Kim and my Sookie - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
kym

Name: kim
Dog's Name: sookie
Smile Kim and my Sookie

Hi, I am Kim. Learning much by lurking. I have completely spoiled my baby and she is 16 weeks. OMG. Gotta bring it back some. So....question to who would be kind enough to answer. Not sure where to post but I will be happy to post where suggested.

I have made a baby monster. She will only eat Grilled Chicken..Sometimes carrots but they have to be steamed. Some cheese in which I put the angel glow in for tear stain.

Snacks are - Nutro crunch treats - different flavors - she like to chew on Bentleys rawhide -

Will not eat blue buffalo anymore - wet or dry

I know she is not getting the nutritional values she needs. I will happily fix anything for her but dang....What is the baby going to eat. Doesn't like apples for sure.

Loves dirt, dead leaves, limbs, bugs - I have a baby goat.

But......I love her so much

Thanks in advance

Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Kim and my Sookie-1.jpg   Kim and my Sookie-2012-09-019519.47.33.jpg   Kim and my Sookie-2012-09-029519.33.34.jpg   Kim and my Sookie-2012-09-039520.24.15.jpg   Kim and my Sookie-img955203.jpg  

Kim and my Sookie-img957651.jpg  
Attached Images

kym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle
Dog's Name: Maisie Rose

Welcome to SM. Your baby girl is just precious!!!!!! Love all the pics too.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Katie
Dog's Name: Charlie

Hello Kim and Sookie and welcome to SM.
Sookie is such a little doll....so cute.

To yor question - Maltese are such a picky breed....my Charlie's 3 years no and we still struggle few tomes a week during the dinner time.
You did the same mistake like many parents do - you taught her to eat the yummy peole's food and now she's spoiled and won't eat the healthy but boring dry food.
The human food is not recommended for dogs. I'm not a professional, but I would get her the quality dog food for picky eaters - the royal Canine for Yorkies works for us and also Fromm food (pork version)....add some warm water to the granules, so they are more aromatic and soft.
Also do not give her any treats during the day, so she is hungry at the dinner time.
Do not get discouraged, if she won't eat much...eventually she should get used to it. I know many people are against the use of a wet dog food as a rouse, but you can try it - add just a little to fool your girl with a nice smell.
You can also find more tips and various posts at the home page of this site at the Food & Nutrition section.

Good luck with your little princess and welcome again.

Katie & Charlie

Charlie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Hey kym and snookie welcome. My daisy is 4 months I said from word go wouldn't give her human food but that doesn't count when others do!!! I use royal canine. Try her on it also we give daisy treats but break them up into bits so she actually only eats maybe one treat a day!! We use them for training like toilet sitting and heal but reward good behaviour that way too. We then way her food in accordance to the weight of the treat. Stick at it an don't give in to the puppy eye look that she will give it will mean she won't beg for food etc. or alternatively hard I know but we give daisy her dinner when we have ours and put her in tr utility room just off the kitchen. Separate her from the smell. Hope maybe this helps.
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

If you are using kibble, use a very good quality such as Fromm. I've found that adding warm water and letting it sit for about 5 minutes before giving it to them took care of any pickiness at mealtime. Apparently it releases some of the aroma and makes it more tempting. Adding water also ensures that your fluff will get enough hydration since kibble is dry.

I also a rolled dog food for their evening meal to add some variety and they love that.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
kym

Name: kim
Dog's Name: sookie

Thanks for the advice. Will try different food. Yep, I made the mistake. Have a great Thursday
kym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Did you try to give her another variety of Blue Buffalo??? They have a good number of other varieties to choose from. Your little one is adorable and welcome to SM.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

I just switched Ozzie from Blue Buffalo to Fromm since he wouldn't eat the life source bits, and would often not finish his meals Ever since switching him to Fromm (our newest rescue, Lisa, came with a big bag of it!), he eats ALL his food and in a few minutes compared to the 10-15 minutes it would take before!!

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I've tricked Leila into thinking she's getting a treat when I use her kibble as rewards for performing her tricks she's learned in class. Most of the time, I don't have a hard time with her not eating from her bowl. But occasionally, she doesn't seem to have as much of an appetite. So, I use those days to really practice her tricks.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mane
Dog's Name: Sasha (7/14/99) & Lola Pink (9/20/10)

Maltese are known for being very picky eaters. Lola was impossible!!! She wouldn't eat anything and I would walk around the house trying to get her to eat a little because I felt terrible leaving her for the day and going to work. When Lola arrived Sasha was on a home cooked diet but Lola was a puppy and needed more vitamins and calories. So I tried several dry kibble and puppy can formulas. None that she would eat for more than 2 or 3 days. Then a member told me about Tiki canned dog food it was heaven sent! She actually enjoyed eating it. But there FAVORITE is Stella and Chewy's freeze dried. They absolutely love it! Now we are on tiki dog in the am and stella in the pm. I change up the formulas so they dont get bored and also add brown rice, veggies and a protein once in a while.

I hope you find a solution soon! I know how hard it could be to think they are malnourished!

S&LP'S Mommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement