C-pap machine - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've been using cpap for the past 2 years. It has made a huge difference in my life. I no longer fall asleep driving and I don't have to take a nap after coming home from work.

To get used to it, I practiced sleeping with just a surgical mask over my face. I use the full face mask. In the 2 years I've had it, I have not missed one night of use. It goes everywhere with me.

Try cpaptalk.com - they have a forum much like here and it's a great place for support.

Good luck!

*edit to correct website forum addy*

Last edited by nonesuchandnadu; 01-24-2013 at 07:37 PM.
nonesuchandnadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia

Thanks for the info on the cpap forum...
nwyant1946 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

I was unable to use the CPAP - it actually woke me up every 45 minutes or so, plus the force of the air dried out my eyes and caused conjunctivitis. I was actually more sleepy with the machine than inhad been before. So after 18 months of pure torture, my dr finally referred me to a dentist for the oral appliance. It doesn't relieve the apnea 100% but I sleep for 3 to 4 hours at a stretch and wake up feeling great in the morning.

I know people who think the machine has been a life saver - hopefully you have that experience!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Diane Kennedy
Dog's Name: Abbie and Sophie at the bridge

I have had a cpac for about 9 years now. I do feel better but lately I haven't been wearing it. My dad I feel had sleep apnea because my mom would tell me the symptoms that are associated with it. He never was tested and later in his years, he had mini strokes, which from what I have read can happen. He later was diagnosed with vascular dementia.

Diane, Abbie, Snowy and my sweet Sophie at the bridge
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elaine
Dog's Name: Dixie Lou at the Bridge, Molly Joanna & Juice aka CH TNT's Queen of Hearts

Nancy, I've been using a Cpap machine since Sept. of last year. I was just over borderline the dr. said. I started out using the smallest nose piece they had. It went around your ears somewhat like an oxygen mask. After a while it bothered my ears. They had included the next smallest too so I tried it and like it. It goes across your head and another strap goes at the back of your head and to your nose where it attaches to the same nose piece as the first one I used. Both straps are adjustable.
The hardest part for me to get used to was not breathing through my mouth. Until I got used to it that woke me up over and over all night. I had to play with the moisture control to get that right as it dried out my throat & I coughed. That's ok now too.
What made up my mind to try it was the doctor telling me if you have a lack of oxygen like that you loose brain cells and never get them back. Never thought of that, of course you would. I can't afford to loose any brain cells.
Good luck, I hope you try it. I do feel better.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

I'm going back on the 12th for a repeat test to measure how much oxygen I need to keep my airways open. I'm afraid to sleep now...I wasn't borderline..I failed miserably.

I'm hoping that this machine will lift the fog I seem to be in all time and allow me to sleep with waking up constantly or, like last night, not sleeping at all. I'm tired of being tired!!

Keep your fingers crossed that my husband makes it home by the 10th or 11th because I will have to re-schedule and I don't want to. Before, I could leave the cats alone all night, but not Mia and I don't know of anyone who can watch her that she would let watch her...not yet anyway.
nwyant1946 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

My cousin had one. I totally changed his life. He would fall asleep in the middle of business meetings. He was a mess. Then he got the machine and it really did open up his life. I think it's great to have some sort of option to combat apnea. It is dangerous.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwyant1946 View Post
I'm going back on the 12th for a repeat test to measure how much oxygen I need to keep my airways open. I'm afraid to sleep now...I wasn't borderline..I failed miserably.

I'm hoping that this machine will lift the fog I seem to be in all time and allow me to sleep with waking up constantly or, like last night, not sleeping at all. I'm tired of being tired!!

Keep your fingers crossed that my husband makes it home by the 10th or 11th because I will have to re-schedule and I don't want to. Before, I could leave the cats alone all night, but not Mia and I don't know of anyone who can watch her that she would let watch her...not yet anyway.
You shouldn't have to be gone all night. Most sleep centers take day appointments too. I'm actually surprised they didn't do a split appointment with you in the first place. Most do this, first half of the test is sleeping, then testing on CPAP to determine the appropriate level. You really shouldn't have to wait that long. Call and see if you can be seen sooner. The CPAP portion of sleep testing is quite quick. And as sleep deprived as you are, you shouldn't have any trouble sleeping at any time. Try to get a day appointment. Other option is to talk to your doctor and simply order you an "Auto-set" CPAP machine. It is able to determine the appropriate level on it's own. Smart machine. You need to get started NOW! O2 sat's of 41 are extremely dangerous. Not trying to scare you, but you need this yesterday.

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

One of my BFF's uses one and SWEARS by it. My DH also used one and it really helped him.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Tilly,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont)
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy4501 View Post
You shouldn't have to be gone all night. Most sleep centers take day appointments too. I'm actually surprised they didn't do a split appointment with you in the first place. Most do this, first half of the test is sleeping, then testing on CPAP to determine the appropriate level. You really shouldn't have to wait that long. Call and see if you can be seen sooner. The CPAP portion of sleep testing is quite quick. And as sleep deprived as you are, you shouldn't have any trouble sleeping at any time. Try to get a day appointment. Other option is to talk to your doctor and simply order you an "Auto-set" CPAP machine. It is able to determine the appropriate level on it's own. Smart machine. You need to get started NOW! O2 sat's of 41 are extremely dangerous. Not trying to scare you, but you need this yesterday.
Pam -- you forget how advanced California is compared to the rest of the country. LOL When they did Jerry's test here in NM, he had to spend 1 entire night at the sleep center. Then he had to go back for another entire night to test the CPAP (VPAP for him). And it took about a month for him to get in for the second appointment.

Why do you think I fly to Irvine for all my cancer treatments, tests, etc.? It's just so much better.