Elephant Seal Watching in Central Coast CA - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Some pictures of the road. We loved it.

Attachment 107241

Attachment 107249

Attachment 107257

Last edited by MalteseJane; 10-01-2013 at 11:40 PM.
MalteseJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

Just checked the prices at the Post Ranch Inn !! Do they accept dogs for that price ???
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
I just love this area of California! Cambria is nearby, and is a lovely little town. There is a lovely wooden boardwalk where you can stroll along the coastline and shop. I would also recommend Paso Robles for some wine tasting. You can go wine tasting at some fabulous wineries. Many are small, family owned and operated wineries with limited production. Some wines are only available in the tasting rooms where you are often greeted by the owner or a family member.
For a list of wineries with info on wine tasting visit:
http://www.cheers2wine.com/paso-robles-w

If you drive a little further south to Pismo Beach, you can rent an ATV and ride the sand dunes at Oceano Beach. The dunes are huge and really a blast.
http://www.cheers2wine.com/Oceano-Dunes.

San Luis Obispo has a famous Farmer's Market on Thursday evenings in their downtown section. Very nice fresh farm items, crafts, flowers, food, and live entertainment.

Hope your trip is a blast!!
Thank you for sharing some great ideas. I am going on this trip with my parents and unfortunately, they are not into wine nor extreme sport activites. As for me, I would loooooove to do both. I have never tried the ATV but sounds so much fun! I love things like this. In fact, I just recently got my motorcycle license and currently in search of motorcycle gear. Perhaps next time when I go with people that love them as much as I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycake7 View Post
All great suggestions! San Luis Obispo is my old stomping grounds as I attended Cal Poly. The Central Coast is such a fantastic area. If you are needing somewhere to stay, the Madonna Inn is a funky, historic pink palace. Its not for everyone but if you like something off the wall and have a sense of humor, you might enjoy it. Thursdays Farmers Market in SLO is the best! Great BBQ as well as all the other things mentioned. ENJOY!
I already booked a place to stay but Madonna Inn sounds interesting. I will definitely will be hitting up some BBQ oyster places. Yummy!!! Any particular BBQ place you recommend that's good but not too expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
My daughter lives in this area & works at CalPoly now---so we have made some great memories there. She was married there last spring & we had a 3 day wedding which was fantastic at Dancing Deer Farm in Atascadero/Tempelton. She belongs to a beautiful, scenic wine place called Pear Valley---where we spent an afternoon doing a picnic & tasting several of their famous wines. There was a morning of wine-tastings in the area that same day. So many beautiful places there!
Before she moved to this area I was not to keen on CA. but did not know the central coast---I have a new impression of CA. now---a very good one. Enjoy your time & let us see what you did via photos!
Oh yes, I second what Pam said about Cambria---we have been back a few times now!
We also saw Hearst & some elephant seals (at Christmas)---saw Hearst again in April---worth a 2nd look!
I originally decided to go on this trip because I wanted to practice using my new DSLR camera by taking pictures of the Elephant Seals. Up to this point, all the pictures of Mimi & Milo was with my iphone but the quality of the pictures are sooooooo much better with the DSLR. Here is a sample of a picture I took with my new DSLR camera.

When I took pictures of Mimi & Milo in the evenings, there was always this yellow tint to my pictures. With the DSLR, I was able to get rid of that yellow tint by adjusting the white balance. I am trying to learn how to use this DSLR camera and thought taking lots of pictures will help me to improve. I will be posting pictures after I return from my trip. Hopefully they turn out well. I still don't know how to use the DSLR camera too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
The seals are amazing. The beach is covered with seals for a far as you can see. The big bulls get rambunctious and could be dangerous. I sat down near a young female...not a baby, more like a teenager. We chatted for a while, and she kept looking up at me with those huge eyes. DH wanted to take a picture and suggested that I put my hand close so that it would look like I was petting her. She turned her head towards me with the sweetest expression. Then I did pet her head...and she liked it. I have a framed enlargement, but I can't find a copy to scan...that's the problem with having 22 million photographs.

All that to say...visiting the seals is an amazing experience.
Oh wow, you got that close to the Elephant Seals? I thought they are dangerous and can't get near them. That must be a really cool picture! I am definitely looking forward to seeing them and taking pictures of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
I like going to Solvang when I'm in that part of California. And I could spend weeks at any of the beaches in Big Sur/Carmel.
Solvang is definitely cool. Been there several times in my life so probably won't be going there this weekend since I will only be there for two days (including driving time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
The first time my husband took me to California, we flew to LA and drove up the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco, stopping and staying the night in little towns along the way. When we came up on the stretch of beach where the seals were sunning, I started screaming "NO! THOSE SEALS ARE BEACHED AND DYING!!!" There were so many of them and I'd never seen anything like it before. My sweet husband just laughed and explained it all to me and down we went for a closer look. I was running ahead of him as I was planning on petting a little one and he was yelling at me to stop! Those things move pretty fast!

Hearst Castle was amazing. I really want to go back there one day.

Have a wonderful time and take lots of pictures!
Thanks! I will definitely post pics when I return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Very interesting little spot---do breakfast here if you can!
Don't forget Monterey---two European lady friends & I spent several days there some years ago together---what a beautiful, friendly spot!

My DD & SIL do swing dancing at the Madonna Inn--quirky & fun!
I was not planning on going that far up north so no Monterey for this trip. As for Modonna Inn, I looooooooooooove swing dancing so I googled when they have that in Modonna Inn and it looks like it's on monday night and I will only be there on Sat & Sun. Too bad! I would have loved to go and check that out.

Quote:
I will also chime in again and agree - if you can make of up the coast to the Monterey Peninsula...Big Sur, Carmel and Pebble Beach. Born, raised and lived there for 30plus years. IMO God's Country....most beautiful scenery in the world, fabulous restaurants, and amazing art galleries. I highly recommend Post Ranch in Big Sur if you are staying overnight. Em Lee's in Carmel for breakfast is a must! Forge in the Forest for drinks and and a chat around the fire after dinner!
I wasn't planning on going up that far up north this trip. Maybe I will do a trip there another time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
I think if she takes our advice she needs to make her trip at least a one week if not two!! I agree, and forgot about Solvang. And I think Carmel is heaven on earth, and one of the most dog friendly cities around.
YUP!! After reading everyones' suggestions, I am thinking I should make another trip again soon!

Quote:
Haha, yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Quote:
Remember she only has two more days. Just the drive...if you take coast highway from the beach with the seals to Monterey would take all day. It is a gorgeous drive, but exhausting. I've been there, and honestly I would just head to Big Sur. Cambria was just plain boring...to me. Solvang, excuse me, no. The Madonna Inn is a hoot, but lunch is about all I can tolerate. I would just head up to Big Sur....one of the world's natural wonders.

I think it is a question of if you prefer cute, even charming tourist towns or amazing nature.

Although, is isn't easy to find lodging in Big Sur without advanced reservations.
I am thinking that two days isn't enough to take pictures of the Elephant Seals and enjoy Big Sur. I plan to spend some time in Morro Bay as well. So here is my tenative itinery. On Saturday morning, drive up to the Piedras Blancas Light station and do the tour, then go take pictures of the Elephant seals at the rookery, have seafood (i.e. BBQ oysters) for lunch in Morro Bay, go check out Morro Bay state park and Museum of Natural History. Then take some pictures at the Morro Rock. Take a stroll down the wooden boardwalk at Moonstone Beach and take pictures of the sunset. Then go grab dinner at Robins restaurant and then finally check into a hotel. Then on sunday, I plan to go to Hearst castle and take pictures there. Then go down to Morro Bay for eat more seafood. I want to eat some fresh crab. Then I am looking to go horseback riding but I am having hard time making reservations. I called like three different stables and none of them called me back yet. Hopefully, I can make reservation to go horseback riding on the beach. Then for dinner, I plan to go get some sushi in SLO. I am getting very excited typing this! I can't wait!

BTW, I noticed that many restaurants here are very DOG FRIENDLY for those that might want to travel to this area.

Quote:
Lol so true!!! Solving has the best little Danish cookies!!! She just needs to do a whole Santa Barbara up to atleast Santa Cruz tour!
I have done the Santa Barbara trip long before but it was long ago. Perhaps I should do that trip again in the future. Gosh, so many places I want to travel to but not enough time and money to go to all the places I want to go.

Quote:
Okay....puppy party at the Post Ranch Inn....we will show those east coast people how to party.........Everybody start saving. Puppy party in May at the Post Ranch Inn.
Sounds fun!

Quote:
There is nothing more spectacular then staying at the private house at the Post Ranch Inn. It is on a cliff and the bedroom looks right out over the Pacific Ocean. It is amazing. Very rustic and simple but the view/location/simple is beyond jaw dropping. And lunch at Nepenthe on the deck...well, that is just heaven on earth. Sigh. Ok, now I am totally homesick ladies!!!
Awww...perhaps you can go visit soon.

Quote:
Sandi, I was kidding. We stayed at the Post Ranch Inn once...when it was brand new. Every thing was divine, every detail. It cost a fortune, but not as much as today...even considering inflation.

We have also rented a private house on the cliff overlooking the ocean and above the fog. That was so good that we did it twice. Not nearly as expensive as either of the famous inns...oh and we could walk to the fabulous restaurant at the Ventana Inn.

Yes, Hilton Head is much more affordable...even with airfare.
Sounds divine!

Quote:
When we travel I use AirBnB.com to rent houses. I like it much better than hotels and I do think it gives you a true 'local' experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
How is the pricing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
We did that road in 2011 when we went to Napa Valley. Awesome views but exhausting when you are driving. We stayed overnight in San Luis Obispo. Very nice hotel and affordable. We saw the elephant seals but I realized to late there was the Hearst Castle and we could not do it, would have taken to much time. But we intend to return to see the Castle. I need to keep some information from this thread to see some wineries in that area. We were disappointed by Santa Barbara.
My drive will be 3.5-4 hours so not too bad. As for Heast Castle, they have three different tours which costs $25/person for each tour and each tour lasts 45mins which includes the bus ride of 15 mins. Seems a little costly for what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Some pictures of the road. We loved it.

Attachment 107241

Attachment 107249

Attachment 107257
Nice view!! Can't wait!!
SweetMalteseAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I think you have an excellent plan. Lot's of nature's best offerings. Crab is in season right now...oh yum.

Now, the big bulls can be dangerous, they mostly fight with each other, but you don't want to get close. Besides which, they are uuuuggglly. But the big bulls are in the center of the herd to dominate, while the young ladies tend to stay around the periphery where the big belligerent bulls won't bother them.That is how I befriended her. It is an experience I will forever hold dear.

Have a great time...and take warm clothes...as I recall Pismo beach is the coldest place on earth...or was that San Francisco?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I think you have an excellent plan. Lot's of nature's best offerings. Crab is in season right now...oh yum.

Now, the big bulls can be dangerous, they mostly fight with each other, but you don't want to get close. Besides which, they are uuuuggglly. But the big bulls are in the center of the herd to dominate, while the young ladies tend to stay around the periphery where the big belligerent bulls won't bother them.That is how I befriended her. It is an experience I will forever hold dear.

Have a great time...and take warm clothes...as I recall Pismo beach is the coldest place on earth...or was that San Francisco?
Thanks! Hmmmm...California can't be the coldest place on the WHOLE earth but I'm sure that it will be cold for a southern Californian such as myself...keke.
SweetMalteseAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement