Your ideal groomer?? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bow

Dog's Name: Bow
Default Your ideal groomer??

Hello everyone

Well, long story short: It's time for me to start my own grooming business (instead of working for other people) sometime next year. I have thought of different ideas, such as name, theme and how to make it special and unfortunately my head seems a bit empty..
So, I thought I'd ask everyone who uses groomers services;

* What would be your ideal groomer and what kind of services it would provide other than grooming?
* Would you be willing to pay a just above the average price for high quality services, or are you more interested in good value?
* Would you be interested in special services, such as birthday treats, christmas baths etc? ..including a certain theme in used shampoos, face washes and other products.

Also, how do you people feel about so called "creative grooming", meaning nail polish, hair dye, hair extensions etc? I can't say that these would be actually my cup of tea, and I don't see myself ever colouring dogs, I could MAYBE consider the nail polish in special occasions but I'd rather just concentrate on normal/luxury grooming.

And the name... this is the biggest problem: The name! So, any good name suggestions are very appreciated, ideally something glamorous, that attracts the attention and gives you a good mood

Thank you for reading and special thanks to anyone who can answer and help me out! x

Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

I am content with someone who does a good job, treats my Malt well and is reasonably priced. Also, gets the animals in and out in a reasonable time. We have one here in town that has a bad reputation for keeping the dogs all day long. I worked for her for about 8 months doing the shampooing, blow drying and comb outs, and she would have dogs dropped off at 8am and people would be calling at 8pm wanting to know where their dogs were. It was embarrassing. Plus she was expensive...I paid $30 for Mia's puppy cut yesterday. It included shampoo, blow dry, cut, nails trimmed, anal glands expressed and a pretty red bow. The woman I worked for (and this was several years ago) was already up to $45 a dog...people were pissed..this is a very small town....not Orlando or Tampa. Now she works out of her home.
nwyant1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
* What would be your ideal groomer and what kind of services it would provide other than grooming?

* Would you be willing to pay a just above the average price for high quality services, or are you more interested in good value?

* Would you be interested in special services, such as birthday treats, christmas baths etc? ..including a certain theme in used shampoos, face washes and other products.

Also, how do you people feel about so called "creative grooming", meaning nail polish, hair dye, hair extensions etc? I can't say that these would be actually my cup of tea, and I don't see myself ever colouring dogs, I could MAYBE consider the nail polish in special occasions but I'd rather just concentrate on normal/luxury grooming.
1. I don't know about extra services, but I look for a groomer that will allow me to be there during the process, I'm very picky about how I want Sophie cut, and rather than be disappointed at pick up, I want to know she's going to look how I want her to look at the end.

2. I think that if the reviews are excellent, yeah I would pay above average. I payed way above average for a pure bred instead of a rescue, if the service is exceptional, why wouldn't I pay above average for exceptional service for her?

3. I think a birthday package would be really cool, where there's a little something extra for the birthday fluffs, I know many people want they're pups to be groomed and look nice for their birthday. So that would be fun. As for special shampoos, give them the choice of the kind of shampoo to use, wether it be regular grooming shampoo, organic, or oatmeal based. That way people who have dogs with allergies can be groomed too without worrying about a break out from the shampoo used.

4. As for coloring dogs, while I know there are "safe and organic" ways of going about it, I would never consider coloring Sophie. That's just me though. I MAY consider nails done if it were something special, like her birthday or vacation. But even that's a maybe.

Additional: when looking for a groomer, I want someone that I can tell Sophie is excited to see after a few visits. If I can tell Sophie loves you and is excited to spend some time with you, I'd probably use your service forever. But if Sophie is shaking and clawing into my back because she doesn't want to go there, chances are I won't come back. I want someone who makes a connection with her and I can tell loves her.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

AshleyAndSophiePup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I love love love our groomer. She is everything I was looking for in a groomer. Let me just list why I like her.

1. She has a grooming van. Which means there is no waiting time. We make an appointment, she comes to our place, grooms Gustave right there and we're done. I love that he doesn't have to wait in a kennel.

2. She is very flexible. Late cancellations (which happen more than I'd like because of my crazy schedule) are no problem, and she always squeezes us in for an appointment if I make a last minute change.

3. Gustave likes her. He loves all people but he specially likes Nathalie. He doesn't even look at us as we leave him in her arms.

4. She keeps me updated. She sends me text to tell me how he's doing, how much more time etc. It makes such a huge difference. This is her biggest selling point for me.

5. Gustave always gets a free bow. I know a lot of groomers do this, but her bows are cuter than many out there, haha!

6. She hands me a treat at the end for Gustave, in a cute little bag. I like that she doesn't give it to him herself. This way I can monitor quantity and quality.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

The most important thing I look for in a groomer is how my dog feels about him/her. I went from groomer to groomer for years trying to find someone my first Maltese would like and where she wouldn't be miserable. But when I would pick her up, she was always desperate to get out of there.

Finally a new groomer only 5 minutes from us opened up a business in a little building she built in her home's back yard. Our dogs go in happily and greet her with kisses and waggy tails. When I go to pick them up they are wagging, happy to see me but not desperate to leave. They will walk back over to our groomer for pets and cuddles from her.

I think that says it all when the dog likes the groomer, that is what is most important and tells me how my pup has been treated. I'm fortunate that my groomer also does a very nice job and is reasonably priced but I would use her even if she charged 50% more because she is wonderful with dogs and they are at ease with her.

Thinking about how happy our dogs are with our groomer as what is most important to me, the name "Happy Tails Pet Spa" comes to mind as a good name for a grooming business. Or maybe "Contented Canines Day Spa"? Something that makes the doggies sound happy to be there.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

My ideal groomer is the one I use. I don't know what I will do if and when she ever retires. Her grooming shop is next to her house and it is very well kept and secure. Bella loves to go to her grooming appointments - she gets very excited when we pull up so I know that she is happy and well taken care of when she is there. I like that I have a stadium appointment with the groomer - every other Friday - so I don't have to worry about her being booked and not able to groom Bella. She charges me $35 and that is for the works including an adorable little bow over each ear that she will make to my specific color and design request if I want. Usually I just leave it up to her though - she knows which colors I like best on Bella or if it is a game weekend for the high school to give Bella the bright blue bows with the wildcat paws on them. lol. She also never does anything new without asking me first but she is also confident to make suggestions or say no if I request something that she doesn't feel would be best with Bella's body shape, coat type, etc. We have a good relationship and she is easy to talk to. That's important to me. Most important is that I am tell that Bella enjoys going to be groomed and everything is out in the open where anyone can view the dogs and what she is doing.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I also want someone who Leila is happy to see and also if I ask something not to be done, it isn't done...like cut facial hair so it can grow out. Another thing I wish we had around here is where you can actually make an appointment like you would with a human hair dresser and the owner could stay and watch. All the groomers I know of around here have you drop them off first thing in the morning and pick them up late in the day. So far though, since Leila is a puppy, they've done her and called me 30 minutes later to pick her up because they say they do that with young puppies so as not to stress them out. She's getting older now and I doubt that'll be the case next time. I'm thinking of seeing if I can get her on with a mobile groomer my sister-in-law uses. It cost $60 for her to have her Yorkie groomed but she says it's the best way she's ever had a groomer and it's worth it. The only reason I haven't so far is since there aren't many places I can take Leila, going to the groomer is one place I can take her. I'm not in to coloring the hair or adding extentions, but some of the younger people might like it. I did order a pink fingernail polish pen from toplinepet.com with my last order but I haven't used it yet because I was afraid I would get it on her hair. I do think polish is cute though, especially for a special occasion.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bow

Dog's Name: Bow

A BIG thank you for everyone for your answers, I have now finally remembered to check this thread again (talk about a bad memory!) and will print everything so I can start working the idea - what every single one of you said has given me a lot of information! What also makes me happy to see is how all of you actually put your dogs wellbeing first, in my job I see far too many dogs that aren't as lucky as your little fluffs are

!!!THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

My ideal groomer is the one I use. My girls run to her and her staff with their tails wagging - I can tell they are oh so happy to be there! Tessa actually doesn't want to leave at the end of the day - she sits down and doesn't want me to put her harness and coat back on!

The really awesome thing she did with both of my girls is that the first visit was a meet and greet. We went into the shop, she actually sat down in the middle of the floor and played with them. That was it - nothing traumatic. The first time we went in for a grooming, she let them play first before starting the grooming and then lets them play afterwards. And yes, I pay a little higher price for that.

I think she does a nice job on the cuts, but it's how she treats the girls that make me keep going back there.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
vjw
Maltese Guru

I look for one who has graduated from a good grooming school.
vjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement