Cool snow technology - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
My family is eastern european. My great-grandmother was my Bakka. My father's name was Walter. As a child I learned to make walnut rolls, yeast risen cookies filled with walnut paste or apricots or prunes. I am guessing your heritage is from Czechoslovakia? Because the country of my heritage was unknown for ages and then much maligned I don't even like to tell people. We were long time enemies with Czechs....except for those of us who were close friends. How about the bread? Did you enjoy a dense bread with a thick crust that you had for holidays?
I know this is OT but did you make potica? I've also seen it spelled povitica.
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky

We are Polish. Babcia never baked, but was a great cook. Are you Croatian, by chance - guessing from bakka.
wkomorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
That takes major talent, I had it once in Chicago, it was incredible.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
We are Polish. Babcia never baked, but was a great cook. Are you Croatian, by chance - guessing from bakka.
Serbian. They have received a very bad rap in recent years. Before that nobody had a clue. I grew up in an area of mixed eastern European migrants and second generation. Everybody spoke their own language, and everybody understood the other. We shared traditions. The Catholics shared the grace of the orthodox calendar. It was kind of hard having a different calendar to live by, but we celebrated Christmas with our Catholic friends and they celebrated with is on the Jullian calendar. Now, I live by the California calendar. So be it. But, somehow there is a bit of sorrow mixed in with the celebration.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Serbian. They have received a very bad rap in recent years. Before that nobody had a clue. I grew up in an area of mixed eastern European migrants and second generation. Everybody spoke their own language, and everybody understood the other. We shared traditions. The Catholics shared the grace of the orthodox calendar. It was kind of hard having a different calendar to live by, but we celebrated Christmas with our Catholic friends and they celebrated with is on the Jullian calendar. Now, I live by the California calendar. So be it. But, somehow there is a bit of sorrow mixed in with the celebration.
Oh wait, I failed to mention that Serbians and Croations were supposed to be mortal enemies, but in fact, we were best friends.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
I don't know what that is. Bread? noodles? Cookies? I don't even know the name of the traditional foods I make.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

It is like an oversized strudel. The one I had was poppy seed - just make sure no drug tests scheduled for the next day. I love poppy seeds.

Hope you are able to keep some of your traditions going.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

My great-grandmother, grandmother and mother made a yeast bread roll with nuts or poppyseeds. It is really hard to find poppyseeds to make those rolls from today...they had to be ground fine. I'm getting really nostalgic now. Poles, Croations, Slavs, Hungarians...we all had more in common than any differences. Now, I live in a world of Californians, where nobody has ever had a real perogie. Sigh. So be it. I only get nostalgic at this time...otherwise, I am just fine with avocados and tofu..
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Becky
Send a message via Yahoo to beckinwolf

Quote:
My great-grandmother, grandmother and mother made a yeast bread roll with nuts or poppyseeds. It is really hard to find poppyseeds to make those rolls from today...they had to be ground fine. I'm getting really nostalgic now. Poles, Croations, Slavs, Hungarians...we all had more in common than any differences. Now, I live in a world of Californians, where nobody has ever had a real perogie. Sigh. So be it. I only get nostalgic at this time...otherwise, I am just fine with avocados and tofu..
I love perogies. I lived near Pittsburgh for 3 years. There was so much ethnic stuff back there. Polish this and that. I'm more German, but love all kinds of European food and treats. I had aunts that used to make Dutch cookies at Christmas. All those flaky, fluffy, crusty, yummy danish type yummy things.

beckinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Potica is dough rolled very thin and layered with fillings. My favorite is the crushed walnut. I used to work in a city that had a large Serbian population and in fact had a Serbian Hall as one of the prime banquet places. There were several older women who made potica but unfortunately they have all passed. My friend still makes it for her family but not to sell the way these ladies did.

OK, back to beets!
Advertisement