big snow day traditions - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Walter
Dog's Name: Lucky
Default big snow day traditions

On the first day in winter with a significant snow storm, I have a tradition, I go through my seed catalogs and place my garden seed orders for the next year. Anyone else have odd snow day traditions?
wkomorow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

No snow in Florida (yet) but happy ordering Walter. Wish we could have some pretty snow.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Walter, I check my knees and see if I think the torn ligaments will hold up. Really, I do and do a lot of leg weight exercises. I'm always anticipating skiing but since I tore two ligaments in one knee many, many years ago and a ligament and meniscus in the other knee in 2003, I'm always a little apprehensive. I also ski with a ski brace. Supposed to get between one and two feet in Vermont. I can't wait and LOVE cross country skiing!! I love when there's first snow. Oh and about planting seeds up at our house -- when we built our house I ordered 100 tulip bulb. We started to plant and realized rather than a shovel dynamite might have helped -- and I do mean might. We're so rocky that I can only do container planting.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

You ladies are too funny. Sue - New Hampshire is the granite state not Vt. You would think that with all those cows, all of VT would be covered with several inches of cow eh (censored).

It is supposed to be a major storm for us, and snow has already started. It is not going to be really cold - high 20s, low 30s, great weather for x- skiing.

I am so excited about the snow - like a little kid. I even ran my snowblower a while today to make sure it is ready for tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

I put coats on the girls and open the garage door. They run like crazy to the door and take about six steps into the snow, stop, look at me, turn around and run back into the house! That's it for our tradition!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Yes... My seed catalogs are starting to come in the mail now!! Are you talking about vegetable gardening or perennials? I have perennials everywhere! I 'm always looking for that ONE flower, that I don't have!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbody View Post
Walter, I check my knees and see if I think the torn ligaments will hold up. Really, I do and do a lot of leg weight exercises. I'm always anticipating skiing but since I tore two ligaments in one knee many, many years ago and a ligament and meniscus in the other knee in 2003, I'm always a little apprehensive. I also ski with a ski brace. Supposed to get between one and two feet in Vermont. I can't wait and LOVE cross country skiing!! I love when there's first snow. Oh and about planting seeds up at our house -- when we built our house I ordered 100 tulip bulb. We started to plant and realized rather than a shovel dynamite might have helped -- and I do mean might. We're so rocky that I can only do container planting.
I planted 50 new tulip bulbs in the fall, to add to my already... Too many to count!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I do vegs, herbs and small fruits. I usually buy annual flowers, but for veg, I am very particular about what is put on them, so I grow my own plants from seed. I do grow geranium from seed because the plants are so expensive.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkomorow View Post
I do vegs, herbs and small fruits. I usually buy annual flowers, but for veg, I am very particular about what is put on them, so I grow my own plants from seed. I do grow geranium from seed because the plants are so expensive.
Walter- I am so jealous. We don't have great soil here without much help....which I don't have patience for anymore. for years I had so many different flowers. but ground is sandy and dry causes a lot of work.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
Walter- I am so jealous. We don't have great soil here without much help....which I don't have patience for anymore. for years I had so many different flowers. but ground is sandy and dry causes a lot of work.
Our soil is really heavy clay ugh? I have to add a lot to it, to be able to work with it. I buy compost by the truckload. There is a company here that has a truck with a long shoot on it that will "shoot" the soil or compost to the garden spot. I used to have to shovel and wheelbarrow it to where I want it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement