Will he be dangerous?? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I actually think one of the reasons my Golden and Maltese got along so well - and so safely - is because my Maltese was an adult when the 8 week old puppy Golden came into the household. Even though the Maltese was teeny, the Golden knew she was an adult and gave her due respect a young puppy gives an adult dog. The 8 pounder "outranked" the future 80 pounder from the first day and that continued as the Golden grew. Dog packs are all about who's Alpha.

But the big difference for you is you are dealing with males rather than spayed females. Those boy hormones are very pesky and could create a very different scenario than I had. Caution and safety first will have to rule.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Well, you know your brother better than we do.

My sister will be getting a large breed puppy sometime this year. And so sadly after that puppy arrives Grace will no longer be able to play at my sister's house. I know my sister won't be the best about training the big dog, so it won't be mellow enough to feel safe with allowing Grace on the floor.

One paw swipe or playful puppy pounce from a large puppy could seriously injure a fluff.

I'd suggest maybe if you have to be around them - separate them by a gate.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieh View Post
There are a few reasons to be concerned here. First, the GSMD is a puppy and will be full of energy and exuberance and won't understand his own size. He could very easily injure a smaller dog when he is simply trying to initiate play. Second, this is a male who won't be neutered for a while yet - again, doesn't understand that he's too big to play rough with a small dog.

I would definitely keep them separated while the larger dog is going through puppy stage; your brother should investigate a puppy kindergarten or beginner obedience so that his dog learns how to behave in social settings with dogs of all sizes.
I didn't see that it was a puppy... since puppy's are pretty out of control as a rule... I might wait til he was a bit older and has been socialized and neutered and learns how to play nicely with small dogs!

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisol
Dog's Name: Kelly, Kimmy & Khloe

Thank you guys for all the advice and for sharing your experiences!! I will be getting gates and talking to my brother about neutering his dog; maybe it'll help with the aggression. (I doubt he will listen though) but anyways... After reading this I definetly will not allow them too close, atleast for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Fluffdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Oh, I feel for you. I would be scared too. I wouldn't live with big dogs. But not everyone has that choice. I hope your brother hires a GOOD trainer for the big dog, most people I meet don't pay for any training beyond a puppy class. And like others said I would never leave my Maltese unsupervised with a huge dog. But that's me.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement