll go with the Brother (under $400). Is it very hard to learn to monogram...I'm not a "go to a class kind of girl" ? It seems a little overwhelming in my head, but maybe I'm over complicating things? I'd love to make some gifts for folks and be able to personalize it with names, initials etc. I'm just wondering if the cost outweighs the benefit and the difficulty of use I guess.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I wanted one for years but couldn't justify the cost. But I finally got one a couple of years ago and love it! I could kick myself now for not getting one when my kids were little. I do some appliqués but mainly do monograms since I don't have any little ones now to make things for.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marti
Dog's Name: Tanner, Frankie, Jamie, Kelsey

I got my first embroidery machine 4 years from Pat, (Sassy's Mommy) and absolutely fell in love with it. The machine was a Husq/Viking Rose, a great machine that I would still be using if only I didn't see the new machines with all the whiz bangs on 'em. Fortunately I had Pat to teach me how to use the machine, (think of it as a computer with new commands you have to learn), & she was a great & patient teacher! Learning to do the actual embroidery is not hard, you just have to start doing it. The down side is that it's very addictive. Once you start buying designs, they start sending you notices of sales and who can pass up a good sale?! Then there's the fabric stores you'll be on a first-name basis with. OH & let's not forget about the threads you'll have to buy (All Threads is a great website). Let's face it, I'm hooked!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm so glad to hear that you guys are getting so much use out of your purchases. It's a costly hobby and I need to make sure I'm not going to stick it in a closet. I really want a new hobby since all of this painting is wearing on my lungs a bit . Is it necessary to get the larger hoop size or is the 4 x whatever sufficient for most basic monograms etc? I'm thinking towels, puppy items (gotta spoil my Malt buddies!) and linens.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Bridget, I think that is a great idea. I don't have one but I too have been thinking about getting into something like sewing and making stuff. I wouldn't know where to begin since I have never done it. I look at all the nice things others here make and think to myself that I could do that too. I say go for it....the painting stuff you do is fantastic so I am sure this would be too.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Bridget, in my experience with sewing machines (I have 5! But no embroidery machine), you get what you pay for. $400 seems very cheap for an embroidery machine? I'm used to seeing them for over $1000. But I'm not up on it. But I would really suggest to you to save your money and really push your budget to get a nice one. Because I think once you do learn how to use it, you'll want to do some neat things and the nicer machines will do that. I've never ever heard of anyone buying an expensive machine and a year later going, "I sure wish I'd gotten the cheaper one", but almost always the opposite! I'd be concerned that an inexpensive machine won't do towels, or maybe not a big enough monogram, limited fonts options, or maybe won't do pictures, stuff like that. DEFINITELY do your homework. I know Baby Lock and Husqvarna make really nice ones and they're all computerized and pretty easy to use I think. I'd suggest going to Joanns (if there's one near you) or a sewing machine store with people who really know how to use the machines, and have someone show you the machines and the options, how they work, etc. So you can see the difference in the levels/prices. Brother is an ok brand, but it's kind of bottom of the line. The nice thing about embroidery is that you can easily make a little extra money doing it. I have a neighbor who has a machine and when I need stuff monogrammed for my business I pay her to do it. You won't make a ton, but you could definitely make enough to pay for all your supplies so when you do it for gifts it doesn't cost you extra. You know what I mean? I think it's a great hobby! Once you get an idea of what you want, you could always look into getting a used one too. Good luck!!
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Judy
Dog's Name: Tater tot

I started with the Brother Emboidery machine (4x4) and loved it. It was easy to follow the directions. Then I graduated up to the Babylock Elure which is a sewing machine and embroidery machine and will embroider (5 x 7). I have two adult daughters and three granddaughters so I invested in the BIG Brother Machine that will do diaper bags, etc...It gets a workout from my grown daughters for gifts. Good luck with whatever you choose, you will love it!
hempsteadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks you guys! I wish I were better at saving, but saving up for a $1000 machine just isn't going to happen. I'm glad to hear that the 4x4 option works okay. I'll keep giving it some thought. I am creative and without an outlet for that creativity....I'm dangerous LOL!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I guess it depends on how much you think you will use it?

I have 2 sewing machines... both hand me downs from my mother and grandmother. I'd love a newer up to date machine that does everything! I quilt... would love a better sewing machine for quilting and embroidery!

I know I'd use it... My machine stays out on my table all the time. I sew almost every day except right now when I"m knitting for Christmas.

So ask yourself and be honest.... will you use it?

If you will... have fun!!!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi Tori, that is very much the question that I am struggling with. Will I use it? I can see me using it for holidays and gift giving, but aside from that. I'm thinking probably not....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement