Opinions on kitchen countertops please - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

I have granite in my kitchen and I love it. The color I have is called "Desert Gold" and it has cream, golden-terra cotta tones, with some black and grey veining and some dark burgundy spots. I love it. The base color is lighter so I haven't had a problem with it showing water spots. Also, I have the bullnose edges so I haven't had a problem with any chipping myself.
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
http://www.affordablestoneproducts.c...stallation.jpg
I love this, I want a big work station like this !
Beautiful kitchen. And I love the color of that granite too. I would not go with a dark color because of the dust showing. I would be dusting all the time here.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

Any darker granite will show dust but it wouldn't really be an issue would it? I mean...most people wipe off their counters regularly! I also have laminate counters in a faux granite design and the pattern I chose is very spotted and makes it hard to see whether it is dirty or not! So, I have to crouch down and look at the counter from the side to see if there are crumbs on it...I wish my counters would show crumbs and dust! I get so mad when I set something on the counter and hear that gritty sound from crumbs or coffee grounds that my husband didnt see and wipe up! LOL

I don't think water spots should be an issue if you properly seal it every 6-12 months. It is an easy process.

I really like the almost solid black granite and the small speckled patterns in darker colors. I'm not a fan of the large veining unless you have a giant kitchen because the pattern looks oversized. My favorite granites are the lighter ones with subtle sparkles that remind me of the sandstone "thirsty" coasters. Hehe.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Candice
Dog's Name: Einstein, aka Ein and Ami

yeeep granite is the next best thing- I highly advise against marble- they look really nice(we have carrera marble on the walls in the kitchen)but they stain really easily with slight splash of water.., drives me nuts). granite countertop, on the other hand,, in our kitchen is light grey/with black mixed, and it always look soo nice- even with dirts and water over it(but then again, if you asked my DH, who has OCD, he might tell you otherwise...). They don't stain, and always will stay beautiful. When we move into a house out of the city, I am going to put granite on the entire floor and the kitchen!
Curious_Ein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
http://www.affordablestoneproducts.c...stallation.jpg
I love this, I want a big work station like this !
That looks amazing. I would just love to have a kitchen like this.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I have granite in my kitchen in the city (renovated 6 year ago) and I love it. I got the Black Galaxy. It's jet black with some small colored areas that are sort of coppery and silver. I didn't want straight black because it would show spots more. I'm very happy with it and I remember reading that it's safer to get darker granites -- less radon in darker ones.
I do I wish I had stock in Windex. I use it a lot with paper towels but I really don't mind. Dust is not an issue. Who has dust in their kitchen unless they don't cook? Mine's been very durable. I had it sealed when I got it but haven't needed it since and it doesn't get stained. Wipe up any acids and citrus like lemon juice I think there are some granites now that have lifetime sealant too.
I attached photos of it. I'm renovating my house in VT and plan to do granite up there too. Also remember to look at the entire slabs. Some granites that I thought would look pretty -- when I saw a massive amount of it I was shocked -- I hated it. So many countertop places will let you go to the yard and view the granite slab they'll get it from or a similar one. I also love my deep kitchen sink!!
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on kitchen countertops please-img_1187.jpg   Opinions on kitchen countertops please-img_1188.jpg  

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I have granite and I only have two problems. It is really easy to break glass with just a tap. I have to very slowly and very carefully put down my glass coffee carafe. The other problem may sound trivial, but granite is SO much the trend that I am sure that in a short time it will be passe'. Like having dark brown appliances.

I have always thought that if I could design my own kitchen, I would use different materials for different work stations.

Anyway, this thread got me to exploring. Have a look at some of the more unique options available. I like the soapstone or quartz.

Check it out...Explore the pros and cons of 11 kitchen countertop materials. The options may surprise you
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

I have quartz and love it. It's a man made stone and doesn't require any maintenance.

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

Thank you everyone for your input. Our builder said he can take us to a granite quarry to pick out our slab. That sounds awesome, but it could take a long time if I have too much too choose from. I can be very indecisive at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
I have granite in my kitchen in the city (renovated 6 year ago) and I love it. I got the Black Galaxy. It's jet black with some small colored areas that are sort of coppery and silver. I didn't want straight black because it would show spots more. I'm very happy with it and I remember reading that it's safer to get darker granites -- less radon in darker ones.
I do I wish I had stock in Windex. I use it a lot with paper towels but I really don't mind. Dust is not an issue. Who has dust in their kitchen unless they don't cook? Mine's been very durable. I had it sealed when I got it but haven't needed it since and it doesn't get stained. Wipe up any acids and citrus like lemon juice I think there are some granites now that have lifetime sealant too.
I attached photos of it. I'm renovating my house in VT and plan to do granite up there too. Also remember to look at the entire slabs. Some granites that I thought would look pretty -- when I saw a massive amount of it I was shocked -- I hated it. So many countertop places will let you go to the yard and view the granite slab they'll get it from or a similar one. I also love my deep kitchen sink!!
Susan, the part about the radon is a bit scary. I assume it's in such small amounts that it's safe??????? I for sure will go for a darker colour.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa and Cozette. Dolly and Tiffany are angels at the Bridge

The granite in my master en suite is black with silvery flecks, and I love it! I don't have any problems with water spots- I'm not sure why, but I don't. Dust isn't an issue either since it gets cleaned every day regardless. I love how rich it looks!

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement