Asking for help to save the Christmas tree - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Default Asking for help to save the Christmas tree

Does anyone know how to keep cats out of the tree? I got so tired last year of getting them out of it, cleaning up broken ornaments they knocked down, fluffing back up the branches, etc. I did end up trying moth balls but that didn't work. It only made it stink on that room. The tree is in the living room and I can keep them out most of the time by shutting doors to the foyer and dining room, but when someone needs to go upstairs, they dart right through and head straight up the tree. I used to always put a real tree up in the den but didn't last year because of the cats. I'd like to have one in that room this year. If we only have the one in the living room but keep it closed off, it's like not even having one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

I have no idea, but surely someone on SM knows. BUMP to keep the thread going so you can get your answers :-)

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Aww... I don't know... Google maybe? LOL

Our cats used to hang out in the tree.

We didn't really have many breakable ornaments tho... a lot of handmade ones.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Jasper;Dusty&Ozzy; Alvin,Winston&Angel waiting at the Bridge

Last year was our first ever Christmas with a cat. We had no idea what to do about Reesey and the tree. My DH found a product called Ssscat and it is wonderful. You can look up videos on YouTube of Ssscat in action, but be prepared to pee your pants laughing.

We put the Sssscat under the tree, and after being scatted a couple of times Reesey walked an arc around the tree. We actually ended up turning it off (because it scatted my youngest son every time he walked by, just him though, none of the rest of us!) and leaving the canister sitting there and Reesey still stayed away.

It works, and it is not because our cat is smart, he is very very stooooopid.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We too have two Cats and they do not have access to our Tree. We keep it in our three season enclosure and close the screen door. They will have the run of that room until next Sunday and then it will be off limits to them until after New Years. However, we did have a beautiful Dickens Village that I put up and they loved lying in the fluffy snow. Well, that whole thing had to come down and now that Village is split up. That Scatt thing sounds like it might be a good idea for you to try since someone else recommended it. Worth a try. Might use that next year for our Village.
Snuggle's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Thank you so much, Laura! I just looked it up and it sounds like it may work really well. I'm going to PetSmart and see if they have some in stock.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

The first few years of having 2 cats I kinda got a kick out of watching their fun and seeing a little face in the branches.....I didn't use any of my breakable ornaments at the bottom of the tree or others I didn't want ruined. I also tied the tree onto the wall. They didn't do much damage but it was a little ratty at times. After the first few years they grew out of climbing and just liked laying under it. Although my cat does like chewing the branches even before its out of the box. I didn't have any way to keep them from the tree so I just had to choose to put up with them or not put up the tree. Wish I had known about different products to use though, I might have tried them.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

My daughter used the Scccatcat also, for her two cats, it did work!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Default Cats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila'sMommy View Post
Does anyone know how to keep cats out of the tree? I got so tired last year of getting them out of it, cleaning up broken ornaments they knocked down, fluffing back up the branches, etc. I did end up trying moth balls but that didn't work. It only made it stink on that room. The tree is in the living room and I can keep them out most of the time by shutting doors to the foyer and dining room, but when someone needs to go upstairs, they dart right through and head straight up the tree. I used to always put a real tree up in the den but didn't last year because of the cats. I'd like to have one in that room this year. If we only have the one in the living room but keep it closed off, it's like not even having one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
We have our Christmas Tree in the living room. We have 5 cats--all strays--and I have found the only way to keep them out of the tree is a spray bottle filled with water. They hate water so just a few squirts in or near the face make them walk a wide circle around the tree skirt. We adopted a new one this year and this is his 1st tree. He is learning the wet way to steer clear!!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barb
Dog's Name: Spookie

Try trains!!

Think before you pink
Do you know how the money is spent?
spookiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement