Maltese used to be multi colored !!!! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

I just read this on a web site - it made for interesting reading . Maltese were first seen in the United States in the late 1800's , and were participants in the earliest Westminster Kennel Club shows in the 1870's . There was a period when tan or mottled-colored Maltese were highly regarded . . In fact , the first Maltese registered in the U.S was white with black ears . However , as a sign of things to come the first Maltese exhibited in America was ' solid white ' ( as are all members of the breed today ) . I personally think it would have been totally COOL to have colored Maltese - it's a pity the first breeders got rid of it !!! Sarah
dogloverx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I just read this on a web site - it made for interesting reading . Maltese were first seen in the United States in the late 1800's , and were participants in the earliest Westminster Kennel Club shows in the 1870's . There was a period when tan or mottled-colored Maltese were highly regarded . . In fact , the first Maltese registered in the U.S was white with black ears . However , as a sign of things to come the first Maltese exhibited in America was ' solid white ' ( as are all members of the breed today ) . I personally think it would have been totally COOL to have colored Maltese - it's a pity the first breeders got rid of it !!! Sarah
[/B]

I think so too.....I love the white, but I think I would love them in ANY color!!

Mom to Cooper and Gracie
2maltese4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I think they would be nice in Hmmmmm white with a little grey/silvery colour
jude'n'jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I know - some breeders personal taste was WHITE - so no more colors ( boo hiss ) . Princess Charlotte has a sister that is white with black ears , like the first registered Maltese - she looks adorable just like Snoopy . Imagine a black Maltese - actually Princess Charlotte has a solid black brother , it looks FANTASTIC . Sarah P.S I do like white as well , but multi colors are pretty !!!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I think a black and white maltese would look so cute! If anyone was selling them, id get a new puppy.

www.ForeverFurbaby.com
Pet apparel, pet beds, accessories & more

evie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to waistfull Send a message via Yahoo to waistfull
Wink

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans Ms">Oh I just love the snowy white, but I would also love some color too!</span>

waistfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janet
Dog's Name: Koby (Angel Scooby & Koko)

I think some color variation would be nice too, I love Princess Charlotte's coloring, she is just so pretty
Old 07-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

i guess i'm the oddball here....i absolutely love the pure white. that's one of the reasons i wanted a maltese. don't get me wrong, i think dogs with coloring are beautiful...like charm's waffle... i think he's fantastic! if i were to ever want a dog with coloration, i would get one, but i wanted a white maltese.

Purchasing from backyard breeders, pet shops and puppymills only perpetuates suffering.
Break the cycle and do some good.
Please educate yourself about reputable breeders and rescue organizations.
Do yourself a favor and go about adding your next furry family member the right way.
carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
i guess i'm the oddball here....i absolutely love the pure white. that's one of the reasons i wanted a maltese. don't get me wrong, i think dogs with coloring are beautiful...like charm's waffle... i think he's fantastic! if i were to ever want a dog with coloration, i would get one, but i wanted a white maltese. [/B]
i feel the same i wanted the pure white and i too absolutely love it
however... my donbi has a tint of lemon on her ears and i love it too...
ourdonbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Well that's the thing you would have the choice of white AND color - they only bred out the colored ones since World War 1 - so not that long ago . Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement