Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

An update on our home.

2K views 33 replies 31 participants last post by  kathym 
#1 ·
Thought I'd let you know how we're coming along after the flood.

The water came into our home on October 29th, I just barely got out...the water was so deep in the street that I didn't think my car would make it! And there was wood and all kinds of stuff floating in the street...I made it through and all the engine lights were on - on the dashboard!

Well we were allowed back to our homes maybe four or five days after that. We had about 30 inches in Stan's man-cave - where my washer and dryer and a lot of dog stuff was stored.

Right before we left, we put the furniture on top of the coffee table and end tables - but they were't quite high enough...darn!
Furniture Room Living room Property Couch

The main level had only about a foot of water in it, but there was mud and stinky slime everythere - yuk!

We moved back in and got a generator to for electric and a kerosene heater for heat. It was a little dirty - I washed the floor several times but never did get all the mud out. But it was kind of cozy living in the two rooms. But no hot water was the hardest thing to deal with at that point.

Room Property Building Furniture Ceiling

then the demolition began! ...and still no hot water....:w00t:...life was getting harder at this point...we were living upstairs in the bedroom for the most part, because we finally got electric!!

The man-cave was bare
Room Property Living room House Furniture

Goodbye hardwood floors :blink:
Floor Wood flooring Hardwood Flooring Wood

Then the rebuild began. By this time we had heat and hot water:chili: and new gas fireplace logs!!

The bathroom has floor to ceiling tiles - it's beautiful!
Wood stain Room Floor Hardwood Wood

So here we are...so close to the end!!! :chili::aktion033: Our new washer and dryer were installed today!! OMG, I'll be doing wash every day for the next month!! And my new utility sink was also installed today :chili: I gave two dogs a bath already, but I need to buy some more towels...:unsure:..most of my dog washing towels were tossed out by volunteers - well they were all full of mud. The kitchen cabinets are coming on Wednesday, guess it'll take a few days to install them and the appliances are being delivered on Saturday!!!! :aktion033: I can't wait!!!! And I'm just waiting for my general contractor to give me the go-ahead to have the new furniture delivered!!! I can't wait!!!!! :aktion033:

This has been the longest two months I have ever lived through!! :w00t: ....and the most expensive too!!!

The back deck is another story, flood insurance doesn't pay for anything outside and I can't afford to replace it. My general contractor says he'll try to straighten it out, if so....GREAT! if not....not sure what'll I'll do...:unsure::blink:

Anyway I will post pictures of our finished home...as soon as it's done! And did I mention...I can't wait!!!!

Life is good!:thumbsup:

See less See more
#7 ·
As we used to say in the 60's (or was it the 70's) You've Come a Long Way, Baby. :chili::HistericalSmiley: (of course I think that referred to a women's cigarette :w00t::yucky:) I know it must have felt like an eternity but you're almost there. I can't wait to see all the after pictures. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Pat, I still shiver to think you were not going to leave. Living in Florida and close to the coast, I know many people who decided not to evacuate during a hurricane, only to wish they had. Thank God you and your loves got out in time. I'm so happy you'll have a perfect "new" home soon! You inspire me with your great attitude and sunny outlook. Even when your world was water logged...

#19 ·
Well, this may sound a little strange but "it could not have happened to a nicer person!" :HistericalSmiley:
I am SO happy you have come so far and SO fast!
Some of the best things in life are not planned. . . and maybe this is one of yours.
Like Robin said---we are so glad you got out when you did. I hope things are moving along as well for your dear dad. The pups have weathered it all so well and you continue to be a beacon of hope & joy for the rest of us.
Yep, life is good.:wub:

#23 ·
Pat, I'm so glad the end is in sight. What a terribly difficult experience to go through. I cannot begin to imaging the amount of work it has taken to get things back into shape, and is still ahead. Hopefully you can get the deck taken care of too! Sending hugs your way-- and please let us know what else your dogs might need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.