What the heck.... - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default What the heck....

is with all this spam mail??? I don't WANT an iPhone!!! Is there something we can do to get rid of it...PERMANENTLY??? I keep reporting it and it usually goes away, but is there a way to lock the forum down so they can't keep posting???
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hidden Valley, CA
Posts: 8,870
Default

Those advertisers join as members and then spam the board. The mods will delete the thread and ban the member, but it can't be totally prevented. In a way though, SM doesn't get spammed or trolled as much as the average open forum.

It seems like such a ridiculous method to try to get sales. WHO WOULD respond to such an annoying ad? Who would trust spam bots to actually go to their site, let alone BUY something from them? They probably annoying 500,000 people without making a sale.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Those advertisers join as members and then spam the board. The mods will delete the thread and ban the member, but it can't be totally prevented. In a way though, SM doesn't get spammed or trolled as much as the average open forum.

It seems like such a ridiculous method to try to get sales. WHO WOULD respond to such an annoying ad? Who would trust spam bots to actually go to their site, let alone BUY something from them? They probably annoying 500,000 people without making a sale.
Well, it must have worked (the annoying part) because I had to post a thread about it since it annoyed ME that much!!! I guess I failed that test
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Ladysmom's Avatar
 
Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,658
Default

It's horrible, isn't it? I usually report 2-3 spam threads every morning when I first log in. I've reported five in the past half hour!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
italianna82's Avatar
 
Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 586
Default

I don't remember EVER seeing any in the past few months. It's like the past month has been bombarded with it.
__________________
Anna and Gucci
italianna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Ladysmom's Avatar
 
Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
I don't remember EVER seeing any in the past few months. It's like the past month has been bombarded with it.
I think the spam bots are getting more sophisticated.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

 
maggieh's Avatar
 
Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago - Western Suburbs
Posts: 7,539
Default

Folks, today was much worse than what we normally see. There really isn't any way to prevent it so we just delete it and ban the spammer as soon as we can.

And to those of you who reported all of the "junk" today - huge thank you!!!!! I can't always read through the forums during the workday but I do check email every few hours and if I see spam reported, I delete it as soon as possible. Keep up the great work on reporting!
__________________
Sweetness and Tessa
maggieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Ladysmom's Avatar
 
Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 17,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
Folks, today was much worse than what we normally see. There really isn't any way to prevent it so we just delete it and ban the spammer as soon as we can.

And to those of you who reported all of the "junk" today - huge thank you!!!!! I can't always read through the forums during the workday but I do check email every few hours and if I see spam reported, I delete it as soon as possible. Keep up the great work on reporting!
Thank YOU, Maggie, for handling this!
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Leila'sMommy's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: West Columbia, SC
Posts: 2,932
Default

Thank you so much for taking care of it! They really are annoying!


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________


Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com