Just went crazy.... - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaylla
Dog's Name: Khloee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
It is good that you are a protective mommy, but honestly, I think it would be better if you tempered your instinct with intelligence. I happen to love birds. I love owls. I know the different species of owls, and I know that only great-horned owls are a threat. There are so many species of absolutely adorable small owls that pose zero threat. Driving them off with a hose in the middle of the day, when they are ill equipped to move was actually very cruel. I know that many people just kill or threaten animals who pose no threat out of fear and ignorance, but I don't applaud such behavior. Human beings excuse terrible behavior towards dogs, saying that they are just animals to be used as humans see fit. We who love dogs condemn that behavior. Yet, we fail to recognize that all animals are special creatures. Owls are magnificent creatures, beautiful creatures with a place in nature. Why would you feel threatened by a small owl....NO it will not attract great horned owls, more likely it would keep them away.

Since you live in a state that has a special wealth of avian life, I humbly suggest that you get a book and learn what wonderful creatures are in your own back yard.
Sylie, I respect and understand your stance, but likewise I have my own opinion on birds of prey. Personally I would NEVER kill a bird, or any animal, if I could avoid it at all cost, and felt that spraying the owl with water was the most ethical manner in which I could get it out of my yard without performing undue harm. I have witnessed an owl attempt to pick up my best friends yorkie (thank goodness we were both outside), and also have another friend who's daughter's yorkie mix was picked up and dropped by an owl, and died 3 hours later; in both of these instances, these were not horned owls. Well I should say that the first was not for sure because I was there to see it, but the second instance I did not see it myself so have to go from word of mouth :/ It is because of these close to home experiences that I was quick to act the way I did. If I am being honest, I would do it again because I will not take the risk...I truly do not intend to be cruel but rather protective in the best way I know how. I'm sincerely sorry if I offended you though, truly
Gongjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongjoo View Post
Sylie, I respect and understand your stance, but likewise I have my own opinion on birds of prey. Personally I would NEVER kill a bird, or any animal, if I could avoid it at all cost, and felt that spraying the owl with water was the most ethical manner in which I could get it out of my yard without performing undue harm. I have witnessed an owl attempt to pick up my best friends yorkie (thank goodness we were both outside), and also have another friend who's daughter's yorkie mix was picked up and dropped by an owl, and died 3 hours later; in both of these instances, these were not horned owls. Well I should say that the first was not for sure because I was there to see it, but the second instance I did not see it myself so have to go from word of mouth :/ It is because of these close to home experiences that I was quick to act the way I did. If I am being honest, I would do it again because I will not take the risk...I truly do not intend to be cruel but rather protective in the best way I know how. I'm sincerely sorry if I offended you though, truly
You didn't offend me. I just find that there are so many people who respond to harmless animals in a way that is harmful to an innocent creature. I love all of nature, except for mosquitoes, fleas, ticks and viruses. But I find that so many people over respond to innocent creatures who are of the same family of potentially threatening creatures. As a bird watcher, I would dearly love to spot a Sawett owl, or a pygmy owl. Yes, great horned owls could pose a threat to a small dog, but not all owls.

One time a bull mastiff got my little dog by the neck and would have killed him if DH had not intervened. Does that mean that I should defend against all dogs? No. It means I need to understand that certain breeds are bred to be dog aggressive and avoid contact. Not all owls...in fact, only great horned owls pose a threat...why attack an innocent owl? Forcing an owl into flight mid day caused it to totally loose it's equilibrium.

It wasn't the most horrible act, but I only wish to encourage you to think about it. Honestly, in Arizona you have a wealth of opportunity to see some wonderful birds. Wonderful birds.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Vanilla

You just can't be certain that owl was not going to try to come close to your malt. I think what you did was a wise choice . I don't think he will be coming back.
poochie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

At least you didn't harm it. Ever since I took a native wildlife class I have more respect for owls, hawks and birds. More wild life is killed by our domesticated pets then the other way around. The instructor said its a important responsibility as a pet owner to make sure they can provide a good environment for their pet without disturbing native species. A pet has us to look out for them, but wildlife doesn't have any protection in the residential areas.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Um... I kind of agree with Sylie.

And I'd be really careful.... Research your laws. Some owls (many owls) are protected species...so if you did injure one or kill one you could be in serious trouble.

We have hawks and owls that sit on our fence. I know the hawks are eying Grace.

My parents made a smaller area for her to potty in... so that when they are out there, she is confined to one space, and I can supervise her better. If I am standing there they don't do anything. In fact if I walk too near, the hawks will fly off. I sometimes send Gus out first to do yard patrol. But Grace doesn't "play" in the yard... just is out there to do her business or sit with me in the sun.

But the owls.... They aren't very protected and can't navigate as well during the day. Which is why he didn't fly off when you climbed the ladder with the broom. It's night you have to worry about.... and if that is one of his perch, a squirt with the hose won't deter him.

Poor owl.

I'm all for saving my pup.... Heaven knows I'd be devastated if anything happened to her. And I do understand the whole prey thing. But .... owls are such beautiful creatures. And like I said... many are protected. For important reasons.

Anyway.

Off my soap box.

Keep your fluff close. Maybe leash him up for potty at night.

Ah.... I just saw you are from AZ. Me too..... Owls in this state are protected. So spray carefully....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement