Looking into getting a Maltese - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Furbabies mom's Avatar
 
Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 13,581
Default

Even if kids are gentle, they're still kids! They run jump, and rough house, that's just how they are I don't think you would want to be constantly telling the kids to stop running or jumping and watch the dog!! It can be stressful, plus kids are always in activities in and out of school. You can't always take your dog with you, so that means puppy is left at home. Maltese are wonderful, but I waited until my kids were older to get my first Maltese. They take a lot of maintenance and love to be with their person. I would not of been able to devote the time to the dog's if I would of had them when my kids were young.
__________________
Deborah and my Fluffs, Laurel, Violet , Hardy and Dewey!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Just A Girl's Avatar
 
Name: Jojo
Dog's Name: Daisy & Cupcake
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
It really depends on how gentle your children are. I've been around toddlers who are Maltese-safe and I've been around older kids who are just too wild and would make a Maltese nervous. And I agree about no matter how gentle your kids are, their friends would require a lot of supervision.

If I were you, I would look into a breed that is a little calmer and sturdier--have you considered a Bichon Frise?
Great post! Couldn't have said it better!
__________________
Just A Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
pippersmom's Avatar
 
Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

When my grandchildren are here playing and running around, Pipper just wants to run and play with them. He loves kids so much, but when things get a little too wild, I end up putting him in his crate because I'm so worried he will get hurt and he's even a good size (12 lbs) and not nearly as fragile as a 4 or 5 lb malt. Then he sits there looking so sad because he just wants to be "one of the kids".
As for temperment and personality, maltese are the best!!!!!
__________________

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Peetle's Mom's Avatar
 
Name: Teresa
Dog's Name: Peetle, & Mae West!
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeysmom View Post
It really depends on how gentle your children are. I've been around toddlers who are Maltese-safe and I've been around older kids who are just too wild and would make a Maltese nervous. And I agree about no matter how gentle your kids are, their friends would require a lot of supervision.

If I were you, I would look into a breed that is a little calmer and sturdier--have you considered a Bichon Frise?

This is my suggestion, too. That, or a mix of the two, or maybe a mix of Maltese and something else larger and more sturdy. Kids may mean well, but a broken leg is a broken leg, no matter how many times a kid says " I didn't mean it".
Peetle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
StevieB's Avatar
 
Name: Celeta
Dog's Name: Steve (a rescue)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,098
Default

Hi, Fuzzy Wuzzy! My kids are young also, 6, 7, & 9 so I can relate. I'll tell you this, if you're the one home with the dog, it will be your dog and he/she will most likely bond with you the most. So make sure it's what YOU want. Malts are HIGH MAINTENANCE. Make sure you're up for it. My guy didn't come to us as a puppy, but as a nearly 1 year old from a rescue. He is not crazy about my kids, especially my son who is high energy and wound tight, I think he makes him nervous. He tolerates them fine, but he's not their biggest fan. It may be different if you get them as a puppy. He's also 12 lbs which is a good size, I would not want any smaller with young children. You know your kids best, but just go in with your eyes wide open. Some of the problems I can foresee is that when kids are little, they'll "fight" over the dog, this can be scary and dangerous for a little pup. They will also want to carry it around everywhere because it's so small. True malts, like the ones you get from a reputable breeder, are tiny and delicate. Bichons are great for families with children. And please don't buy a puppy from a pet store or flea market or off the internet or from a backyard breeder. But all that said, I love my Stevie Boy and I wouldn't trade him for the world! But if I was truly looking for a dog for my kids to enjoy, a maltese would not be my first choice.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newbie
 
courtney d'anne's Avatar
 
Name: Courtney D'Anne
Dog's Name: Tiffany & Bimini
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Tennessee
Posts: 44
Default

I have a two year old little boy who is around three malts daily. I teach him they are off limits just like the breakables on the end tables. When other kids come over he's the one telling them no no don't touch. We do have a lab though that he plays with and is his protector. I think it works for us because he doesn't know life without a Maltese and he will be an only child. I know he is a boy and is a kid so even though he is too little to understand when he does attempt to touch them I give him the entire spill about why he can't anyway. Maybe by the time he is old enough to understand it'll be drilled into his head why not to. Maybe you could check your local shelter and see what they might have available to match your family well.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
courtney d'anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
Charlie'sMom's Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Dog's Name: Charlie
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 491
Default

Hello and welcome to SM :-).
It's great to see the future pet owner doing the research before buying.
I'm going to be honest and say I do not think a Maltese is a breed for your household right now.
It's a high maintenance and extremely fragile breed. Most of the breeders won't even consider families with small kids when placing their puppies.

It's fantastic when kids have an opportunity to grow up with a loving animal, but I would do a bit more research and get the bigger breed.
Maltese are cute, but they are not the toys - that's what kids think and even though I love the kids, I would not recommend this breed.
Also small breeds generally are not as tolerant as bigger breeds and will attack the kids when handled the wrong way.
My Charlie does not like the kids and all 4 of my friends, who have the Malts as well agreee on this - their Malts do NOT like the small kids at all.
Malts are a high-maintenance breed - their coats need to be groomed every few weeks plus a daily brushing is a must. They're loving dogs, but needy - always need to be around, to be the center of attention - they get jealous easy.
In your case I would consider a bigger and more sturdy breed. The bigger breed, the bigger tolerance on the dog's side.

I hope you won't get mad at me for writing this. I just wanted to be honest.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
Who says Malteses are supposed to sit on a fancy couch all day long?
What about a lil' digging in Mommy's garden instead?




Last edited by Charlie'sMom; 11-13-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Charlie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
bellaratamaltese's Avatar
 
Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Valley, California
Posts: 12,711
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie'sMom View Post
Hello and welcome to SM :-).
It's great to see the future pet owner doing the research before buying.
I'm going to be honest and say I do not think a Maltese is a breed for your household right now.
It's a high maintenance and extremely fragile breed. Most of the breeders won't even consider families with small kids when placing their puppies.

It's fantastic when kids have an opportunity to grow up with a loving animal, but I would do a bit more research and get the bigger breed.
Maltese are cute, but they are not the toys - that's what kids think and even though I love the kids, I would not recommend this breed.
Also small breeds generally are not as tolerant as bigger breeds and will attack the kids when handled the wrong way.
My Charlie does not like the kids and all 4 of my friends, who have the Malts as well agreee on this - their Malts do NOT like the small kids at all.
Malts are a high-maintenance breed - their coats need to be groomed every few weeks plus a daily brushing is a must. They're loving dogs, but needy - always need to be around, to be the center of attention - they get jealous easy.
In your case I would consider a bigger and more sturdy breed. The bigger breed, the bigger tolerance on the dog's side.

I hope you won't get mad at me for writing this. I just wanted to be honest.

I would agree with this except her kids are older and are the same age as my kids when we got our first maltese. If the OP can trust her kids to behave in an age appropriate way, than it should not be a problem. If the OP is planning on having more children, then that is definitely something she should consider but in general, her kids should be old enough to be trusted to behave appropriately with a small breed dog.

These statements also I don't think have a 'one size fits all' answer

They're loving dogs, but needy - always need to be around, to be the center of attention - they get jealous easy.

In my experience, I haven't really found this to be the norm. It depends on individual temperament. I think I only have one that needs to be the center of attention and she just is a happy fool.

Also small breeds generally are not as tolerant as bigger breeds and will attack the kids when handled the wrong way.

Again, in my experience, I have not found this to be true. I think it could be said that SOME small breed dogs will attack when handled the wrong way but my maltese are around kids a lot and you can definitely tell when they are approaching the end of their limit. And if they are forced to go past that limit, that is MY fault for not intervening in time, not the child's (assuming we are talking younger than 7 and assuming it's just normal play)

I'm not trying to be ornery, I swear! I just am glad that I was not talked out of getting a maltese because of the ages of my children. My now 13 year old has already done a lot for this breed and for the third year in a row, will be the only junior handler at Westminster and Eukanuba showing a maltese. Our breed needs to be represented

As as I said in a previous post, in this case, finding the right puppy from the right breeder will be the most important thing.

One thing that helped when we got our first maltese puppy is that it was clear it was MY dog, not theirs so there was no arguing over who got to hold/play with it. And I never let them take Lucy to their rooms when they had friends over. I don't have to worry about that now, thank goodness!
__________________


Last edited by bellaratamaltese; 11-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.
bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hidden Valley, CA
Posts: 9,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaratamaltese View Post
I would agree with this except her kids are older and are the same age as my kids when we got our first maltese. If the OP can trust her kids to behave in an age appropriate way, than it should not be a problem. If the OP is planning on having more children, then that is definitely something she should consider but in general, her kids should be old enough to be trusted to behave appropriately with a small breed dog.

These statements also I don't think have a 'one size fits all' answer

They're loving dogs, but needy - always need to be around, to be the center of attention - they get jealous easy.

In my experience, I haven't really found this to be the norm. It depends on individual temperament. I think I only have one that needs to be the center of attention and she just is a happy fool.

Also small breeds generally are not as tolerant as bigger breeds and will attack the kids when handled the wrong way.

Again, in my experience, I have not found this to be true. I think it could be said that SOME small breed dogs will attack when handled the wrong way but my maltese are around kids a lot and you can definitely tell when they are approaching the end of their limit. And if they are forced to go past that limit, that is MY fault for not intervening in time, not the child's (assuming we are talking younger than 7 and assuming it's just normal play)

I'm not trying to be ornery, I swear! I just am glad that I was not talked out of getting a maltese because of the ages of my children. My now 13 year old has already done a lot for this breed and for the third year in a row, will be the only junior handler at Westminster and Eukanuba showing a maltese. Our breed needs to be represented

As as I said in a previous post, in this case, finding the right puppy from the right breeder will be the most important thing.

One thing that helped when we got our first maltese puppy is that it was clear it was MY dog, not theirs so there was no arguing over who got to hold/play with it. And I never let them take Lucy to their rooms when they had friends over. I don't have to worry about that now, thank goodness!
I respect your opinion, because it is based on experience and knowledge. One thing that I know is that your children are respectful, gentle and sensitive, because you do not spoil them.

A Malt can be the best love bug a child could know. I just want to make sure that Mommy wants the puppy just as much. I have seen so many children want a puppy, but Mom ends up with all the responsibility. I have seen moms give in to kids, kids forget all about the dog...but mom falls in love and has a pet she never expected to love so much.

Or...neglected dogs that nobody has time for.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
CorkieYorkie's Avatar
 
Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,455
Default

All good posts here... it is something you really have to think about in regards of how gentle the kids can be... ESPECIALLY with a Maltese puppy. My boss was telling me when him and his wife and son (when he was young) were thinking about a Malt but opted for a Bichon Frise instead since Maltese were so fragile and his son was very young at the time.

That being said, I have two 2-3 year old rescue Maltese that are about 7lbs each and I plan on having kids someday soon (about 3-5 yrs from now) and obviously I'm not going to get rid of my furbabies nor will I prolong my dream to have kids, so I will have to teach them at a VERY young age to treat my dogs with respect and to be gentle, which honestly, I am nervous about! But I know it can be done, with the right parenting and the right kids!! So I would say do your homework and the decision will come to you
__________________

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum