So mad and shaking right now! Me and Cici were attacked again - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
I would still me shaking! I rarely take mine on the street either...I would teach your baby to use potty pads...you can get them at Walgreens..a package of 50 is only 9.99...they work for me and I have 3. I take mine out in the stroller zipped up and I have my deck fenced in with a canopy over it. They can still be outside and get fresh air and sunshine..all 3 of mine are 4-5 pounds, so are tiny...I have had some close calls, too..I am not willing to take another chance...
She is potty trained and goes on the pads most of the time, but I like to take her out every day for some fresh air, so I take her to the front yard and let her sniff around for a while and go potty if she needs to. Our porch is on the side of the house, and it's narrow and long beside the house, we sometimes spend time there but Cici loves grass so our favorite place was the front yard, since all our back yard is pure concrete .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbeme View Post
Nora is there a reason you guys can't put up a fence? We can't because we are renting
I don't think it is possible to build a fence on our property because of the way it is and our house is.. This neighborhood doesn't have side walks, it's just property and a downward curb where the water can run down the street, and then the street. And the driveway is right next to the front garden and it is always busy since we have 3 vehicles (or more when company stays over) that come in and out at different times, i'm sure the gate (if even possible to build here) would be left open most of the time . Our property isn't very large, the house is pretty close to the street, so the front yard isn't even that big. In Mexico we do have a gate because the property is larger and the house is not as close to the street, and we already had brick walled fence to hold up the doors.
Here we do have a small fence in the front of the garden, but it just goes from one end of where our property starts, to where the garden ends and the mailbox is, so it stops right where the driveway starts. So don't can't come straight through the garden from the street, but it is obviously very easy to just go around and enter through the driveway .

I reported the dog and owner to animal control, and they just came to give him a warning since nothing more happened. I don't feel like this makes me any safer because from my past experiences owners have ignored the warnings. There is a leash law in my area, that all dogs must be kept on leash. Sometimes I feel like putting a note and a leash in all my neighbors' mailboxes! Maybe if they get a free leash they'll use it .

The other incidents with the pit bulls and my sister's Yorkie happened over a year ago, and since then I was terrified to even go out myself for a walk or a bike ride (and that was before I had Cici). Then things calmed down, and I started to feel a little safer, the street was peaceful again, no more kids crying because the big dog chased them either (happened too, but they didn't get hurt). But now it's all coming back so I'm back to being fearful.
I will not take out Cici here anymore, and I feel bad for that because she needs to get some exercise and explore the outside... I'll just have to wait until her daddy comes home so he can be our body guard, or take her to the park for walks (with her daddy accompanying us too of course, just in case).

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Nora, I know how you feel about wanting to walk her. It's so healthy, you gotta take her out. Try a stroller and carry pepper spray for yourself. You can push the stoller while she walks too. but it's there quick if you need it.
Luckily here all the big dogs have moved away over the last few months .. YEA! I had letters sent to all the big dog owners in area. they all let them roam in yards, so we asked animal control to send letters. some were mad, but whatever. they do watch them close and most are leashed up now, no more wandering in the street like before. the big bad ones have all moved away. we had 2 pits, a chow chow, couple big pit mixes, and the bad lab that got Sammie.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default So mad and shaking right now! Me and Cici were attacked again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
Nora, I know how you feel about wanting to walk her. It's so healthy, you gotta take her out. Try a stroller and carry pepper spray for yourself. You can push the stoller while she walks too. but it's there quick if you need it.
Luckily here all the big dogs have moved away over the last few months .. YEA! I had letters sent to all the big dog owners in area. they all let them roam in yards, so we asked animal control to send letters. some were mad, but whatever. they do watch them close and most are leashed up now, no more wandering in the street like before. the big bad ones have all moved away. we had 2 pits, a chow chow, couple big pit mixes, and the bad lab that got Sammie.
That's a good idea about the stroller, didn't think about that. My mother keeps telling me to just take a stick with me, but I can't see that being of much help with trying to hold Cici back on the leash while trying to hit the other dog.
What kind of letters did animal control send the neighbors? Was it all neighbors or just the ones you told them had big dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I would get the the stun wand if I were you. Others here carry one.
I had to tell them house nums and they sent a letter saying 'your dog leaves prop unleashed'. You could tell they got them by way some reacted. Dogs are allowed in their own yard unleashed. But if they leave yard that's when I can report. So glad Cici is ok.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
I would get the the stun wand if I were you. Others here carry one.
I had to tell them house nums and they sent a letter saying 'your dog leaves prop unleashed'. You could tell they got them by way some reacted. Dogs are allowed in their own yard unleashed. But if they leave yard that's when I can report. So glad Cici is ok.
I might have to do that if I see more dogs outside. For these days I haven't seen any but I still have not taken Cici outside here.
I'm already looking where to move, it won't be this year but maybe next year hopefully, because what happened today just about did it, it was the last straw. Cici is still ok, well as ok as she can be because now she really can't even see a dog at all, even my sister's Yorkie when he comes in the house she lunges after him like he's a threat but as soon as she gets to him she realizes it's just him, but she's still on her tip toes alert about everything, more than usual.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Oh no. That's so frightening. I can't believe how careless people are and how at risk some of our little ones can be. It's probably safer living here in the big city where basically every dog is on leash unless it's in a dog run and they're split for big and small dogs. I'm hoping you can find a solution.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I am not sure moving is the best solution, because you don't know what you will find in the new neighborhood. I am not saying you should not do it---just a caution that I think it would be wise to also consider other solutions---even if you do end up moving. Maybe you could work w/her in small steps to help her learn to trust again?
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Nora,

Just saw this SO sorry this happened to Cici. You have been working so hard

Honestly, a stroller would help but it won't be enough. If Cici is going nuts in the stroller the other dog will focus on that, and running from a big dog is not advisable.

I think a stroller is a good idea, but I also think pepper spray would be a safe easy and cheap tool for you to have just in case... until you decide if you want something else.

They sell one at Petsmart that's labeled specifically for animals. I don't know how it is different from regular mace.... I got one that I keep clipped to the stroller because we have coyote and wild dogs around here....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janine
Dog's Name: Charlie & Alex at Rainbow Bridge
Send a message via MSN to MalteseJane

I vote for the pepper spray. I have not had a problem here but I know there has been at least one incident because the HOA sends letters out. We have a dog club and both, the HOA and the club tell people that there is a leash law even tho we are a small community. They now put up signs on all the green little parks telling people that dogs have to be leashed at all times. One of my neighbors has a pit mix but he is never out unleashed and frankly he is less aggressive than Charlie. He is a sweetheart. They took him in as a stray. He was in our street and another neighbor gave him something to eat waiting for Animal Control to pick him up. Animal control never showed up and when those other neighbors saw the dog they took him in (they lost their dog some months before). There are a lot of people who come to walk their dog behind our house (it's a small green area with a walkway going to the mail boxes) but they are all leashed. I don't really need to walk Charlie, my yard is big enough for a small dog to get exercise. So we rarely go.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Still Think Of You,And Feel so bad. It"s Sure like being in Prison.
All these post are great--Take your time,it will come to you on which way you go. I's Not Fair to have fear-put into you like that.
It's Happened to me--Not Sure that you get over it. But Will learn to handle it better.
Good Luck--Nickee In Pa*

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 02-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement