Just shoot me! - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I haven't done a tree for years as we are never home at Christmas. It was always a chore for me because it is like packing, unpacking---which I detest (and w/good reason). Every time I saw that box I went into a downward spiral called "moving." Ugh. So, we just celebrate in other ways. I still have lots of decorations & maybe someday when I finally settle I will do a tree again.
We are also very simple people really---less is more!
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I think I may have a way to make you feel a LITTLE better:
At least it's not TWO houses. Yep, I actually put up AND take down all the decorations at my house and my boyfriends house. And I am into decorating, so it's not a 2 hour task
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
I stopped doing the tree about 10 years ago. It was so depressing to see all the poor dead trees sitting on the side of the road on December 26th. So DH brought out the trimmings and I said, " just put them in the trash...and we won't kill a tree." Of course, I don't have grandchildren or kids coming to visit. I'm done with it, but I feel sad. Now, you still have a vibrant household. But, I do have to wonder, what was the hurry? Isn't Christmas supposed to last a week? I'm not being argumentative, I sincerely wonder why people who love Christmas are in such a hurry to get it over with?
I totally agree. I am not a tree hugger, but I hate that people use real trees. If you like the smell so much, buy an air freshener. Problem solved. I know the real trees LOOK better, but it's a waste and we're taking down a poor, beautiful tree for nothing,

As far as when I take down decorations, it's on January 7th. I leave them up for the full 12 days of Christmas. My boyfriend thinks that is weird, but I'm Catholic and that's how I've always done it.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Denise
Dog's Name: Bennington

I am taking down my stuff today! (it will be a slooooww go) Every year I do less and less, but this year we went all out - as we had both kids home for Christmas this year...and who knows when that will happen again??
DeniseA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

Aww Deborah bless , they'll be down soon enough have a cuppa and relax xx
Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deb
Dog's Name: Jops,Sammie,Frankie,LBB,Henry,Daisy,Lulu

Deborah,

LMAO!!

For years it has been just me and the dogs for holidays. So do not do Christmas decorations in my home, but visit those who do. Good enough for me, and they have to take their own down. No I do not offer to help

My sister and I are very much alike, we couldn't wait to get the dried-up tree, and all the stuff out of our houses. So, we both would take everything down the day after Christmas.

I do get tired of the mess, and worry about the dogs, so simply don't deal with it all anymore.

Miss You,

Deb and Gang
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I always had a live tree until about 10 years ago when I got tired of trying to get tree sap out of the carpet. One year our live tree came with live click beetles hiding in it too; we'd be sitting in front of the beautiful tree hearing CLICK CLICK CLICK. Rather creeped me out so the next year we purchased a very nice 14 foot (we have 18 ft. cathedral ceiling in the living room) artificial tree that we have used every year since. The only problem is it is so HUGE it takes 3 days to set up and fully decorate. Fortunately it comes down much faster; we take ours down New Years Day afternoon every year. I leave the "incidental" decorations scattered around the house a little longer and just put those away a few at a time so that's fairly painless.

In this state, Missouri, used live Christmas trees don't go to waste. Most have come from tree farms, btw, grown specifically to be Christmas trees. There are stations all over the state (like Walmart parking lots) where you can dump your live tree. The state Conservation department then comes and collects them, bundles several together with attached concrete block weights, and pitches them overboard into state owned lakes and resevoirs to act as fish shelters for young fish. Thus they do not go to waste and have a 2nd life of usefulness after bringing joy to people's holidays.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jerry
Dog's Name: Louie

We switched to a small already lit fake tree years ago. This year half the lights were out so we removed them all and put new lights on. The tree is only about 4' tall so we put it on a table to make it look taller. it takes about 15 minutes to remove the decorations and pack them and the whole tree gets put into a bag and put back into storage. We do have a few other decorations around the house but we have it to the point where there is enough to have the feel of Christmas without having to spend hours putting it all away.

At the Bridge...
Smokey my Shepard/Husky mix
Brutus and Trooper, Doberman's
Tera, Great Dane
Ralph, Mixed assortment of furry beasts
Gremlin, Husky
Peanut, Dachshund
Slick and Mr. Foo, cat brothers
Chubby my big fat gray cat with tighty whitey's
Skinny butt, mixed breed female cat
rag-a-muffin, wild haired mixed breed cat
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

I've been so lazy I haven't even STARTED taking down my Christmas decor! I usually love tackling it the day after Christmas and getting everything neatly put away, but this year I have so many other things on my mind and I just don't care about the decor still being everywhere. The only part that bothers me right now is the gift wrapping supplies -- I picked up a few new rolls of paper and gift tags for next year but haven't organized the bins so it looks so trashy right now.

I told myself last weekend that I would put everything away...but maybe this weekend is the one.