Another Mother needing prayers - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laurie
Dog's Name: My Triple Threat - Lily, Addie, Jackson, Luci Mae at the bridge

Great news about surgery. Prayers for your entire family.
ladodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

That's good news. When you said that surgery cannot be done before after January 1st, I checked where you are located. Then, I thought this is not Canada or England, where every body here thinks there are waiting lines. So after all there is a misconception here that you are going to be taken care off right away. Besides that, this is a problem with old people. When they fall down they easily break something. Another problem is dementia. My mom had dementia and she fell many times. Apparently she had good bones because she never broke anything. She fell because she was barely eating because being alone, due to dementia, maybe she forgot to eat. After one more fall, we had her put in a nursing home. There was no way she could still live on her own. It might be time for you to consider this for your mother. I know it is not an easy choice and she won't like it and try to fight you. Maybe a caregiver will work for some time. All depends on how far she is with the dementia. You cannot be around some one 24 hours every second to watch them. Dementia is a kind of Alzheimer. It will come a time when she will wander out and not remember how to get back. A care taker might not want to continue having the responsibility.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Great news, Robin. So glad your mom's getting the surgery sooner, not later. Really that was way too long for her to be in that condition. I had to get in a caregiver at one point for my mom too after bypass surgery. She never wanted one, hated the thought of it and then when she had her, she said she was a Godsend. She was with her up to the last night (as here health went up and down we had her less or more) and adored my mom. Sending lots of prayers your way.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Glad the surgery will take place soon. Praying that all goes well!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Zooey (L.A. North Central Animal Shelter)

Oh, what a relief, Robin! I hope and pray everything goes smoothly as possible with her surgery tomorrow.

Hugs,

Elisabeth & Zooey
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Robin
Dog's Name: Phoebe Trixibell (adopted) and Griffin (Bonnie's Angel)

UPDATE: Surgery went very well. The Dr. opted to repair instead of replace. Recovery will be easier on her and at her age, the benefits she would have gained with the replacement were just not worth it. What threw us for a loop though is that now she won't start rehab for around 3 weeks, after she has healed. We are faced now with finding a care giver. She will be released either the 24th or on Christmas day.

On another note, last night was one of the worst nights I've experienced in a very long time. The pain meds, which should have made her groggy, had the adverse effect. I don't remember this happening the first day. She thought she was in her own home, kept trying to get out of bed, went on and on about wanting to get up and go to the living room. The nurse and I had to walk her down the hall to prove she was in the hospital. We saw three or four people in the hallway and when we got back to her room, she wanted to know why those people were in her house. I didn't sleep at all and have been awake since before 5:00 a.m. on Friday morning. It is now 4:00 pm on Saturday and I cannot make myself wind down. In a little while, I'm going to pour a glass of wine and cuddle up with my babies. I think that might do the trick. I won't go back to the hospital until tomorrow.

Thanks again for your prayers.

I would hate to live in a world without dogs, glass, or wine...
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
UPDATE: Surgery went very well. The Dr. opted to repair instead of replace. Recovery will be easier on her and at her age, the benefits she would have gained with the replacement were just not worth it. What threw us for a loop though is that now she won't start rehab for around 3 weeks, after she has healed. We are faced now with finding a care giver. She will be released either the 24th or on Christmas day.

On another note, last night was one of the worst nights I've experienced in a very long time. The pain meds, which should have made her groggy, had the adverse effect. I don't remember this happening the first day. She thought she was in her own home, kept trying to get out of bed, went on and on about wanting to get up and go to the living room. The nurse and I had to walk her down the hall to prove she was in the hospital. We saw three or four people in the hallway and when we got back to her room, she wanted to know why those people were in her house. I didn't sleep at all and have been awake since before 5:00 a.m. on Friday morning. It is now 4:00 pm on Saturday and I cannot make myself wind down. In a little while, I'm going to pour a glass of wine and cuddle up with my babies. I think that might do the trick. I won't go back to the hospital until tomorrow.

Thanks again for your prayers.
That's the dementia acting. Anesthesia makes it worse.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Robin,
Just seeing this. We went through something like this with my Mother. Praying your dear Mom is home soon and on the mend. It's very tough the first time they get hurt. So glad the surgery went well. Hopefully she will adjust quickly when she gets back home. God bless.
xxxx

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Mateo and Mia

Your dear Mother and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending you hugs!!!

Mateo & Mia
joyomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

I'm glad things went well with the surgery and she didn't have to wait any longer. Wishing you all the best as your mother recovers.