Does Anyone else think this is super cool? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy
Default Does Anyone else think this is super cool?

I'mgoing to be traveling (with Lucy) across country this (and hopefully every) summer. I bought the Lookout Booster seat (large) and I think that's going to work for the travel. But I was looking for some kind of crate or something that I could use for when I have to leave the car. Of course, I won't be leaving her in the car for any length of time, especially if/when it's hot, but I WILL need to eat SOMETHING and use the bathroom, stop at convenience stores now and then, etc. I wouldn't want to leave her in the carseat, because I'm afraid she'll try to jump out of it if I leave the car. (Hopefully, she will eventually get USED to travel and my leaving the car for short periods of time, but in the meantime I wanted to find a way to keep her safe). Anyway, I came across THIS and thought it was really interesting. Anybody ever seen one of these? I'm thinking on the road trip home it would really be great because I won't have my granddaughter's car seat, and I could expand it the whole length of the backseat. Any thoughts?
Motor Trend Pet Tube Car Kennel by PetEgo - Collapsible Dog Kennel for Cars, Trucks & SUV
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

Hmm...I would think Lucy would be uncomfortable in it. I think just a car seat, crash tested harness, or secured kennel would be best. Or are you just thinking of using that only when you leave the car for a few minutes? If she would only be in it when you use the restroom, I think it would work fine but I don't know if it is totally necessary. When I travel with my two, I either keep them clipped in the car seat (with the tether shortened so they can't climb out) or I let them roam around the car freely while I use the restroom. I never stop to eat (just go to a drive-thru) because I don't feel comfortable leaving them in the car longer than 5 minutes.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

When I'm alone traveling with Tyler and have to stop somewhere I just put him in a pocketbook kind of carrier like a Kwiggy Bo or other type of bag and take him with me. I'm petrified of someone breaking in to steal a dog. I have a couple that look like big bags and no one knows I have a dog in it if there's a food area that wouldn't allow dogs, like at rest areas.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Yeah it would just be when I leave the car. The idea of shortening the strap that attaches her car harness to the seat belt is good. She's a little big to go in a purse type carrier. I was looking for a travel crate that she could go in when I leave the car. I honestly think she would feel more secure being moved into a crate of some kind rather than left in the car seat. Not sure why I think I can read her mind...but when I leave the house I always put her in her xpen, when we go to sleep, she goes in her crate...just sort of move her to her own little safe place until I get back. When my husband and drove across country with our other two dogs we mostly ate in the car or found picnic spots, but once or twice we ate fast food inside when we found a place with a table where we could see the car. Was thinking if I'm making this trip a lot, Miss Lucy might be ok with that kind of stop eventually if she feels secure in her own little place.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

For food and snacks, I pack a cooler and eat in the car with them or at a rest area picnic table. When I need to use the restroom, I leave the car running with the a/c or heat on (use the remote start feature for this) and keep them buckled into their car seats.

I have the lookout booster seat too and it works perfectly for this. We do this several times a year, usually in the summer, and have not problem at all with this. Our longest trip is about 8 hours one way so we've got that routine down pat!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks for the tips. We will be traveling across country and it will take closer to 27 hours. Probably broken up into 3 or more days since I don't like to drive at night. Hoping Lucy becomes a seasoned car traveler. Otherwise I'll have to try flying. Not sure she will love that either. I think she will adapt. I think she trusts me enough to try something new. On the way there it will be July but we will drive home in September so hopefully not so hot.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Are you traveling alone?

Once it starts getting into the high 70s, low 80s - it will not be safe to leave her in the car even for 5 minutes. It will just get too hot. Temps rise in cars much faster than we think. July will be way too hot to leave her in the car!

Maybe finding a backpack carrier that she will fit in that you could take her in with you?

If you aren't going to be alone.... I'd suggest one of you always stay in the car with her.

For extended trips - make sure you give her time to stretch her legs... Even if it's a 5 minute walk around a rest stop.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I am definitely not traveling alone in July on the way there--I'll have my granddaughter AND my husband with me. They are flying back home though, and I am staying in Michigan through Labor Day. I would never leave her in the car alone in the heat--even for a minute. On the way back, I'm hoping to have my friend driving with me, although I could be alone if she can't make it. Although, I do have other options--my son could drive with me too perhaps. (It's a little easier to get somebody to make the drive home with you when "home" is Las Vegas. If I do end up alone, and I end up driving through hot weather in September, I'll have a soft-sided kennel with me and I'll just lug her into the bathroom with me. Heck, at rest sstops I can probably just bring her with her leash into the stall. She always follows me into the bathroom at home.
My guess is that the backseat tube kennel doesn't impress anybody else? I thought it looked kind of cool, but you all probably have more experience with little dogs than I do. My previous dogs were small, but edging toward "medium" sized (19 and 26 pounds...).
Also, I find that the longer I have dogs, the more I learn.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if I might be better off trying to get Lucy used to flying instead. I purposely "picked" a dog that I thought would be small enough to travel by air with me, but those dimensions that are approved for air travel seem awfully small to me. Lucy weighs 9.5 pounds and she's kind of tall--I think 11 inches at the shoulder? (Can't really remember). I just don't see how she could fit in an under-seat kennel of the size they require. Maybe I just need to grit my teeth and buy one and check it out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement