City Limit - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default City Limit

Does your city have a pet limit that they enforce? We have a limit to 3 dogs and cats. I do not mind it but at times I just wish that they would drop it. It is not fair that I am responsible for my pets and can handle more while others can not handle even one. It should be a one on one decision I feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

As long as people are taking good care of them, know their own limits, and don't let them run free outside or cause a barking nuisance, I don't feel it's the city's business. JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Jops,Sammie,Frankie,LBB,Henry,Daisy,Lulu

Of course there are limits. I am registered with my city as a foster home. I pay $250 a year for that, along with proof I am with a rescue(s) organization. I would hate to think my neighbors could "run a muck" with hoarding dogs.

A line must be drawn, a law in place. This is how we go after animal hoarders, and BYB's. It is to protect the animals.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Let me add to what I said earlier. I don't think people should be allowed to be hoarders either. I just think if you have the space, finances to take care of them, enough time to spend with them, keep the place clean, etc, you should be allowed more than 3 if you want them and can provide all I just stated. There are some places not big enough for 1 dog, then there are places big enough for lots. So, I think it is an individual thing. But I do understand and abide by laws. I have never heard of us having one of those and we aren't required to register pets.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Maltmom View Post
Of course there are limits. I am registered with my city as a foster home. I pay $250 a year for that, along with proof I am with a rescue(s) organization. I would hate to think my neighbors could "run a muck" with hoarding dogs.

A line must be drawn, a law in place. This is how we go after animal hoarders, and BYB's. It is to protect the animals.
I couldn't agree more!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Yes, our city has a 3 dog limit. The general manager of the shelter system wanted to up it to 5 so "more dogs could be adopted." No, that's not what would happen...more people would have backyard-bred pets (no guarantee it would save more dogs as she stated it would). I'm sorry, but I don't think most people can handle more than 3 pet dogs. There are exceptions, but I do see the value of the 3-pet limit law.
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

We have a 5 pet limit in Spokane, Washington. I think 5 is too high, 3 is more reasonable. There are different allowances for fostering animals I believe, similar to what Deb deals with, but I can't say that for certain.

When I was going to college I worked as a dog bather for a grooming salon and the owner fostered dogs at her house -- eventually the shelter had to revoke her ability to foster because she was basically hoarding animals (I believe she just wanted to save them all) and couldn't properly care for them all. One of the employees told me a few years before I started working there she had like 30 cats in the basement of the grooming salon that she was "fostering"! They were also removed by animal welfare services.

I know a few members have more than 3 dogs here on SM, and I know they take amazing care of all of their pets...but I just cannot grasp that the majority of pet owners can handle more than 3 animals. There is just no way. So, while it does upset some folks that they can only have X-amount of pets, it is for the best.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oh no, I wasn't meaning I think it's ok for 30 pets or anything like that. I don't see how anyone could have that many in their house all the time. I was thinking about friends who have 3 dogs and 2 cats and another friend with 3 Corgies and a cat. Their pets are very well cared for and their houses stay clean. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I wouldn't want more than that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement