What do you sew? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Celeta that tree skirt is beautiful! I have the shower curtain that looks like this (multi-colored though) and I love it. Yep, the ruffler foot is definetly on my short list .

Hi Jackie, I'd originally purchased the embroidery/sewing machine by Brother and took it back. I decided to opt for the cheaper one until I can prove to myself that I'll stick with it for a few months. My 40th Birthday is in June, so I may be begging for an embroidery machine then .

Ashley, I am a perfectionist too, so I totally get it. Actually I'm a perfectionist with OCD....how's that for mental overload lol! I constantly find fault with my own work, but seem to love everyone elses. I redo furniture and the folks who buy it love it. I get calls from clients all the time who are really happy about their items. I can't ever seem to keep one of my pieces for myself though, because I notice every little thing about it. This is something I have really been working on and one of the main reasons I decided to sew. I need to lighten up on myself .

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

When you're starting out, remember that practice makes you better.

I hadn't really sewn in like forever (learned in jr. hs) but I did want to make some pillows and things for my house when I moved to New Mexico so I got out the sewing machine and went to town.

Then, once I started ordering clothes for Lacie (Tilly and Secret weren't here yet) and saw the prices, I knew that I needed to learn to make clothes for her myself. I used one of her dresses that I had purchased as the pattern and copied it onto newspaper. I will admit that the first dress I made for her was very cute -- BUT -- I put the velcor on wrong so that both pieces were on the outside. That mis-adventure made me remember to slow down and look at what I was doing.

There are things I've made that I love and things I've thrown out -- but if I'm using EXPENSIVE fabric I really take my time to get everything PERFECT.

I loved to sew when I was in HS and made a lot of dresses for myself - and now I'm once again enjoying this hobby. I had forgotten how much fun it was to be so CREATIVE.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I make almost all of Gus and Grace's clothes.... One bonus of a girl is you get to make DRESSSES!!! LOL... I was so thrilled

Right now I'm working on finished my nephew's "big boy" quilt... Monkeys and Elephants... It's crunch time! Christmas is next week!

I do mainly dog clothes and quilts. I have to start my youngest nephew's quilt, and also finish the two family quilts I have for them (wall - decorative).... The problem is my sister keeps having baby after baby LOL So I never catch up

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Oh my gosh, I am feeling inferior. I don't even sew buttons back on. I let the cleaners do that!

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacie's Mom View Post
When you're starting out, remember that practice makes you better.

I hadn't really sewn in like forever (learned in jr. hs) but I did want to make some pillows and things for my house when I moved to New Mexico so I got out the sewing machine and went to town.

Then, once I started ordering clothes for Lacie (Tilly and Secret weren't here yet) and saw the prices, I knew that I needed to learn to make clothes for her myself. I used one of her dresses that I had purchased as the pattern and copied it onto newspaper. I will admit that the first dress I made for her was very cute -- BUT -- I put the velcor on wrong so that both pieces were on the outside. That mis-adventure made me remember to slow down and look at what I was doing.

There are things I've made that I love and things I've thrown out -- but if I'm using EXPENSIVE fabric I really take my time to get everything PERFECT.

I loved to sew when I was in HS and made a lot of dresses for myself - and now I'm once again enjoying this hobby. I had forgotten how much fun it was to be so CREATIVE.
Lynn is absolutely right, you learn with practice, and you learn even more when you screw up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
Oh my gosh, I am feeling inferior. I don't even sew buttons back on. I let the cleaners do that!
Oh, Pam if you only knew. I have a drapery workroom in my house, and my husband has to take his pants to the cleaners if he wants them hemmed or a button sewn on. He had three pairs of pants hanging in my workroom for over a year before he got fed up and took them to the cleaners.

StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement