Will he be dangerous?? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisol
Dog's Name: Kelly, Kimmy & Khloe
Default Will he be dangerous??

My brother is getting a Great Swiss Mountain Dog next week, and I'm a little scared... I've never ever lived with a big dog and neither have my little fluffs. The dog is a puppy and is a male, so I'm scared of how Dolce will react to him since he HATES all male dogs. I'm also very afraid of that dog when he grows to his full size. What if he sees my babies as toys and hurts them? A lab once grabbed Dolce and shook him; the vet said if he had bit him just a little closer to his tummy Dolce wouldn't of lived. I know it was only a miracle from God that he survived. After that traumatic experience I have become so frightened of my little babies to be around big dogs. Am I exaggerating or can this Great Swiss Mountain dog be a threat to my little ones?? Has anyone here also gotten a big dog after having a toy dog? If so, how did your toy dogs handle the new big dog? Even if they're raised next to the little dogs can they still be dangerous when they're full grown? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just really worried!! I'd appreciate any advice on wether I should only let them be together if their supervised or if I shouldn't allow them together AT ALL. Thank you!!

Fluffdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

The sheer size difference between a GSMD and a Maltese is cause for concern. I have three large dogs - highly trained, highly responsive to commands and very good natured but due to the size differnce between them and my maltese, I never ever leave them alone with her unsupervised. It takes a little more work and sometimes juggling ony part but it's worth it to ensure the well being of all my precious babies - big and small.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycake7 View Post
The sheer size difference between a GSMD and a Maltese is cause for concern. I have three large dogs - highly trained, highly responsive to commands and very good natured but due to the size differnce between them and my maltese, I never ever leave them alone with her unsupervised. It takes a little more work and sometimes juggling ony part but it's worth it to ensure the well being of all my precious babies - big and small.
Oh okay!! Thank you sooo much!!
Even under supervision is it safe to let them play together??

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

I don't blame you in the least for being worried, ESPECIALLY after what happened with the lab.... This is one of my biggest fears as well... I personally am nervous of big dogs, which is why I prefer smaller breeds, but I hate to discriminate. That being said, if you don't know the personality and temperament of a large dog then I wouldn't trust it until you know it, and DEFINITELY DON'T leave it unsupervised with your fluffs!!

I hope others have advice, I would be interested in learning how to introduce large dogs to small dogs as well!!

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdoll View Post
Oh okay!! Thank you sooo much!!
Even under supervision is it safe to let them play together??
I would hold off on play until you know the dog better... even then nothing too rough unless you know 100% that the dog will be gentle with them.

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkieYorkie View Post
I don't blame you in the least for being worried, ESPECIALLY after what happened with the lab.... This is one of my biggest fears as well... I personally am nervous of big dogs, which is why I prefer smaller breeds, but I hate to discriminate. That being said, if you don't know the personality and temperament of a large dog then I wouldn't trust it until you know it, and DEFINITELY DON'T leave it unsupervised with your fluffs!!

I hope others have advice, I would be interested in learning how to introduce large dogs to small dogs as well!!
Thank you! It feels good to know I'm not the only one who would be worried in this situation And yes you're right; I shouldn't leave them alone, specially since I don't know the other dog just yet. Also, Dolce is very defensive with bigger dogs because of what happened to him so yeah..

My brother insists his dog won't be aggressive and blablabla
But they said the same about the lab who attacked Dolce

Old 01-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

My first Maltese Holly spent most of her life with an 80 lb. Golden Retriever as her best friend. They would play and rough-house and wooly each other, and the Golden was always oh-so-gentle with Holly. They would play "chase around the dining room table" and Holly was usually the chaser, chasing the Golden. It was very funny to watch. In their 11 years together (my Golden died this past May at age 11; Holly died in August at age 17) there was never any incident with the Golden accidentally or intentionally harming my Maltese. They loved each other. In my hello on the intro thread not too long ago, I posted a photo of Holly and my Golden together.

That said, both of mine were spayed females. Males, and particularly intact males, can be much more aggressive and territorial. Most importantly is just their individual personalities. They may be best friends from day one. Or they may never accept each other and not be able to be in the same room with each other. I guess you'll be finding out which soon. Until you know, be very cautious and supervise them carefully. Baby gates to divide a house into different territories can be a life saver (literally). Just get the walk-through kind that humans can open a latch and walk through without having to take the gate out, or the gates will drive you nutz. Best of luck to you and your doggies.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

My youngest daughter had a red-nosed pit mixed. He's about 65 lbs and his idea of playing is to pounce and flatten...so needless to say Mia stays in her crate when we are there.

My other daughter's family hasn't met Mia yet, and they have a Rottie, a Rottie mix and a hound mix. All huge dogs...so again she will stay in her crate most definitely.

When I dogsit for my best friend she has a Dane mix, a Golden and a Dachshund. The Dane mix is a female but very aggressive having already gone after the Dachshund, Mia will definitely be separated from her. I don't know about the Golden or the Dachshund yet.
nwyant1946 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I would definately get to know the dog and see what his personality is like before you even introduce them to your fluffs. You will know what kind of dog he is and if he can even be trusted around yours. The size difference is overwhelming but more important will be what his temperment is and how he reacts to other dogs. I think you will be able to tell after a little bit.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

There are a few reasons to be concerned here. First, the GSMD is a puppy and will be full of energy and exuberance and won't understand his own size. He could very easily injure a smaller dog when he is simply trying to initiate play. Second, this is a male who won't be neutered for a while yet - again, doesn't understand that he's too big to play rough with a small dog.

I would definitely keep them separated while the larger dog is going through puppy stage; your brother should investigate a puppy kindergarten or beginner obedience so that his dog learns how to behave in social settings with dogs of all sizes.
Advertisement