Looking into getting a Maltese - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking into getting a Maltese

Hello! My three children (7, 7 & 9) have their hearts set on getting a Maltese puppy. We have never owned a dog before and would love any tips or feedback you have. We live in the Northeast. Thank you!
Fuzzywuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

Welcome to the Spoiled Maltese!! My name is Abby and I have 2 Maltese --or Malts as they are refered to here. My furbabies are 3 and 6 years old. A malt is a WONDERFUL little dog but they are somewhat fragile. They need almost constant grooming and their hair can defeat the most experienced groomer or Mommie. They are never outside dogs and can be stubborn about potty training. With small children, the Malt needs to be carefully observed so that play doesn't become to hard or dangerous--dropping, falling off the couch or bed, etc.. I would whole heartily recommend a Maltese for a family who has older children and one that can devote as much time and attention to the dog as it truly needs. You decide and if you decide to get a maltese, you will be amazed at the amount of love they give back.
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Children just adore my little girl. When we are out they swoon over her and my niece an nephew love her.
However, children love them because they are sweet, pretty little dogs. They do not understand how much work and expense is involved. I am retired and have time to devote to them. Some people can manage, but I could not manage a job, a home, 3 children and a high maintenance dog.
Many breeders won't even place a dog in a home with young children.
So, I think the question is do YOU want a Maltese? If you cannot say that you want one as much as the children do, then you should not get it, because the dog will (I hope) still be there when the kids are teens and have no time for him.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hello there Malteses are the most special dogs anyone can have i have 2 beautiful girls , but also extremely fragile so you would have to take that into consideration with young children

Anna
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Hi and welcome! My kids were 7 and 8 when I got my first maltese and it honestly changed our lives!

I do agree with Sylvia's question, do YOU want a maltese? Keep in mind this breed usually tends to bond with the person they spend the most time with. That doesn't mean he/she won't engage with your kids, but they do have their favorites!

The most important thing is finding the 'right' puppy. Take your time and look through the threads on this forum about finding a good breeder.

I think you will love having a maltese. Getting my first maltese changed my life more than I could ever have imagined. This is how getting our first puppy changed the life of my whole family

Lucy at 7 mos with my son and daughter (age 7 and 8)

Fast forward almost 7 years and this is my daughter at age 13 with Lucy, our first maltese. They show in Junior Showmanship and have done very well. My son is not interested in showing but my daughter and I have a great time going to dog shows almost every weekend.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I know some breeders are hesitant placing puppies in homes with children but if you think your kids would be responsible, then I would communicate that.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Katkoota
Dog's Name: Snowy & Crystal
Send a message via Yahoo to Katkoota

Hi and welcome to SM!!

Sent from Kat's iPhone

Snowy & Crystal R in Youtube. Click here for their videos
Skittles & Thalj the lovebirds
the family's pink boy, Dante.
Katkoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

We've had so many dogs (and cats) over the years and I have to say that my little Malt is my favorite of all. I am glad that I waited until after my kids were grown though. My son may not have been gentle enough...he's hardly gentle enough for my liking at 22. My daughter would've been fine for her. BUT what would really worry me is all the friends who visited. I know they would've wanted to play with Leila too and I would've been on pins and needles that she would get hurt. Not that any of them would purposely hurt her, but she likes to try to jump from your arms at the blink of an eye if she sees something that interests her and I don't think the children would've been cautious enough. Another thing is getting stepped on because she likes to get under your feet sometimes. One more thing is what if they put her up on the couch with them and she jumped off and cause her patella to slip? I'm just trying to give you some things to consider before making your decision. If you do decide to get one, I know you will love her/him. They are wonderful!

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

It really depends on how gentle your children are. I've been around toddlers who are Maltese-safe and I've been around older kids who are just too wild and would make a Maltese nervous. And I agree about no matter how gentle your kids are, their friends would require a lot of supervision.

If I were you, I would look into a breed that is a little calmer and sturdier--have you considered a Bichon Frise?
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

I agree maltese are a very fragile breed but also so loving, king and gentle!

There is alot of maintanance that goes into them like others have suggested so you must be dedicated to doing this as your children will not be able to groom them until they are a little older so as not to pull or hurt the dog.

I do not see a problem with having one around children if you manage the situation correctly. There are many members who have children and some that have started a family after they have had there malteses a few years etc and many that have grandchildren who visit regulaly.

The main thing is you must be able to manage the situation ensure your children know the ground rules from day one, make sure that they are monitored when playing and do not get to rough and if im honest arent left alone with your puppy unsepervised (thats just my opinion)

I do think its do-able and it could very well be the making of your children and family as Stacy says. You just need to be in charge and manage it correctly!

Thats my 2 cents anyways i dont have children but do have a step daughter (8) and nieces (2-5) and do intend to have a family of my own in the future and i cant wait for Maizy to be a part of that!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

Yes, a Maltese is a fragile little dog(4-7 pounds) and very high maintenance.. you would more than likely be the one responsible for the dog so is this what YOU want? A Maltese is more like a human infant more so than any other breed, they can be clingy and demanding..I have 3 of them and all of my kids are grown. I am also retired and have the time to devote to them..IMHO, a Maltese is not the best choice for growing families...there are alternative breeds similar to Maltese that might be a better choice, e.g. Bichon Frise, or Havanese.