What should I do? Somebody's dog is loose... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default What should I do? Somebody's dog is loose...

A little Scottish Terrier just showed up at my door. I went out and tried to get him to come in until I can put up a sign in our neighborhood or take him to the vet to see if he has a microchip, but he's a bit skiddish. He will come up and sniff me if I'm still. But if I make the slightest movement, he runs backward. I'm sure someone's really missing him. He looks like he's been groomed and is wearing a collar, but I don't see any tags. I put some food out in case he's hungry. I don't know if I should keep trying to get him or hope that he returns to his home on his own. I'm also not sure if I want him in my house because I don't know if he's up to date on his vaccines and there was a recent email sent out by the HOA that a fox has been seen lately walking up and down the street, seeming unafraid. I worry it might be rabid. If so, what if it has bitten this dog? Plus, he's frequently marking his territory on my deck and I don't want that in my house! What should I do?

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

if he comes to you catch him and read is collar. I made the mistake of taking in a lost dog who gave mine very serious diarrhea. So, I won't bring a lost dog into my house again. It is so hard to know what to do. I have seen people sweep up dogs who were just allowed to take a trip in the neighborhood. It is really hard to know what to do, but I say, first protect your own.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

I wouldn't bring him into your house unless it is really cold at night. Try baiting him with something yummy so you can grab his collar to hold onto him. Maybe a phone number is embroidered on his collar. If not, take him to the vet and then ask them what you should do with him. I would hate for him to go to the shelter because they put dogs down so fast there. He must just be lost. I would make a post in the Pets section and Lost & Found section of Craigslist.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

If there is a fox around, I would hate for him to be prey besides being run over. Maybe you can lure him with treats. Take a leash that you have to get him. If you can, try to bring him somewhere in your house or maybe garage away from your dog and try the vets about a microchip and even tonight look at Craigslist to see if anyone posted him missing. At least you could give them a clue where he's been.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

He never would let me touch him last night and ran off. I stayed up as long as I could and was going to put him in the garage if I could lure him in there. This morning, he was back. I'm about to get dressed and go put up signs with my phone number.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Pam-I would knock on some doors and see if someone knows the dog. I hope you can help reunite this baby with his family. Poor thing maybe he knows there are dogs at your house so he feels safe coming there. Poor thing lost in the cold. Sue has many good suggestions I will remember if ever this happens to me.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie
Dog's Name: Harry, Teddy, Ben, Sprite, and Max

Dogs tend to go where they see/smell other dogs. We've had many lost dogs show up at our door over the years (one never left lol). Sue's right... lure him into your garage with food, I'm sure that he's hungry if he's been out all night. And, when you can, put him on a leash and take him for a walk around the neighborhood and ask if anyone knows him. I hate to hear about lost dogs and I'm glad that you're trying to help him.

Let us know what happens.
Hugs.
Debbie
harrysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle Robison
Dog's Name: Amber, Emily,Lil Bit, Rylee, Sasha and a cat named Harry

If you can't catch him and are worried for disease, you might consider calling the dog warden or an animal shelter. Post piccies arouns th eneighbourhood and at some local businesses too...

Check to see policies in local shelters to see if they're no kill.. I know it sounds mean but not all dog wardens are the enemy and sometimes being in the shelter or a dog pound is better than being on the streets. Our shelter works with the dog pound to help lost animals...

Mommy my bows are too tight...
When bad grooming happens to good Malts...

Jewellery, Doggie Goodies, Handmade tiles,cool flying pictures

http://www.picturetrail.com/michellerobison

Vote for Southern Comfort Maltese Rescue , Chattanooga, TN

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...hallenge.faces
michellerobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm going to see if I can post a pic here I just took with my phone. Seeing him in daylight, he looks like a schnauzer. I made signs my hubby is putting up. I'm afraid to call our warden. They do kill if not claimed in 3 days. What should I do?  Somebody's dog is loose...-imageuploadedbypg-free1354376602.147732.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I've also posted on Facebook and notified a pet patrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement