Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Albino maltese?

35K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  CollageMom 
#1 ·
I have been perplexed about Molly's features for some time now. She has pale pink eyelids and lips. Her nose is normally pale pink as well but now has a little light brown on it (maybe from sunlight?). Her eyes are a pale green. Molly is just over 6 months old and is healthy.I have been trying to do some research when I discovered the discussion in this group. Molly is absolutely adorable but now I am wondering if it is possible she is an Albino? Is this rare? and are there any related health concerns?

Molly's Mom

Attachments

See less See more
#38 ·
She is darling. :)

I'm pretty sure she is not albino, though, which is a good thing because albinos require a bit more care in protecting them from light. It looks like she is just really lacking pigment, probably due to poor genetics. I am not 100% certain, but I think it would be wise to protect her somewhat from the sun so she doesn't get sunburned on her nose. Maybe your vet could suggest whether or not she will need any special sun protection?

#40 ·
Hey everyone, my little Clara also has the pink features and dark green eyes. I got her from a family who were too busy with their 4 children, and they couldn't take care of her like they wanted. They told me she's a maltipoo, if that is true, she has more maltese than poodle in her blood! I got her a month and a half before her 1st birthday, and she turns 2 at the end of this month. I have never seen another dog that has the same features, so I was shocked when I stumbled upon this thread! Here are a couple pictures of my Clara!! :)

#41 ·
Molly is just a doll! Such a cute little face :) She is not albino though (which is a good thing!) she's just lacking the dark pigment that Malts are famous for. I would recommend you have her checked out by an experienced vet though - just to make sure there are no underlying conditions that could be related to lack in pigmentation. Thanks for posting pics of your little love bug! She's just too cute!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.