Setting up a donation account/website? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)
Question Setting up a donation account/website?

Some of you are already aware that my husband and I have struggled to conceive a baby over the last 6 years. We managed to conceive twice (once with fertility drugs and once naturally) but both pregnancies resulted in early miscarriages. After taking almost a 2 year break from our last miscarriage, we are currently giving it one last go before giving up on having a biological child. My appointment with my infertility doctor is in February. Ultimately I am not very confident that we will conceive a child, so I want to start looking into domestic adoption.

We are completely open to the idea of a domestic adoption, and with the cost ranging from $15,000 - $30,000 on average it will be a very long process in order for us to go this route. It will likely take us years to save.

I am wondering what the different choices are for setting up a donation-based account online so that we can have a special account for our adoption funds. My parents mentioned instead of giving us gifts for birthdays and such, they could instead donate that money toward an adoption fund if that was what we chose to persue. I thought that was a great idea. I know I have seen online "click to donate to such-and-such, with a goal of $XXXXX" funds like this before, and thought some of you may have suggestions on how I would go about doing this.

Are there any other suggestions you have for someone like me who might need to save $20,000+? We have already decided that if we do not conceive using the less expensive fertility drugs (like Clomid), we will not be considering IVF because the success rate is so low and we would rather put that money toward an adoption.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

You could probably set up a pay pal account, that way they can give and you don't see their credit cards. I would set up a seperate bank account as well.

It is wonderful that you are considering adoption! My siblings and I are all adopted.
lyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndy View Post
You could probably set up a pay pal account, that way they can give and you don't see their credit cards. I would set up a seperate bank account as well.

It is wonderful that you are considering adoption! My siblings and I are all adopted.
I had thought about just doing Paypal but I was curious if there were sites to use that had less fees attached where I could also create a nice page with our story, goal, etc.

I would actually prefer to adopt as our #1 option but unfortunately the cost of doing so is why we are trying to conceive first. We do not want to foster-to-adopt (too much heartbreak). Adoption in the US is so messed up with the cost of it all, it makes me so angry.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Xxx

Last edited by lyndy; 12-29-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: changed mind
lyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

You can try Crowdrise

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
You can try Crowdrise

Thanks! I will look into it, I haven't heard of it before.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

I did a search and I found some that look legitimate, and even crowdrise is in the "top 12" list. I never knew these sites existed, I only knew of kickstarter, don't know if that one is just for projects though, or for anything you want to fundraiser for. Anyways, I think it's a great idea, and even better if you can customize the page with your story, like you said. I wish you the best of luck. And I hope that when you make the page that you will share in this forum may make donations too

Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Denise
Dog's Name: Bennington

This is what we have been using for my cousin. She has cancer, and no medical insurance. It has been a great way for people to donate and help with her treatment cost. https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/1MUA8 I left her page, so you can see how the story looks.
DeniseA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Well, I looked into a few more donation websites but it looks like all of them charge between a 3.9%-5%+ fee for the transactions (like Paypal, etc). It doesn't seem like much for smaller amounts but when we need to save $20,000+ it is a big chunk that gets subtracted. If we do start saving for adoption, we may just ask for checks written to us instead of gifts for birthdays & Christmas.