Frugal Tips & Tricks - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaylla
Dog's Name: Khloee

LOL I'm like Shelly, I've always been frugal, and still am when it comes to myself...but Khloee, well lets just say my credit card bill has a lot more Khloee charges than Kaylla charges :P
Gongjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I have always had taste above my means. Even as a teenager. How I cope is to have a lot less...but have high quality stuff. My car is a 1985 Mercedes 380 SL. It costs less to maintain in perfect running condition than payments on a moderately priced new car. I can't tell you how many times the power and handling have saved me from an accident with some idiot. I love my car.
I have a Miele vacuum, yes it was expensive, but not as expensive as the three miserable, heavy monsters that died. This one does everything it is supposed to do, quietly. I expect that I will never have to buy another vacuum cleaner.
My sheets are made in Italy. I only have one set, well now I have two. They are expensive, but they are glorious and last for five year with continuous use.
I am really a big proponent of buying the best. Doing with out. Having less, but having good stuff.
I recently bought a new coffee maker. The average life span of my coffee makers was four years...but they were flawed. This time I layed out the big bucks and got a Technivore. It makes the best coffee ever.
But I shopped for the best deal. That's what I do, I shop and shop and shop for the best deal on the best stuff. I prefer quality to quantity any day. From clothes to furniture. The addage "you get what you pay for" isn't always true. You can buy something that costs a lot...something made by Cuisinart or Kitchenaid and get a piece of junk, but for sure if you buy something cheap, that was made in China, you bought something that will only contribute to the land fill and the pollution of our precious earth. My take on being frugal is: buy the best the first time. Buy less. Do without.

I never buy anything at full retail. I search and find great deals on e=bay, Amazon and Neiman Marcus on line. It is amazing what good prices for first quality merchandise you can get from Neiman Marcus.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

I definately am frugal by nature! Being the youngest of 8 children and basically only my Mom supporting us.... it's just seems 'normal' to be penny-wise! ( She had no choice but to do so... yet we were always well provided for) .
Over our early married years we worked hard and saved ...yet did indulge in some lovely vacations.... bought and paid off our home... etc.
Also we took a BIG loss several years ago with the stock market..... thankfully we didn't have all our eggs in one basket, but still..... we learned how it can be 'here today/gone tomorrow'. Now with being 'seniors' and hubby retired and me only working a couple days a week.... and cost of EVERYTHING! going up up up.... well I now feel we are frugal by necessity as well.

One way we have saved a lot is hubby always buys his cars 'used'... usually only 1 year old so the depreciation has already kicked in.... he sells his existing car on his own... ( get better return than turning it in).
For me I have a real OLD car... I love it...it 'fits' me! LOL Hubby is always trying to get me to 'move-up' but I'm keeping it till it no longer runs! LOL

I've made my own pee pads for Quincy... so easy and they've held up beautifully! Better for environment and certainly for our 'pocketbook'.
I buy 99% of my books from local thrift shop... often buy my clothes there as well...especially for work. Even bought a few odds and end furniture which I refinished for a song.
When I do in fact go clothes shopping I first head for the clearance racks LOL

I shop weekly grocery sales and as others said CVS has some great 'rewards' as well as good weekly sales which we take advantage of.

Years ago we bought 3 fuel tanks... we fill up once a year..usually in summer when prices are lowest... plus we get a 'bulk' discount. With prices of fuel these days...it helps a lot!! We also invested in split ductless AC/heat unit.... Already saw BIG saving on electric bill when using the AC this past summer. The heat portion also great for those chilly days in spring/fall ... but in dead of winter we do need the regular furnace running.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

Well, even if I don't understand everything said here, or live in the US I am learning a lot! Thanks ladies!
I am both frugal by necessity & by nature (grew up in a large family). I use a lot of the ideas mentioned already & like Sylie, I do w/out & recycle & buy quality (I have a miele vacumn also). We also have always had a good espresso machine. Some things in life mean more than others! I have no issues w/shopping at consignment or charity shops--in fact it makes me feel good when I do! I have to think long & hard about any purchase. I really do not enjoy eating out at all--not just the $$ but I don't usually like the quality of the food. We sometimes splurge on a "nice" place. I do make everything at home from scratch usually. I buy fresh & quality ingredients.
On the other hand I love to give to others, especially our daughters. I am always thinking of saving on something so I can splurge on something for them. I am not much of an impulse buyer.
We also spend extra on the people we work with---another source of joy for us.
We, too, took a beating in the financial crisis--like everyone else we know, but my motto is always "hey, it is just money." My best friends always say that is one thing they always think about when they think of me! If I am going to worry about something I want it to be important! So not only am I frugal w/money but w. my worries, my time and thoughts! OK, I admit it---I am stinkin' frugal.
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

See how not frugal i am, I had to research the Miele Vacumm. I'm always looking for tools to clean with.!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
See how not frugal i am, I had to research the Miele Vacuum. I'm always looking for tools to clean with.!!

Debbie, even my most frugal of all frugality daughters just bought a used Miele vacuum cleaner!
"Wag more Bark less"
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Oh now I have to look up that vacuum cleaner lol! I love the idea of saving up for the best instead of having to constantly replace inferior products. I am a Gemini so the waiting to save up is always hard for me. I am VERY impulsive...just cheap .

Terry ~ it sounds like you guys have made so wonderful choice in frugality....I need to look up the AC unit info. Our house is quite small, but not very well insulated and not the quality of materials that we had at a previous home. We have to be careful not to over-invest in upgrades to this property, because we may not see a very good return on the investment. I hope to one day live at the beach, so I always have that in the back of my mind lol. I drive a Toyota Yaris. It is tiny but excellent on fuel. It is becoming more challenging now though. I have 2 nephews (and another niece or nephew due this summer) that I pick up from school a couple of times a week. Getting the kids in and out of the car is challenging and I'm not sure how a baby seat is even going to work! Another car isn't in the budget, so I guess it will all just have to work out.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post

Debbie, even my most frugal of all frugality daughters just bought a used Miele vacuum cleaner!
Upright or canister??

Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We both have a canister---actually I have two---one here & one in the US!
OK, I admit it, I could not part w/it when we moved back to the US so use it on a reverse transformer---how is that for being frugal!
I also have an up-right Kenmore in the US---don't even ask!
"Wag more Bark less"
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ok I should never read a post about being frugal..
While looking up a Vacumm, that really don't

need, I also saw this.

Miele Rotary Iron - Bed Bath & Beyond

Being frugal is really hard!!! LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement